Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:15pm
Thank god for voice-controlled phones, amirite?
i'd be in a lot of trouble if i couldn't dictate my IMCT posts through voice command while cruising down the interstate oh fuck look out
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:23pm
Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:19pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:32pm
I’m never shaving with a standard razor again. Having pale and dry skin makes my skin look like it’s been massacred. Only electric clipper from here on out.
Take it from the voice of experience, don't use Nair hair remover on your face! When I was much younger, GF at time used it, I hated shaving with a passion (still do) do being the deep thinker I am, I applied that stuff to my face. Talk about a painful and red rash, took about a week for my skin to get back to where I could shave again.
My fantasy product would be some kind of stubble eradication cream. Slather that shit on, wipe it off, and it's Hoy's ass for a week.
Um, I'm not familiar with Matedog's backside, so I'll just have to take your word for it. :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:58pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I’m never shaving with a standard razor again. Having pale and dry skin makes my skin look like it’s been massacred. Only electric clipper from here on out.
Try carving out 4 REAL on your arm with an electric clipper. ;)
Lol. I remember doing that on my forearm in high school in red sharpie but no one got the joke because I live in America....
Haha like it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:23pm
Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:19pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Take it from the voice of experience, don't use Nair hair remover on your face! When I was much younger, GF at time used it, I hated shaving with a passion (still do) do being the deep thinker I am, I applied that stuff to my face. Talk about a painful and red rash, took about a week for my skin to get back to where I could shave again.
My fantasy product would be some kind of stubble eradication cream. Slather that shit on, wipe it off, and it's Hoy's ass for a week.
Um, I'm not familiar with Matedog's backside, so I'll just have to take your word for it. :mrgreen:
It's a subtle (maybe too subtle) reference to Hoy being a twink.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:28pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Lol. I remember doing that on my forearm in high school in red sharpie but no one got the joke because I live in America....
Haha like it.
I feel like if there was a made for Netflix Richey Biopic, he would become a household name over here. He’s more Kurt Cobain than Kurt Cobain.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 2:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Haha like it.
I feel like if there was a made for Netflix Richey Biopic, he would become a household name over here. He’s more Kurt Cobain than Kurt Cobain.
It would make for an interesting watch that's for certain. Having been a fan from very early on I did feel sad when he disappeared.

My first Manics gig was the Horse & Groom, Great Portland Street, London, Sept '89.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:03pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Haha like it.
It would make for an interesting watch that's for certain. Having been a fan from very early on I did feel sad when he disappeared.

My first Manics gig was the Horse & Groom, Great Portland Street, London, Sept '89.
Honestly the redemption ark with A Design for Life is one of the greatest stories in Rock N Roll.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Haha like it.

Honestly the redemption ark with A Design for Life is one of the greatest stories in Rock N Roll.
I do often wonder where they would've gone to if Richie hadn't of vanished. If they wouldn't of taken that long hard look at themselves and had to reevaluate things.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:26pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Haha like it.

I do often wonder where they would've gone to if Richie hadn't of vanished. If they wouldn't of taken that long hard look at themselves and had to reevaluate things.
In the book withdrawn traces they pretty much say that most of EMG was already written by the time of his disappearance. So stylistically I think it was probably inevitable that they move in more of the Brit Pop vein Richey or not. In fact even if he was still alive I think it’s pretty damn likely he would have gotten either kicked from the band for his own mental health purposes or he would have left on his own volition. I honestly think EMG is every bit as good as THB in its own special way. TIMT has good songs but is a bit beige in execution. I feel Lifeblood was where they actually really started to get back on track again.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

I don’t mind Nicky as a lyricist but I feel like James should contribute more to take the load off a bit. Nicky has at least 2-3 absolute clunkers per record. James is actually really good. Even Sean has written a few decent lyrics.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:38pm
I don’t mind Nicky as a lyricist but I feel like James should contribute more to take the load off a bit. Nicky has at least 2-3 absolute clunkers per record. James is actually really good. Even Sean has written a few decent lyrics.
I always felt James had enough on his plate musically. I still marvel at how he manages to fit some of those lyrics into a tune. Incredible musician an absolute power house.

The more recent James Bradfield solo album is great. The first took me a while to get into but it's cool. Nick's solo record is a real mixed bag.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:45pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:38pm
I always felt James had enough on his plate musically. I still marvel at how he manages to fit some of those lyrics into a tune. Incredible musician an absolute power house.

The more recent James Bradfield solo album is great. The first took me a while to get into but it's cool. Nick's solo record is a real mixed bag.
It’s really riff oriented which is refreshing. I feel like Nicky has the same issue lately as Elvis Costello did. His phrasing lends to a style of songwriting where everything is built around the lyrics. This can make things sound slightly awkward. I know James has always composed with the lyrics in front of him but on songs like International Blue and Futurology the tune almost seems secondary.
But yeah I would kill for an old school guitar god JDB record.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Honestly Slash N Burn, Motorcycle Emptiness, Sleepflower, and Faster are some of the greatest guitar riffs ever. Motorcycle Emptiness should be a radio staple in the US. Best song slash never wrote.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:56pm
Honestly Slash N Burn, Motorcycle Emptiness, Sleepflower, and Faster are some of the greatest guitar riffs ever. Motorcycle Emptiness should be a radio staple in the US. Best song slash never wrote.
It did get decent rotation here on release. It a really great track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:50pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:56pm
It did get decent rotation here on release. It a really great track.
It’s also a matter of timing. Released a year after never mind, had they come out in 89....