Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 7:20am
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 7:00am
Well, maybe the sons of the ruling classes that Golding would have gone to school with.
Nothing to do with the ruling classes as such mate. The hierarchy that occurs works on every level of society.

Maybe something Golding witnessed and he took inspirarion from. It's just human nature and someone will either be elected or take it on themselves to delegate others to lesser roles than themselves.
I interpret the novel to have a very ruling class instruction to it. Without the civilizing power of a proper education, people will turn into predatory monsters. You need these well-educated people to save society from human nature. It's the same bleak view of humanity that drives shit like The Walking Dead, that without external controls (run by our betters), we'll all kill each other.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 8:08am
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Well, maybe the sons of the ruling classes that Golding would have gone to school with.
Nothing to do with the ruling classes as such mate. The hierarchy that occurs works on every level of society.

Maybe something Golding witnessed and he took inspirarion from. It's just human nature and someone will either be elected or take it on themselves to delegate others to lesser roles than themselves.
I interpret the novel to have a very ruling class instruction to it. Without the civilizing power of a proper education, people will turn into predatory monsters. You need these well-educated people to save society from human nature. It's the same bleak view of humanity that drives shit like The Walking Dead, that without external controls (run by our betters), we'll all kill each other.
I guess the parallel being look at how those well educated fucks like Boris Johnson are screwing up people's lives with their misinformation service pumped daily into our homes. "Do this, but don't do that" be a good citizen and follow the rules we've set out for you. "You" being the operative word as "we" have our own agenda.

Would we all go around killing each other without rules? Nope only a minority of us who take some inane sense of self worth would stoop that low.

No one wants to work for "the man" but the majority of us have to work for a man.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 9:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I guess the parallel being look at how those well educated fucks like Boris Johnson are screwing up people's lives with their misinformation service pumped daily into our homes. "Do this, but don't do that" be a good citizen and follow the rules we've set out for you. "You" being the operative word as "we" have our own agenda.

Would we all go around killing each other without rules? Nope only a minority of us who take some inane sense of self worth would stoop that low.

No one wants to work for "the man" but the majority of us have to work for a man.
Exactly. I work union construction and one of the supervisors has no actual real hands on experience and refuses to get his hands dirty. His only qualification is that he went to school for four years to obtain a “construction management” degree. Needless to say the guy is absolutely clueless, and constantly shits on union workers for being “stuck up little pussies”. Sorry that we know our rights and refuse to be treated like serfs buddy. Perfect example of an “educated person” thinking they’re superior.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

As I've said before, it comes down to whether you think human beings are bad by nature or it's something taught (i.e., ideological). If we're naturally nasty creatures, that justifies coercive "civilizing" steps, with novels like Golding's showing what happens when the whip is no longer employed. It's a view that, not surprisingly, is endorsed by a strata of people who expect to hold the whip.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 10:06am
It's a view that, not surprisingly, is endorsed by a strata of people who expect to hold the whip.
And Internet forum moderators. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's a view that, not surprisingly, is endorsed by a strata of people who expect to hold the whip.
And Internet forum moderators. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 10:00am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Exactly. I work union construction and one of the supervisors has no actual real hands on experience and refuses to get his hands dirty. His only qualification is that he went to school for four years to obtain a “construction management” degree. Needless to say the guy is absolutely clueless, and constantly shits on union workers for being “stuck up little pussies”. Sorry that we know our rights and refuse to be treated like serfs buddy. Perfect example of an “educated person” thinking they’re superior.
Just sheer arrogance and disrespect. Plus I expect it hides his embarrassment at lacking experience.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

As I've said before, it comes down to whether you think human beings are bad by nature or it's something taught (i.e., ideological). If we're naturally nasty creatures, that justifies coercive "civilizing" steps, with novels like Golding's showing what happens when the whip is no longer employed. It's a view that, not surprisingly, is endorsed by a strata of people who expect to hold the whip.
Animalistic tendencies sure but inherently evil nope not for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 12:40pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just sheer arrogance and disrespect. Plus I expect it hides his embarrassment at lacking experience.
Hello,

If the pretentious educated guy was truly interested in learning, he'd listen to the staff and learn from their experiences. It's called life-long learning - I highly recommend it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 1:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 12:40pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

If the pretentious educated guy was truly interested in learning, he'd listen to the staff and learn from their experiences. It's called life-long learning - I highly recommend it.
Yep I learned long ago to let someone else do the work. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My wife burned broccoli. It smells disgusting.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 7:22pm
badly cooked broccoli makes me want to vomit. one of the worst smells imaginable.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 7:26pm
revbob wrote:
badly cooked broccoli makes me want to vomit. one of the worst smells imaginable.
That's how Im feeling.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
I like it raw with some spicy hummus.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 2:49pm
revbob wrote:
I like it raw with some spicy hummus.
Damn don't think i would enjoy it raw.