A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 1:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 11:26am
revbob wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 5:47pm
I still gotta take on WWK'S list. It would be an easier start if DD wasn't first.
It's like jumping into a cold pool. You just have to take the plunge.
I dont go into cold water much anymore.
This week is going to be a good day for that. My post-workout baths have distinctly shifted to cool water these days.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

No numbers this time.

Duran Duran, “Invisible”
What no camera sound? Camera sounds are to DD and J Giles what mentioning Boston is for the Dropkick Murphys.
This was never supposed to work for me. Unlike most of you I dont think it sounds "modern" at all. Sounds more...80s to me, bad 80s.

Tirzah, “Send Me” I felt the first 3:40 carried on for too long. The last 30 sec was my favorite part but even that was starting to get monotonous. This reminds me of song that might come on the radio and I let it play waiting for the action to kick in and then after 3 minutes its like WTF am I listening to.

Jade Bird, “Open up the Heavens”
My favorite so far hands down. Reminded me a bit of the Breeders at first. Yeah I like this, wouldn't change the station.

Genesis Owusu, “Gold Chains” Just not really my bag. Im not a big fan of the vocal delivery in the middle, he clearly has a good voice as demonstrated in the beginning and end of the song. I basically found parts of the song enjoyable and otber parts not so much.

Cloud Nothings, “The Spirit Of” Ok maybe this is my favorite of the bunch even if the mix isnt the best. Also wouldn't change the station

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 1:53pm
Camera sounds are to DD and J Giles what mentioning Boston is for the Dropkick Murphys.
:lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
You're up tomorrow, gangly drummer boy.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Duran Duran - I like some Duran Duran. This isn't like the Duran Duran I like - very predictable and too poppy - not bad but I'd hoped for more.

Tirzah - This is not stuff I like - the vocals are too gentle, too much of an attempt to sound emotional - if you like it, fine - no real energy for me.

Jade Bird - Better than the previous as the energy level picks up - I think I would prefer this without the backing vocals which soften the effect of the vocal for me.

Genesis Owusu - Decent - he has a good voice but the song is too laid back for me (I'm presenting a theme here, I think) - this is fine for what it is - I can respect it but not really care for it.

Cloud Nothings - Good basics - if they could find a bit more edge to the early vocal that might really help me like this more (as I want to) - the later wailing comes off a bit staged.

I'm sorry as this reads harshly - some of these are styles I don't care for - not necessarily the particular artist.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Softee – Oh No – Modern synth pop with hook after hook and some nicely over the top vocals. Def more likely to move Heston than revbob. Low budget LGBT spin that sounds like a million bucks.

KennyHoopla – how will I rest in peace if I’m buried by a highway? – I clicked on this based on the screen shot alone and was not disappointed. I think this is not unlike the general dance punk genre that was all the rave in the early aughts, but the energy and arrangement are exciting for me.

Sheer Mag – Nobody’s Baby – These guys are putting out some great punk/70’s rock hybrid. Cool female empowerment lyrics that pair well with the lead singer’s non-traditional frontwoman look.

Camp Cope – All female Aussie trio that has a real interesting sound of higher frequency bass lines and repetitive riffs punctuated by some badass vocals. This broad ranging song tackles various forms of sexism from shitty boyfriends to the hypocrisy of supposedly progressive male colleagues in the scene. It’s biting.

Blood Orange – You’re Not Good Enough – Dev Hynes is behind a lot of really great pop/R&B music in the last ten years, so I wanted to highlight his impeccable R&B/funk/pop solo project. Definitely getting Prince vibes, but with a modern spin.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:32am
I've got stuff to work with here. Thanks for leaving out the Bieber/Perry shit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Softee, “Oh No.” The music reminds me a lot of The Book of Love, a band that worked a similar basic synth pop style that had a retro feel, even before there was retro synth. The singer’s not to me liking, tho—too much of that that forced emotion that comes off as fake (way too much contemporary pop suffers from that). A take with a more measured vocal could well win me over.

KennyHoopla, “How Will I Rest in Peace if I’m Buried by a Highway?” Your description of 00s dance pop is spot on. I immediately thought, “Bloc Party!” The Rapture also comes to mind. I dig this a lot for the same reason that I dug those bands. Despite the energy, there seems a kind of melancholy or regret going on with the vocals. But this is seriously excellent and a pox on those who say otherwise.

Sheer Mag, “Nobody’s Baby.” Oh man, if you’d told me this had been recorded in 1977 or 78 I’d believe you. That transition point for those who weren’t into arena rock but weren’t quite ready for punk. I guess I like it for its faux nostalgia, but on its own, the song doesn’t do much for me. It’s like an exercise in evoking a time and place less than a song statement, y’know?

Camp Cope, “The Opener.” Another song that evokes an earlier time period, this time the early 80s as the underground fractured from all the punk, post punk, and no wave influences. I’d buy that this is from one of those compilations of obscure early 80s indie songs. And I’m near obsessive in collecting those things. Plus I’m always a sucker for hectoring vocals. I probably like this more than the KennyHoopla song. I’m hunting down more from them.

Blood Orange, “You’re Not Good Enough.” I really like aesthetics here. So smooth and easy. This could have shown up on the charts in 1985, riding on the tails of Michael Jackson and Madonna. The vocals definitely evoke Prince, too. And, man alive, that band name is exceptional. Some bands names move you almost the whole way to wanting to hear them, and this is one of ‘em.

So, three solid offerings and two that have their virtues but don’t quite work with me. Good job and thanks for your choices!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 2:41pm
Softee, “Oh No.” The music reminds me a lot of The Book of Love, a band that worked a similar basic synth pop style that had a retro feel, even before there was retro synth. The singer’s not to me liking, tho—too much of that that forced emotion that comes off as fake (way too much contemporary pop suffers from that). A take with a more measured vocal could well win me over.

KennyHoopla, “How Will I Rest in Peace if I’m Buried by a Highway?” Your description of 00s dance pop is spot on. I immediately thought, “Bloc Party!” The Rapture also comes to mind. I dig this a lot for the same reason that I dug those bands. Despite the energy, there seems a kind of melancholy or regret going on with the vocals. But this is seriously excellent and a pox on those who say otherwise.

Sheer Mag, “Nobody’s Baby.” Oh man, if you’d told me this had been recorded in 1977 or 78 I’d believe you. That transition point for those who weren’t into arena rock but weren’t quite ready for punk. I guess I like it for its faux nostalgia, but on its own, the song doesn’t do much for me. It’s like an exercise in evoking a time and place less than a song statement, y’know?

Camp Cope, “The Opener.” Another song that evokes an earlier time period, this time the early 80s as the underground fractured from all the punk, post punk, and no wave influences. I’d buy that this is from one of those compilations of obscure early 80s indie songs. And I’m near obsessive in collecting those things. Plus I’m always a sucker for hectoring vocals. I probably like this more than the KennyHoopla song. I’m hunting down more from them.

Blood Orange, “You’re Not Good Enough.” I really like aesthetics here. So smooth and easy. This could have shown up on the charts in 1985, riding on the tails of Michael Jackson and Madonna. The vocals definitely evoke Prince, too. And, man alive, that band name is exceptional. Some bands names move you almost the whole way to wanting to hear them, and this is one of ‘em.

So, three solid offerings and two that have their virtues but don’t quite work with me. Good job and thanks for your choices!
Ahem, I don't like music that eschews modernity. :shifty:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 4:49pm
You've made this point clear but I guess Im not quite sure how the term is defined in your book. When does modernity begin? And what does one need to do with existing instruments to provide that modernity?

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 5:39pm
matedog wrote:
You've made this point clear but I guess Im not quite sure how the term is defined in your book. When does modernity begin? And what does one need to do with existing instruments to provide that modernity?
I think I noted a potential hypocrisy when I've brought it up before. Why is stuff pretending to be from the 70s and 80s okay, but not from the 50s?

Instrumentation and production can be really evocative of a past time and place, but lyrics can as well. My comparison is the first Leon Bridges album to Amy Winehouse. Leon Bridges looks and sounds (at least the first album) as if the last 60 years never happened. Amy Winehouse and particularly her work with Mark Ronson does have a vintage sound, but her lyrics are not something you would have heard back in the day. Same for minor touches like drum machines and what not.

For my picks, the synth pop ones (Softee and Blood Orange) sound like a new take on a vintage sound if that makes sense. Not unlike WWK's Duran Duran single (which I wasn't crazy about but did manage to sound not completely vintage). KennyHoopla is reminiscent of Bloc Party and other early-mid aughts dance-punk as Doc and I discussed. It's 15+ years now, but that sound doesn't feel that distant (I'm showing my age now) or vintage for the sake of being vintage. Like I don't think they conscientiously tried to sound like a throwback to the not too distant past. Camp Cope is definitely traditional instrumentation of rock and really 90s alt rock, but the heavy melodic bass does remind me a bit of PIL. Regardless, the lyrical content seems to be very modern day, particularly the line about "It's another straight cis man who knows more about this than me." General female empowerment lyrics are obviously not new, but some of the terminology and the topics covered seem very specific to now. Sheer Mag is the least defensible. Particularly with that video. I just have a soft spot for catchy guitar rock and I think it's cool that they have a large female singer.

That's the best defense/explanation I can muster and I'm sure it's wrought with inconsistencies.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:27pm
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
I think I noted a potential hypocrisy when I've brought it up before. Why is stuff pretending to be from the 70s and 80s okay, but not from the 50s?
Not that I'm endorsing the argument at all—quite the opposite!—but early punk did a lot to promote the narrative of 50s r n r as some kind of pure state that rock fell from, becoming serious, intellectual, progressive, etc. Emulating the 50s is to leach off that purity. If you're emulating the 60s onward, well, who cares—rock became fatally commercial anyway. It's a silly argument that depends on that fall from grace mythology.

BTW, I should have mentioned that I appreciated the rough theme you brought to your picks.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
No numbers this time.

Duran Duran, “Invisible”
What no camera sound? Camera sounds are to DD and J Giles what mentioning Boston is for the Dropkick Murphys.
This was never supposed to work for me. Unlike most of you I dont think it sounds "modern" at all. Sounds more...80s to me, bad 80s.

Tirzah, “Send Me” I felt the first 3:40 carried on for too long. The last 30 sec was my favorite part but even that was starting to get monotonous. This reminds me of song that might come on the radio and I let it play waiting for the action to kick in and then after 3 minutes its like WTF am I listening to.

My favorite so far hands down. Reminded me a bit of the Breeders at first. Yeah I like this, wouldn't change the station.

Genesis Owusu, “Gold Chains” Just not really my bag. Im not a big fan of the vocal delivery in the middle, he clearly has a good voice as demonstrated in the beginning and end of the song. I basically found parts of the song enjoyable and otber parts not so much.

Cloud Nothings, “The Spirit Of” Ok maybe this is my favorite of the bunch even if the mix isnt the best. Also wouldn't change the station
Gonna second that the Duran song doesn’t sound modern to me. Sounds like something fans of 40 year old music would find modern, which... *waves at board*
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:51pm
revbob wrote:
No numbers this time.

Duran Duran, “Invisible”

Gonna second that the Duran song doesn’t sound modern to me. Sounds like something fans of 40 year old music would find modern, which... *waves at board*
:angry: :disshame:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 6:27pm
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:

Instrumentation and production can be really evocative of a past time and place, but lyrics can as well. My comparison is the first Leon Bridges album to Amy Winehouse. Leon Bridges looks and sounds (at least the first album) as if the last 60 years never happened. Amy Winehouse and particularly her work with Mark Ronson does have a vintage sound, but her lyrics are not something you would have heard back in the day. Same for minor touches like drum machines and what not.

For my picks, the synth pop ones (Softee and Blood Orange) sound like a new take on a vintage sound if that makes sense. Not unlike WWK's Duran Duran single (which I wasn't crazy about but did manage to sound not completely vintage). KennyHoopla is reminiscent of Bloc Party and other early-mid aughts dance-punk as Doc and I discussed. It's 15+ years now, but that sound doesn't feel that distant (I'm showing my age now) or vintage for the sake of being vintage. Like I don't think they conscientiously tried to sound like a throwback to the not too distant past. Camp Cope is definitely traditional instrumentation of rock and really 90s alt rock, but the heavy melodic bass does remind me a bit of PIL. Regardless, the lyrical content seems to be very modern day, particularly the line about "It's another straight cis man who knows more about this than me." General female empowerment lyrics are obviously not new, but some of the terminology and the topics covered seem very specific to now. Sheer Mag is the least defensible. Particularly with that video. I just have a soft spot for catchy guitar rock and I think it's cool that they have a large female singer.

That's the best defense/explanation I can muster and I'm sure it's wrought with inconsistencies.
Soooo again early release day so maybe Im having trouble following. Your first statement about 70s/80s but not 50s being acceptable is confusing to me, I wouldn't classify any of it as modern...

I agree production, instrumentation and lyrics can play a role in terms of how modern a song sounds but can we at least agree that neither retro nor modern is good on its own. Maybe Im biased but drum machines and more recent vocal effects do nothing for me.