What was the actual songwriting split?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Guest1

What was the actual songwriting split?

Post by Guest1 »

A lot of the songs are credited to Strummer/Jones but did Joe ever write any chord progressions for the band? My impression was that he wrote the bulk of the lyrics and Mick obviously took care of the chords. Riffs, leads etc...
Sorry if this comes across as a real newbie question. I’ve been a fan of the clash for years but always heard that joe hardly ever laid down guitar tracks even in the studio, that was mostly Mick. Obviously doesn’t diminish his role in band in any shape or form as the worlds greatest frontman but still interesting nonetheless.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What was the actual songwriting split?

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 8:37pm
A lot of the songs are credited to Strummer/Jones but did Joe ever write any chord progressions for the band? My impression was that he wrote the bulk of the lyrics and Mick obviously took care of the chords. Riffs, leads etc...
Sorry if this comes across as a real newbie question. I’ve been a fan of the clash for years but always heard that joe hardly ever laid down guitar tracks even in the studio, that was mostly Mick. Obviously doesn’t diminish his role in band in any shape or form as the worlds greatest frontman but still interesting nonetheless.
He did write riffs and he did play in the studio. He liked to downplay his guitar skills, but was better than he gave himself credit for. There is a thread somewhere with the broken down songwriting credits but I can't find it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Also, I'm pretty sure Joe and Mick were in a publishing partnership like Lennon and McCartney where if one of them wrote a song it had to be credited to the pair of them. The fact there is not one solo writing credit for either of them across 150 songs bears this out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Heston wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 10:06pm
Also, I'm pretty sure Joe and Mick were in a publishing partnership like Lennon and McCartney where if one of them wrote a song it had to be credited to the pair of them. The fact there is not one solo writing credit for either of them across 150 songs bears this out.
Interesting. It’s hard to tell their writing styles apart. I always though protex blue had to have been a strummer composition. Very 101ers rockabilly sort of thing but alas it’s an old London SS song so what do I know.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

CK has a chapter hypothesizing about this in his Clash City Showdown. I haven't read it in a while but as I recall, he tended to throw the guitar parts to Joe that used a lot of short, stabbing phrasing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

I think a lot of people naturally assume that Mick wrote the lyrics for the songs he sings but I'm not sure if that was always the case. Aside from Lost in the Supermarket, Up In Heaven seems a Joe lyric, as does Inoculated City.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Similarly, I don't think most people would intuit that Complete Control is a Mick song.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 2:38pm
Similarly, I don't think most people would intuit that Complete Control is a Mick song.
And Janie Jones.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 1:38pm
I think a lot of people naturally assume that Mick wrote the lyrics for the songs he sings but I'm not sure if that was always the case. Aside from Lost in the Supermarket, Up In Heaven seems a Joe lyric, as does Inoculated City.
It's also weird that Mick seems to misremember some of these things. I remember Route 19 was very clear about I think Card Cheat being a Joe lyric but Mick saying differently recently.

Edit - When this was discussed here: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 37#p159137
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I don’t know the specifics, but Mick’s memory is extraordinarily good. It’s amazing what he remembers, not only about the Clash.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 1:38pm
The Prisoner seems VERY Joe to me, same with Gates of the West.

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 3:39pm
I don’t know the specifics, but Mick’s memory is extraordinarily good. It’s amazing what he remembers, not only about the Clash.
No chance of a book one day, Teddy?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 5:24pm
I would jump on that so damn quick. I wonder if Mick's predilection for always looking forward would preclude such an endeavor.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 6:26pm
Heston wrote:
I would jump on that so damn quick. I wonder if Mick's predilection for always looking forward would preclude such an endeavor.
Topper's book seems to have gone MIA.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:44am
Kory wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 6:26pm
Heston wrote:
Topper's book seems to have gone MIA.
And Bernies too. Though he said he’d personally email me when it becomes available.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.