movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by daredevil »

Nobody (2021)An ordinary man (Bob Odenkirk) stands up against two burglers that break into his house. Feeling guilty for not physically confronting the intruders when he had the upper hand (which led to his son getting punched and his daughter losing her favorite bracelet) he decides to track down the intruders. Unable to retrieve his daughter's bracelet, he releases his anger on some thugs who are bullying a young lady on a bus. This leads to an unexpected turn of events that brings his secret past to the surface. Loved this one, It was great to see a movie at a theater again.
We were thinking of jumping theaters to see The Courier, but decided a lot of theaters need revenue. We bought tickets for tomorrow.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
01 May 2021, 9:52pm
Nobody (2021)An ordinary man (Bob Odenkirk) stands up against two burglers that break into his house. Feeling guilty for not physically confronting the intruders when he had the upper hand (which led to his son getting punched and his daughter losing her favorite bracelet) he decides to track down the intruders. Unable to retrieve his daughter's bracelet, he releases his anger on some thugs who are bullying a young lady on a bus. This leads to an unexpected turn of events that brings his secret past to the surface. Loved this one, It was great to see a movie at a theater again.
We were thinking of jumping theaters to see The Courier, but decided a lot of theaters need revenue. We bought tickets for tomorrow.
I loved it too!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
01 May 2021, 10:38pm
daredevil wrote:
01 May 2021, 9:52pm
I loved it too!
Yeah great movie, its a unique take on the action genre. The first scenes spot on showing how routine and mundane a middle aged man's life is.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Bell From Hell (1973) A young man is released after years in an asylum. He plays a few practical jokes on his wheelchair-bound aunt who controls his estate, and her three daughters, but the pranks gradually increase in danger, suggesting his release may have been premature. This is a very strange movie! One of the daughters is Maribel Martin who starred in two of my alltime faves, La Residencia, and Blood Splattered Bride. A small amount of nudity, and some slaughterhouse scenes, so beware. The version I saw was English dubbed, from Spanish.

Delinquent Girl Boss: Tokyo Drifters (1970) Tokyo Drifting ,meant something else 50 years ago! This is part of a series of reform school girls trying to make good and having to fight for their dignity against yakuza. It’s practically the same movie as the other in the series I saw, DGB: Worthless to Confesss, and it doesn't get too violent until the end. Reiko Oshida plays Rika the Punk, a bad girl with a heart of gold, and makes this relatively tame pinky film worth watching.

Boys From County Hell (2020) A father and son team of contractors, who don’t get along by the way, knock down an ancient burial site/tourist trap where the oldest known vampire is said to be buried. Guess what, he was! A vampire so powerful he can draw blood from your body by just being in your general vicinity! Mostly a comedy, not bad for a one-timer.

Nobody (2021) Bob Odenkirk is a seemingly everyday Joe, but after a home invasion he goes out looking for trouble, and finds it by kicking the asses of dozens of dozens of people in this awesome, Death-Wishy action flick from the writer of John Wick and the director of Hardcore Henry. Does this mean I would like John Wick? Or Hardcore Henry? Honestly, I wouldn’t think to give either of those the time of day, but holy fuck, this movie was fucking great.

Into the Dark “Blood Moon” (2021) HULU’s mediocre movie of the month follows a single mom who goes town to town caring for her young son, whom she locks in a cage once a month on the full moon to protect from the damage he’ll cause when he turns into a werewolf. Heavy on the drama, light on the horror, no action until the last 10 minutes, and even then it’s lackluster. Not to be confused with the 2001 TV movie of the same name (aka Wolf Girl), which was fantastic!

The McPherson Tape (1989) A young man with a camcorder tapes his nieces birthday party in a remote house in the woods. When the power suddenly goes out, three brothers go out to investigate and see an alien spacecraft. The aliens follow them back to the house where chaos ensues. What makes this 63 minute, zero budget film interesting is that it is found footage nearly 10 years before Blair Witch. Writer/director Dean Alito was able to remake this as a feature in 1998, I wouldn’t mind seeing it.

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) Bizarre film about a rundown mansion in the middle of nowhere, that has a bed that sucks people into it and dissolves then in a yellow, foamy, acid-like liquid. How do so many people end up on this bed in a condemned house? They just do. Later on a back story about a demon that turned into a bed (I think?), and all the while there was a dead artist who narrates the story from the walls of the house. Bizarre is an understatement. I've wanted to get this off my bucket list for a while. There’s blood and nudity.

Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs (1974) Miki Sugimoto is a cop (more like a spy, translation?), imprisoned for shooting a rapey ambassador in the dick, who gets a reprieve if she can join a yakuza gang and rescue a sleazy politician's kidnapped daughter on the down low. She has a bag of tricks, which includes a long-chained pair of handcuffs that she uses to strangle her victims, which she often does naked. Japanese exploitation at its best, and you'll only need the first 5 minutes to confirm that! The franchise resumed in the 90s and 00s with different actresses and I would think had some inspiration on La Femme Nikita.

Scissors (1991) Sharon Stone dresses like an old lady repairs old dolls as a hobby in a New York penthouse, where she lives next door to two rich twins, both played by Steve Railsback. Somehow, she can afford a NY penthouse and a full time therapist despite having no means of income. After fending off an elevator rape that no one believes, she ends up stuck in an a model apartment with a dead body with a talking bird. I would have bet money that this ridiculous psychological thriller would have an online presence simply due to how unbelievably awful it was, but no, it has a moderate rating and a mixed bag of good and bad reviews! Sharon, who takes her top off, was still a few movies away from breaking it big in Basic Instinct. Also with Ronny Cox and Michelle Phillips.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs - Season 3 Episode 2

Audition (1999) A casting director friend of a middle-aged widow in the film industry sets up a phony audition so he can find his future wife. Underhanded as that may seem, the guy seemed to have good intentions. I mean, it wasn't a Weinstein situation. Anyway, of course, he picked a psycho killer, why wouldn’t he? This cult fave from Takashi Miike managed to be pretty reserved for his standards during the first hour, but it goes off the rails into a batshit, gory fever dream!

Class of 1984 (1982) Probably my favorite high school exploitation flick. Perry King is the new music teacher at Lincoln High, where all the students carry knives and are controlled by a drug and prostitution running gang, led by Timothy Van Patten (Salami from White Shadow) Roddy McDowall is a biology teacher who carries a gun to class and after numerous assaults, he uses it during a lesson. Micheal J Fox is one of the terrorized good kids. Nudity, drugs, rape, revenge, ultra-violence, explosions and a show-stopping arm amputation in shop class. Soundtrack includes Alice Cooper, Fear, and Teenage Head. Tom Holland (Child’s Play, Fright Night) wrote the screenplay for this quasi-remake of 50s hit Blackboard Jungle with director Mark Lester.

Damn, I just watched Audition like a month ago, but it was so worth watching again, what a movie. And Class was always a fave, I'd actually been holding off on that one in hopes Joe Bob would show it. Did Joe Bob make a Dario Argento cheese joke at the end? Where have I heard that before......

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs – Season 3 Episode 3

Bride of Re-Animator (1989) Brian Yuzna, who produced Stuart Gordon’s instant classic in 1985, takes the directorial reigns in this sequel which finds Herbert West and Daniel Cain now doctors at Miskatonik eight months after the massacre, and still experimenting on cadavers. How Cain would still have anything to do with West, let alone remain his roommate and assistant is pretty tough to justify. Anyway, there’s an inspector with a dead wife that’s asking too many questions, and before too long, its mayhem again. Kathleen Kinmont, who was the busty girl in Halloween 4, is a busty girl in this too. Also with the hot foreign exchange student from Summer School. Dr. Hill’s head makes a comeback too. Loaded with body horror, a Yuzna staple. Fun, but not in the same league as the original.

Next of Kin (1982) Linda returns to her small town home after her mother’s death to run the family business, an assisted living community run out a creepy old mansion. She learns of several suspicious deaths that had occurred over the years and does some investigating with the help of her mom’s diary, old hospital records and some creepy dreams. A young John Jarratt (Wolf Creek) plays the love interest. Very slow paced and atmospheric Aussie movie, but with a really good payoff, as the last 15 minutes are dynamite.

Cut+Paste reviews from me, I saw both of these within the past year. Jeffrey Combs was the guest for the first film, and was delightful.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 5:20pm
tepista wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 5:17pm
Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 5:11pm
Anyone seen Saint Maud yet? From the hole-in-one production company A24—I can't find anywhere to watch it but a reliable source tells me it's damn good.
yeah, I think it's still one of those $20 movies. It'll come soon enough, but I'll be sure to post if I hear it streams somewhere.
Splendid, thanks!
Premiered on Hulu and Amazon today. Good movie, I didn't flip for it personally, but you know me, I deduct points whenever there aren't any lesbian vampires.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:27pm
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
Anyone seen Saint Maud yet? From the hole-in-one production company A24—I can't find anywhere to watch it but a reliable source tells me it's damn good.
yeah, I think it's still one of those $20 movies. It'll come soon enough, but I'll be sure to post if I hear it streams somewhere.
Splendid, thanks!
Premiered on Hulu and Amazon today. Good movie, I didn't flip for it personally, but you know me, I deduct points whenever there aren't any lesbian vampires.
What do you do for pansexual gill people?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Synchronic was interesting in a weird way. Not very good, but interesting.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2021, 8:28am
I sort of instinctively ignore movies with Jamie Dornan just like I do Tom Cruise and DiCaprio movies.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:11am
Mimi wrote:
I sort of instinctively ignore movies with Jamie Dornan just like I do Tom Cruise and DiCaprio movies.
It's hard for me to ignore Jamie Dornan. It's not hard for me to ignore Tom Cruise, tho.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:36pm
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
Splendid, thanks!
Whatever they want me to do.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:25am
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
It's hard for me to ignore Jamie Dornan. It's not hard for me to ignore Tom Cruise, tho.
I agree with this post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:43am
Mimi wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:25am
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I agree with this post.
Fair enough. I'll watch anything with Scarlett Johansson.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I read in the newspaper last week (yeah, I know, I still get a paper) that there's a new Guy Ritchie movie out, "Wrath Of Man". I'm not quite ready to hit the movie theaters yet, anybody seen it & how'd you like it?
I really like "Snatch" as well as "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels", hoping this one is right up there with those two as well.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
14 May 2021, 11:00am
I read in the newspaper last week (yeah, I know, I still get a paper) that there's a new Guy Ritchie movie out, "Wrath Of Man". I'm not quite ready to hit the movie theaters yet, anybody seen it & how'd you like it?
I really like "Snatch" as well as "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels", hoping this one is right up there with those two as well.
Snatch was fucking great.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:16am
Kory wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:36pm
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:

Splendid, thanks!
Whatever they want me to do.
Correct answer. I'll try to check the movie out this weekend—I was a bit dubious that it was as good as the initial recommender said, and your review confirms me a bit.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc