Scottish bootlegs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Scottish bootlegs

Post by rudebhoy »

Following the trouble at the Apollo in July (as dramatised in Rude Boy), the Apollo wasn't an option (can't recall if the band were barred from there, or simply chose not to book it again).

Instead they were booked for Glasgow University on the Sort It Out tour. However, at that time, unlike England, Scottish universities operated a strict students-only policy, meaning the general public could not buy tickets for their shows.

A couple of weeks before the Uni gig, they were playing Edinburgh, and for some reason were doing signing sessions in a couple of Glasgow record shops (Listen and Bruce's) that day.

I buttonholed Joe in Bruce's and said "why the fuck are you playing a gig which only students can get into?" He was taken aback by this, and asked a few people if this was right. When he found it was correct, he said "we need to do something about this".

I was there with a mate who had a motorbike, so I offered him my crash helmet and suggested he go up to the venue to sort it out". Joe said ok, put the helmet on, and my mate shot off on the bike with Joe holding on for dear life"

Caroline Coon who managing them then came over and gave me a real bollocking, saying "if he breaks his leg on that bike, the tour will be cancelled, the band will be bankrupted blah blah blah". Paul and Topper just laughed at her.

Anyway, the rest of the story is Joe and my mate drive up to the Uni, find the box office, and Joe says "can I have 2 tickets for The Clash please?" The guy behind the desk (who has no idea who he's talking to) asks to see his student card, Joe says he's not a student, and the guy tells him "if you're not a student, you can't buy tickets". Joe says "in that case, the gig is cancelled" and explans who he is. Joe and my mate then get taken to meet the guy in charge, Joe tells him that unless they put the tickets on sale to everyone, the band won't play the gig. The Uni refuse, so Joe tells them it's off and heads back down to Bruce's.

He tells the story to the rest of the band who agree he has done the right thing. Ms Coon is seething but doesn't say anything.

Me and my mate were now thick as thieves with Joe, went through to Edinburgh where we were put in the guest list, had a few beers with Topper and his girlfriend Wendy in the pub before the gig, and ended up in the dressing room till 3am smoking weed and drinking brandy with Joe. Happy days! We crashed the bike on the way back to Glasgow, but that's another story ;)

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Happy Days.
Love hearing the stories of yesteryear.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Great story, rudybHoy! Though I now remember you've told it before, but well worth retelling!
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

That's a fucking awesome story.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Rad.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Great story.

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

great story !!!!!!!!! woo-hoo..
If you don't hate the Clash, you don't love them enough - Olaf

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Now THAT'S a story.

rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by rudebhoy »

couple of minor snippets from the above.

At the first signing (in Listen), the shop was playing GEER. Joe told them to take it off and put on some Jerry Lee Lewis, which they did, much to the bemusement of the massed punks.

In Bruce's, I nicked the sleeve for Junior Murvin's Police and Thieves LP, and got them to sign it. Mick signed it "Endorsed!!" Have still got the sleeve, should really get it framed.

When Joe and my mate were waiting to see the head honcho at the Uni, there was a piano in the room, so Joe sat down and started playing it. I asked my mate what he played, but he never had a clue!

In the dressing room after the Edinburgh gig, someone came in with a GEER sleeve for signing. Joe scrawled "Bernie" with an arrow pointing to the cowboy corpse on it :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

rudebhoy wrote:In the dressing room after the Edinburgh gig, someone came in with a GEER sleeve for signing. Joe scrawled "Bernie" with an arrow pointing to the cowboy corpse on it :mrgreen:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love that.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Great story!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

pete_21
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by pete_21 »

Amazing story!!!

simplehumblechap
Corner Soul

Post by simplehumblechap »

Hi folks
No i didn't disappear - I was off on holiday trying to catch a bit of the old skin cancer.
the tapes are still here and are safe. Ive been reading up on how to get them onto cd (a few of you pm'd me kindly offering this service which is cool but I would like to do it myself. If I can't get the best results though I may drop you a note!)
I've invested in equipment so am trying my hand at it.

To let you all know I might be putting the tapes on ebay because since i first posted about them here Ive had incredible financial offers for them. I wont say what ive been offered but let just say that if people seriously want to give me such money for a set of dusty old tapes I'm not really prepared to argue with them. lol Especially since I've just moved into a new house and my motor tax is due in October.
Maybe you see flogging them on ebay as "not punk" or whatever, but I never really cared for the attitudes on punk in the first place, (neither did the origginal punks who all eneded up rich and fat from the proceeds of their work!)

Ill keep this board posted about any ebay developments. Although If you buy them you must know that you can get the original tapes, but that I'll be keeping cdr copies for myself. :)

Steven

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

simplehumblechap wrote:Hi folks
No i didn't disappear - I was off on holiday trying to catch a bit of the old skin cancer.
the tapes are still here and are safe. Ive been reading up on how to get them onto cd (a few of you pm'd me kindly offering this service which is cool but I would like to do it myself. If I can't get the best results though I may drop you a note!)
I've invested in equipment so am trying my hand at it.

To let you all know I might be putting the tapes on ebay because since i first posted about them here Ive had incredible financial offers for them. I wont say what ive been offered but let just say that if people seriously want to give me such money for a set of dusty old tapes I'm not really prepared to argue with them. lol Especially since I've just moved into a new house and my motor tax is due in October.
Maybe you see flogging them on ebay as "not punk" or whatever, but I never really cared for the attitudes on punk in the first place, (neither did the origginal punks who all eneded up rich and fat from the proceeds of their work!)

Ill keep this board posted about any ebay developments. Although If you buy them you must know that you can get the original tapes, but that I'll be keeping cdr copies for myself. :)

Steven
No worries mate, sell them for as much as you can get then put the CDr up here :mrgreen:

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Good luck, especially with selling the gig that never happened.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?