Boston Is a Land Of Whimsy

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Boston Is a Land Of Whimsy

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 8:38pm
Taxachusetts!
20% tax?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 9:25pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 8:38pm
Taxachusetts!
20% tax?
16.3461538%

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater

I’ve got to believe the ‘water bottles’ excuse, they weren’t in Weymouth, they were at the MFA.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 May 2019, 12:28am
I’ve got to believe the ‘water bottles’ excuse, they weren’t in Weymouth, they were at the MFA.
...The museum also said it had found that visitors made racist comments to the students on two occasions. It said that it had "identified the patrons who made the disparaging remarks and revoked their membership." They are now banned from the museum's grounds. .

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
25 May 2019, 12:36pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
...The museum also said it had found that visitors made racist comments to the students on two occasions. It said that it had "identified the patrons who made the disparaging remarks and revoked their membership." They are now banned from the museum's grounds. .
I guess that’s good. We should know who. Like when you go to a bodega in Queens and they have photos of the thieves on the door.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 May 2019, 11:58pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I guess that’s good. We should know who. Like when you go to a bodega in Queens and they have photos of the thieves on the door.
The beer/liquor store I go to does this. But not on the door on a wall behind the register.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2019, 7:57am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
The beer/liquor store I go to does this. But not on the door on a wall behind the register.
So, when I was an undergrad, there was one historian in particular who got me into history as an actual vocation. The guy is brilliant, but with some personality … quirks. Among these is/was a habit for writing bum cheques. One day a classmate tells us that he was in a pharmacy and looks up at the wall of shame bounced cheques, and there's our prof. Classmate starts laughing and the guy behind the till asks, "Which one?" Classmate points and the guy says dryly, "Oh yeah. The perfesser." Better yet, the cheque was for, like, $2.98. I lived in roughly the same area, so the next time I was in there, I made a point of looking and, yup, bounced cheque for a ridiculously small amount.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2019, 8:36am
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

So, when I was an undergrad, there was one historian in particular who got me into history as an actual vocation. The guy is brilliant, but with some personality … quirks. Among these is/was a habit for writing bum cheques. One day a classmate tells us that he was in a pharmacy and looks up at the wall of shame bounced cheques, and there's our prof. Classmate starts laughing and the guy behind the till asks, "Which one?" Classmate points and the guy says dryly, "Oh yeah. The perfesser." Better yet, the cheque was for, like, $2.98. I lived in roughly the same area, so the next time I was in there, I made a point of looking and, yup, bounced cheque for a ridiculously small amount.
My liquor store does that too thieves and bad checks.

But yeah 2.98 that's pretty ridiculous. I'm amazed that there are people who would carry around a checkbook but not have $5 or $10 in their pocket/wallet. He clearly wasn't trying to get over on anyone.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2019, 8:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:

But yeah 2.98 that's pretty ridiculous. I'm amazed that there are people who would carry around a checkbook but not have $5 or $10 in their pocket/wallet. He clearly wasn't trying to get over on anyone.
He was, so the rumour went, banned from the faculty club's restaurant for non-payment. Eventually the university garnished his salary to pay the club. Rumour, but consistent with him. He was a moderately successful conman who sought to avoid paying for anything.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2019, 9:05am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

He was, so the rumour went, banned from the faculty club's restaurant for non-payment. Eventually the university garnished his salary to pay the club. Rumour, but consistent with him. He was a moderately successful conman who sought to avoid paying for anything.
That's interesting. So was it always small stuff I wonder? It would be so much easier to get away with small amounts.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2019, 9:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2019, 9:05am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

That's interesting. So was it always small stuff I wonder? It would be so much easier to get away with small amounts.
So much is rumour, but we do know that he got his house taken away by the bank for not making mortgage payments and he was evicted at least once for not paying rent. But he did mostly scam his way into his job, lying about almost being done his dissertation when he was hired. The guy is genuinely brilliant, but seemingly pathologically driven to scam even tho he had to know that it would catch up. When the Boss and I were in NC doing our MA's, he applied for a job in our department and cited us in his application letter. So they informally asked us about him. We said that he's an incredible teacher but no way no how do you want him as a colleague. (We didn't actually scuttle him; he wasn't going to be shortlisted anyway.)

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I hate Boston so much right now. I hate the band Boston. I hate Zdeno Chára, whose last name means "shit" in Hebrew. I hate Patrick Marchand's ugly face. I hate Sam Adams Boston Lager. I hate Sully. I hate Denis Leary. I hate Aerosmith. I hate the John Hancock Tower. I hate the Gardner Museum. I hate the Kennedys. I hate molasses. I hate Cheers. I hate Fanuel Hall. I hate Quincy Market. I hate that show Boston Legal. I hate Dunkin Donuts. I hate John Cena. I hate that the Red Sox own a patent for "Fenway Green." I hate Revere Beach. I hate clam chowder.

This is all sung to the tune of I Hate the TV by the Violent Femmes.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
28 May 2019, 10:13am
I hate Boston so much right now. I hate the band Boston. I hate Zdeno Chára, whose last name means "shit" in Hebrew. I hate Patrick Marchand's ugly face. I hate Sam Adams Boston Lager. I hate Sully. I hate Denis Leary. I hate Aerosmith. I hate the John Hancock Tower. I hate the Gardner Museum. I hate the Kennedys. I hate molasses. I hate Cheers. I hate Fanuel Hall. I hate Quincy Market. I hate that show Boston Legal. I hate Dunkin Donuts. I hate John Cena. I hate that the Red Sox own a patent for "Fenway Green." I hate Revere Beach. I hate clam chowder.

What about that candy, boston baked beans?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
28 May 2019, 10:13am

What about Boston Public?