A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Miles Kane - Better Than That
Strangely less than the sum of its parts. That is, individual sections are cool and seem to be leading somewhere, but it never leaves that building of tension. Some kind of rearrangement might get it to a more satisfying place.

Hammell On Trial - I'm Gonna Watch You Sleep
Sounds like a demo. I kept waiting for it to turn into something bigger, but no. It’s fine as a sketch, but something should be done with it.

Silver Sun - I'll See You Around
Very solid power pop, marred only by the helium ELO vocals. Could have come out in ’77.

Michael Kiwanuka - You Ain't the Problem
Smooth, yet that fucking beat is hypnotic. You’re right about the cinematic aspect. It sends you to late 60s, early 70s films. Excellent shit.

Soap - Golden Days
Another 60s retro-sounding tune. It’s a shame it isn’t more distinctive. I mean, it’s fine while it’s playing, but it’s nothing to stick in one’s memory.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Miles Kane
I hear lots of 60s mod influence (or is it just that 60s mods were influenced by Motown?)... enjoyable enough but it just makes me want to listen to early Who. I'll probably be on a big Who binge for a while now.

Hammell On Trial
Never heard of him before and, TBH, if you hadn't mentioned this was a change of pace I don't think I'd be inclined to seek much more out. If I do stumble across some I'll give it a whirl though. This sounds like it belongs on a quirky film soundtrack (i.e. the film is quirky - not sure why I want to point that out)

I was immediately put off by the description of ELO backing vocals but I kind of liked it. Definitely sounds of it's time though. I can imagine Gary Crowley raving about this on his GLR show on Sunday afternoons.

Michael Kiwanuka
I loved the album for a while but TBH, I haven't returned to it for a long time now - don't know why. This is a great opening song.

Soap - Golden Days
I wanted to like Hard-Fi more than I actually did. I do like this though - I had no idea Soap even existed. Gotta love a song with a proper hard ending, none of that fade out nonsense.
Last edited by oliver on 29 Apr 2021, 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

There's something slightly irritating about his voice, but apart from that, a good song. Motown put through an XTC sieve.

I really liked how it started off, but then it didn't really go anywhere. Needs a chorus to make it more memorable.

Unconditionally love this one. How ELO sounded in my dreams.

Thought I wouldn't like this much at the start, but it turned out ok. Has a really cool, smooth groove. The background vox reminded me of a cartoon I watched as a child (Mr Rossi Looks for Happiness).

Soap - Golden Days
"I had no idea Soap even existed". Heh. More IMCT confessions like that, please.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Olaf wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 10:42am
"I had no idea Soap even existed". Heh. More IMCT confessions like that, please.
I did write a disclaimer after that but deleted it before hitting Submit. I prefer it this way :)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 8:32pm
I had no idea Soap even existed.
"Mickey Mouse had a gay dog?"

(If you understand this immediately, you're old as dirt.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 11:35am
oliver wrote:

I understand it and I feel old, but most people will tell me I'm NOT old.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:

You're honourary old.*

* There is no actual honour in this.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 4:16pm
Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:

You're honourary old.*

* There is no actual honour in this.
Just like knighthood!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm a big fan of the 4 on the floor Motown beat, so this appeals. The reverb/delay makes the mix just slightly muddy for me, but it's not offensive. 8/10

Man, the vocals are WAY louder than the music. Makes it sound really disconnected. The song itself is not really my thing, a little too laid back and relaxed. Vacation music. 2/10

This is pretty good, a pleasant listen although I don't think I'd seek it out. This might seem incongruous, but this could sound nice with some clever horns. 5/10

Good mood/feeling, and there's that four-on-the-floor beat again, supported by some great percussion. I like the sections this goes through, a good example of doing a lot with very little. I'll be checking more of this out. 9/10

Soap - Golden Days
I had the same reaction to this as the Silver Sun song. Pretty good, but nothing that really got me jazzed. 5/10

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:

I didn't understand it, but I recognized the actress. Guess that makes me just as old. Heston's bunch of fives seems to have put everyone in a nostalgic mood.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
01 May 2021, 9:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:

I didn't understand it, but I recognized the actress. Guess that makes me just as old. Heston's bunch of fives seems to have put everyone in a nostalgic mood.
It's from the late 70s, early 80s US sitcom Soap, which satirized soap operas. The line is from a scene where ditzy rich woman Jessica (in the picture) is told by her gay nephew (played by Billy Crystal) that plenty of notable historical figures were gay. He names a bunch, including Plato, to which she replies, astonished, "Mickey Mouse had a gay dog?"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Miles Kane - Better Than That - staetd off great the the vox kick in and Im a bit let down. Musc 8/10, vox 4/10, a solid 6/10

Hammell On Trial - I'm Gonna Watch You Sleep The only artist here Im familiar with. A friend of mine had one of his albums years ago and I remember enjoying it although I haven't listened to it since then probably over 20 years ago. I prefer his usual stlye. I did enjoy the lyrics though 7/10.

Surprise this doesn't work for me. Not horrible just isnt pushing my buttons nor plulling my levers, a bit dull overall. 5/10

Definitely movie material, like someone said seems lile something Tarantino would use. 6/10

Soap - Golden Days
Another new artist for me. Not bad, I was reminded a bit of Ted Leo here which is a plus in my book. 6.5/10

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Who's next?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 May 2021, 7:07pm
Who's next?
Silent Majority and then, ugh, you.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2021, 7:15pm
revbob wrote:
02 May 2021, 7:07pm
Who's next?
Silent Majority and then, ugh, you.
Im gonna do all throat singers.

But from 1980 or newer so Heston can relate.