movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by daredevil »

Bruce Lee's daughter is not happy with how her father is shown in OUATIH.

https://www.thewrap.com/bruce-lee-daugh ... annon-lee/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Seattle Cinerama is doing a "Summer Trip" film festival, and I've picked up tickets for Big Lebowski, Wild at Heart, and Do the Right Thing. Should be a good one!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 10:11pm
Bruce Lee's daughter is not happy with how her father is shown in OUATIH.

https://www.thewrap.com/bruce-lee-daugh ... annon-lee/
I saw that. It's fiction, I mean how do we know Sharon Tate really liked Paul Revere & the Raiders? [SPOILER IN WHITE] Well, according to the movie, I suppose we could ask her! ;) /spoiler
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

We watched Danny Collins last night. Random pick on Showtime. It was a really well done film. Pacino was excellent (as was most of the cast). The director (I think it was his first feature) did a great job because I think the story could have fallen into cliche territory very quickly - but it was handled in a very poignant way. Recommended.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 9:05pm
Funny, because the illustrations match two keys scenes from the film. The bus/field trip, and the escape at the end.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/a ... in-phoenix

I'm actually kinda intrigued by this one. I haven't really thought much about the many, many superhero flicks of the past couple decades—Watchmen and the animated Spider-man one are the only movies I can say I truly like; the rest are a shoulder shrug (tho I'll bet I haven't even seen half of them)—but this seems like grungy fun darkness.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 6:12pm
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/a ... in-phoenix

I'm actually kinda intrigued by this one. I haven't really thought much about the many, many superhero flicks of the past couple decades—Watchmen and the animated Spider-man one are the only movies I can say I truly like; the rest are a shoulder shrug (tho I'll bet I haven't even seen half of them)—but this seems like grungy fun darkness.
The Joker movie looks really interesting. I saw the trailer on Youtube.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Lizzie (2018) Chloe Sevigny plays the infamous axe murderess form the 1800s who gives her father 40 whacks after years of dickery. Kristen Stewart plays the abused servant girl. Dennis O’Hare and the Fear the Walking Dead mom are also in it. Stick to the end and be rewarded with a good deal of surprise nudity. Overall forgettable.

All the Colors of the Dark (1972) Weird giallo from Sergio Martinio heavily influenced by Rosemary’s Baby. Edwige Fenech suffers from emotional trauma from losing her unborn child in an auto accident some years ago. She finds herself becoming involved in a devil cult to ease her mind, or was she unknowingly pushed in that direction? Some great nudity from Edwige, she is the true queen of giallo. Not Martino’s best, but good enough.

Village of the Damned (1960) A small England town goes unconscious for several hours and when it wakes up, all women of age are pregnant. Including virgin teens, and the wife of a guy who was away in the military. The children are born highly intelligent, with creepy blond hair and glowing eyes. They can read minds and communicate with eachother through thought. And anyone who wishes them harm is surely going to find some harm of their own. George Sanders and the lovely Barbara Shelly are one set of parents, and Sanders convinces authorities that he can teach them and that they have a place in society. He's wrong. Based on the Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham, same guy who wrote Day of the Triffids. 10/10 classic.

Here Comes the Devil (2012) A couple loses their pre-teen daughter and son near some caves during a family trip. They are found the next morning, seemingly unharmed, but a doctor visit reveals that the girl may have been violated, though she’s not talking. The man and wife set out to deal some vigilante justice to the creepy pervert who they spotted near the caves, but their plan doesn’t go off very smoothly. Meanwhile, the babysitter has a horrifying experience with the children, who haven’t been the same since the incident. I don’t want to give too much away, but this had me glued the screen, and loaded with violence and nudity. Filmed in Mexico by Spanish director Adrián García Bogliano, in Spanish with subtitles. More movies like this, please, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! 2nd watch for me, Bogliano's next movie would be Late Phases.

Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976) Violent and outrageous kung fu action highlight this one, about a blind master seeking vengeance on the one-armed boxer who killed his pupils. The old master takes the head of every one-armed man he finds (surprisingly a lot!) on the way to disrupting the most insane to-the-death tournament I’ve ever seen. I’m not that well versed in this genre, but I’ve seen this one many times.Night Must Fall (1964) British remake of a 1937 favorite of mine starring Albert Finney as a psychotic axe murderer who charms a wheelchair-bound old lady into hiring him on as a full time handyman while he tries to get into her hot daughter’s pants, all the while hiding the severed head that he keeps in a hatbox as a souvenir. Much less subtle than the ’37 version.

Ayla (2017) A man has been mourning the loss of his 4 year old sister for over 30 years now, and miraculously wishes her back. Of course, there’s something wrong with her. Reminded me a little bit of Bob Clark’s Deathdream. Or Pet Sematary too, I guess. Nudity: yes. Dee Wallace plays the mom.

Delirium aka Photo of Gloria (1987) Lamberto Bava’s late-era giallo stars enormous-breasted Serena Grandi as Gloria, a former nude model who now owns a popular men’s magazine, whose recent cover girls are all turning up murdered, and she appears to be next. Featuring multiple beautiful Italian actress who bare it all, as well as Daria Nicolodi and several cast members from Demoni. OK for a giallo, A+ for nudity.

The Theatre Bizzare (2017) Anthology includes a Lovecraftian story about a toad-witch-succubus directed by Richard Frankin, a jealous boyfriend from the director of Combat Shock, and dick-chopping nightmare from Tom Savini. Other stories featured a woman who sticks hypodermic needles in the eyes of derelicts and then her own, which made my fucking skin crawl, a dull tale about a little girl realizing the concept of death, and a colorful food fetish story. Udo Kier played the theater host in the creepy wraparound segment. Nudity in almost all of the segments.

Turkey Shoot aka Escape 2000 aka Blood Camp Thatcher (1982) Great Ozploitation flick set in the near future. Steven Railsback (Helter Skelter) and Olivia Hussey (Black Christmas) are prisoners in a co-ed detention camp run by the cruel Warden Thatcher. Prisoners are beaten, humiliated and killed on a regular basis, and the Warden has set up a hunting party so his high society friends can hunt the most dangerous game! Railsback, Hussey, another busty blond and two other male prisoners are the targets, and boy do they fight back! This was filled with graphic ultra-violence, enough to please any gorehound. Machetes, machine guns, booby traps, exploding bow and arrows, this film was a blast. Also features a nice shower scene. Olivia's boobs were a body double. RECOMMENDED!

Zombie aka Zombi 2 (1979) Lucio Fulci’s splatter classic, about a newspaper reporter and a woman (Tisa Farrow) looking for her missing father on a remote South American island, only to find a zombie infestation. Infamous scenes include zombie vs shark and splinter to the eyeball. Bad luck for the couple on a boating vacation who are approached by the protagonist to “Please drop us off on Zombie Island!” Nudity: yes, Ultra gore: double yes! Remember, Dawn of the Dead was known as “Zombi” in Italy, thus the confusing alternate title.

Rosemary’s Baby (1968) Roman Polanski’s classic about a young woman (Mia Farrow) trying to protect her unborn child from a Satanic cult. First class performances all the way around, including John Cassavettes, Ruth Gordon (Best Supporting Actress), Sidney Blackmer, Maurice Evans, Ralph Bellamy and more. Look for producer William Castle in a cameo at a phone booth. 10/10

The Shining (1980) I loved this when I was 10, not so much when I was 30. Now at 50 I thought it was pretty fucking good. I guess I’ll try again at 70!

Horns (2013) Daniel Radcliffe is accused of murdering his girlfriend and the entire population of the small town believes him to be guilty. One morning he sprouts devil-horns on his forehead and in some related way, no one who speaks to him can lie. This is a fun horror fantasy from Alexandre Aja from a novel by Joe Hill. Some good King-ish coming-of-age stuff in flashback scenes. With Juno Temple, James Remar, and Heather Graham. Bowie's "Heroes" plays twice.

The Bloodstained Shadow (1978) A dull and overly complex giallo about a man who returns to his island home and witness a murder that reminds him of another murder he saw as a kid. A small amount of nudity from the female lead, Stefania Caisini, who played Sara in Suspiria (the one who crawled through the barbed wire). Not recommended.

F/X (1986) Bryan Brown is horror movie F/X whiz, who is approached by the CIA to stage a fake assassination of a mob informant, only to realize he’s been set up. Now he’s on the run and must use his movie-magic know-how to thwart the killers on his trail. Brian Dennehy is a detective who doesn’t play by the rules. I loved this when I was a teenager, it’s still fun, but corny.

Pet Sematary (2019) The 2nd adaptation of Stephen King’s novel mirrors the 1989 version in the first half of the film before making some changes, but not enough to make feel this was worth my while. I didn’t feel any of the characters had any charisma. Not a particularly bad movie, but I wouldn’t watch it again.

Incident in a Ghostland (2018) Crystal Reed (Gotham, Swamp Thing) is a horror novelist who sparks old memories when she writes a book about the brutal home invasion her family suffered when she was kid. Some brutal action, but I found the killers a little clichéd. Drives an ice cream truck and like to smell crotches? Anyway, it was still pretty good.

Escape Room (2019) One of those clever-ways-to-die movies, a group of strangers are invited to an escape room with a large cash prize, but find themselves in a battle for life and death. It was entertaining enough. Vampire Jessica from True Blood was in it, and it was from the director of The Taking of Deborah Logan.

Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972) First entry in Amando de Ossorio’s four-film Blind Dead saga. The Satanic Templar Knights performed human sacrifice rituals to give them eternal life in the 13th century and were eventually hung for their crimes and had their eyes eaten out by birds and lie dormant…until now. Pretty girl Victoria jumps off a train in the middle of nowhere because her former boarding school roommate seems to be moving in on her boyfriend. She decides to rough it in a sleeping bag witch sets the events of the film in motion. The dormant and eyeless Templar Knights rise from their tombs and drink her blood, because that’s what Templar Knights do. Victoria’s friends go searching for her the next day, and find out the town’s superstitious legends while they’re at it. The bring a drug dealer and his sleazy girlfriend for the ride. Hey, more blood for the Templars. Several beautiful girls in this one, some nudity, and lots of 70s euro-gore made this a hit, and worthy of three sequels. Some American distributors tried to pull a fast one on audiences by tricking them into thinking this was a Planet of the Apes sequel, by taking a ridiculous spoken word tie-in to the opening sequence and calling the film "Revenge From Planet Ape".

Return of the Evil Dead (1973) Second entry in the Tombs of the Blind Dead franchise. A Portuguese village’s centennial celebration is turned into a massacre when the town’s cemetery caretaker recites an incantation that brings the bloodthirsty Templar Knights from their grave. A love triangle between a fireworks expert, a shady mayor and his busty girlfriend make up the key components of the group who tries to survive the night. A pretty girl who was the first to encounter the blind dead, the mayor’s cronies and a couple with a young daughter make up the rest. One by one the group gets smaller. Lots of gore and some nudity in this sequel that’s just as good as the first.

Timecrimes (2007) Spanish horror/SciFi with subtitles. A man sees a naked woman in the bushes near his home. He goes to investigate, and is then chased into a nearby laboratory by another man with a bandaged face, where he enters a machine that sends him back in time a few hours. The less details I give the better, but let me say the story is never dull, and there some good nudity. This the first feature film from writer-director Nacho Vigalondo (Extraterrestrial, Colossal), who also acted in it. Keep your ears open for some Blondie on the soundtrack. I decided to revisit this one after nearly ten years and it’s as good as I remembered.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Booksmart. See it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 7:36pm
The Shining (1980) I loved this when I was 10, not so much when I was 30. Now at 50 I thought it was pretty fucking good. I guess I’ll try again at 70!
I have such a conflicted view of this movie. On the one hand, it's beautifully shot and constructed—just really vibrant. But the various insane theories around the movie have, however unfairly, affected my reading of it. I see the things that the nuts point out and I get annoyed with them. Plus, to a much lesser degree, I prefer King's novel, so his criticism of what Moon Landing Kubrick did to his book also grates a bit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Mimi wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 8:11pm
Booksmart. See it.
it's on my list, looks cute

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

It Chapter 2 was really good. Funny and creepy and with the kind of big Stephen Kinging that usually comes off as corny.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 3:25am
It Chapter 2 was really good. Funny and creepy and with the kind of big Stephen Kinging that usually comes off as corny.
Yeah, I took my daughter to see it last night and we both really enjoyed it. Subtle humour all the way through and a couple of genuine laugh out loud moments. Pennywise is pretty damn scary as well.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 5:07am
Silent Majority wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 3:25am
Yeah, I took my daughter to see it last night and we both really enjoyed it. Subtle humour all the way through and a couple of genuine laugh out loud moments. Pennywise is pretty damn scary as well.
For a 3 hour film, it really felt like half that length to me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/