The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory » 06 Nov 2017, 1:42pm

Inder wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:41pm
Kory wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 1:39pm
Silent Majority wrote:
05 Nov 2017, 11:43am
Listening to Bowie live is fascinating because the fact he taught himself how to sing listening to records played at wrong speeds really comes through.
Maybe that's my solution.
Becoming David Bowie?
You got it, mister. There is a bit of a gap in the market...
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory » 08 Jan 2018, 5:00pm

The problem with celebrating the man's birthday is that you know what's coming up two days later. It puts a bit of a damper on the situation.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1443
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by dave202 » 08 Jan 2018, 5:07pm

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 7:47pm
Paul Weller for example now has 8 children to pay for and he has said he can't afford to give up making music.
Who the hell does he think he is? Leigh Griffiths?!

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1443
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by dave202 » 08 Jan 2018, 5:10pm

Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 5:00pm
The problem with celebrating the man's birthday is that you know what's coming up two days later. It puts a bit of a damper on the situation.
Yes, he had a period when you didn't know what to expect next. Two day time reinforces that is no longer.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16579
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by JennyB » 08 Jan 2018, 5:30pm

Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 5:00pm
The problem with celebrating the man's birthday is that you know what's coming up two days later. It puts a bit of a damper on the situation.
:cry:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1013
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by WestwayKid » 08 Jan 2018, 5:53pm

I just realized that Bowie and Elvis share a birthday.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13509
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 08 Jan 2018, 6:56pm

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 5:53pm
I just realized that Bowie and Elvis share a birthday.
I find it very strange that Presley was only 12 years older than Bowie.
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter » 08 Jan 2018, 7:52pm

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 6:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 5:53pm
I just realized that Bowie and Elvis share a birthday.
I find it very strange that Presley was only 12 years older than Bowie.
Yeah. It’s another pop culture generation entirely, but those two were closer in age than you and I are.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13509
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 08 Jan 2018, 8:12pm

Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 7:52pm
Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 6:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 5:53pm
I just realized that Bowie and Elvis share a birthday.
I find it very strange that Presley was only 12 years older than Bowie.
Yeah. It’s another pop culture generation entirely, but those two were closer in age than you and I are.
I can rest assured that I've made as good a use out of any talents I have as Bowie had by my age. And Elvis at your age... well, never mind.
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75840
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Jan 2018, 8:15pm

Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 7:52pm
Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 6:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 5:53pm
I just realized that Bowie and Elvis share a birthday.
I find it very strange that Presley was only 12 years older than Bowie.
Yeah. It’s another pop culture generation entirely, but those two were closer in age than you and I are.
Your use of the word generation is quite insightful and appropriate, I think, in that it illustrates the importance of environment for shaping outlook, not something as a rigid as birth year. Going all Strauss and Howe, Elvis is Silent, Bowie is a Boomer (yet somehow he seems more X to me than Boomer? Maybe I'm being a generational snob and thinking he's too cool to be a Boomer). Twelve years would suggest commonality, but the mood of the world around them at key points in their upbringing changed things immensely. Whereas you and I are, what, nine years apart, but our location with regards to the greater world has generated more commonalities (I think) than differences.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter » 08 Jan 2018, 9:18pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 8:15pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 7:52pm
Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 6:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 5:53pm
I just realized that Bowie and Elvis share a birthday.
I find it very strange that Presley was only 12 years older than Bowie.
Yeah. It’s another pop culture generation entirely, but those two were closer in age than you and I are.
Your use of the word generation is quite insightful and appropriate, I think, in that it illustrates the importance of environment for shaping outlook, not something as a rigid as birth year. Going all Strauss and Howe, Elvis is Silent, Bowie is a Boomer (yet somehow he seems more X to me than Boomer? Maybe I'm being a generational snob and thinking he's too cool to be a Boomer). Twelve years would suggest commonality, but the mood of the world around them at key points in their upbringing changed things immensely. Whereas you and I are, what, nine years apart, but our location with regards to the greater world has generated more commonalities (I think) than differences.
Totally. And I think someone once pointed out that Bowie was a Boomer, but he was one of the first rock stars to appeal primarily to the younger siblings of the Boomer kids.

And Maj, Elvis was...barely...alive when he was my age, thank you very much.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75840
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Jan 2018, 9:59pm

Along the same lines as the initial wave of punks, New York and UK, all nominally being Boomers. The Ramones and Pistols and Joy Division are such Xer archetypes that it's weird to think they were all born in the 50s. Which, to me, makes them all the more significant, pointing the way to a different outlook for kids born in the next 15+ years.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 621
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by coffeepotman » 09 Jan 2018, 2:44pm

I like to sing this to myself and change the lyrics to 60's instead of 50's...

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75840
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Jan 2018, 3:47pm

Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory » 31 Jan 2018, 2:02pm

It's been a while since I last heard Bowie reduced to Endless Undulating Triads.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marky Dread and 4 guests