The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

General music discussion.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32943
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Heston »

Not a song but a concert, recently uploaded by someone in better sound and picture quality than I've seen before. This is typical early XTC in that it can shift from the unlistenable to the inspired in a short space of time. Neon Shuffle is a fucking treat, as is Statue of Liberty.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 45633
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 7:48pm
Not a song but a concert, recently uploaded by someone in better sound and picture quality than I've seen before. This is typical early XTC in that it can shift from the unlistenable to the inspired in a short space of time. Neon Shuffle is a fucking treat, as is Statue of Liberty.

Yep great stuff.
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32943
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 45633
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 5:19am
Today's Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... obg4munT18
Nice article cheers mate.

Great song and those pounding drums are incredible.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 20952
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 5:19am
Today's Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... obg4munT18
Cheers Hes, I always thought it was about Nigel Lawson :huh:

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2229
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Low Down Low »

Excellent read. Great song and great social history there too.

JohnS
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 718
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 6:18pm

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by JohnS »

Thanks for the Guardian article Heston, very interesting - you've got to love a band who gone on TOTP to plug their single, for it to then go down the charts afterwards!

I can't post the actual link for some reason, but burning shed.com is offering a free download of an unreleased Andy Partridge track 'Cavegirl'
Catchy and clever, as you'd expect from AP

https://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2020/ ... -download/
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32943
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 9:47am
Thanks for the Guardian article Heston, very interesting - you've got to love a band who gone on TOTP to plug their single, for it to then go down the charts afterwards!

I can't post the actual link for some reason, but burning shed.com is offering a free download of an unreleased Andy Partridge track 'Cavegirl'
Catchy and clever, as you'd expect from AP

https://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2020/ ... -download/
I was trying to grab that earlier this week but had trouble downloading, will give this link a go later. Cheers John.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 45633
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 10:06am
JohnS wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 9:47am
Thanks for the Guardian article Heston, very interesting - you've got to love a band who gone on TOTP to plug their single, for it to then go down the charts afterwards!

I can't post the actual link for some reason, but burning shed.com is offering a free download of an unreleased Andy Partridge track 'Cavegirl'
Catchy and clever, as you'd expect from AP

https://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2020/ ... -download/
I was trying to grab that earlier this week but had trouble downloading, will give this link a go later. Cheers John.
Same here the site was having some problems with the downloads.
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12088
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Kory »

How funny, I was just about to look for this thread—I wound up getting the Steven Wilson remasters, and it's opened up a whole new world for me since I've never been familiar with anything beyond Mummer. What a crazy band.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 45633
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:58pm
How funny, I was just about to look for this thread—I wound up getting the Steven Wilson remasters, and it's opened up a whole new world for me since I've never been familiar with anything beyond Mummer. What a crazy band.
I've got the Steven Wilson remasters with the blurays and instrumentals etc. I'm looking forward to the next remaster. The last one was The Dukes of Stratosphear set. The remasters are not as loud as the Virgin CDs.

I think they had "The Big Express" next on the list but they can't locate all the outtakes/demo master reels. Also they have to pay for someone to locate them in the archive.
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12088
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:09pm
Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:58pm
How funny, I was just about to look for this thread—I wound up getting the Steven Wilson remasters, and it's opened up a whole new world for me since I've never been familiar with anything beyond Mummer. What a crazy band.
I've got the Steven Wilson remasters with the blurays and instrumentals etc. I'm looking forward to the next remaster. The last one was The Dukes of Stratosphear set. The remasters are not as loud as the Virgin CDs.

I think they had "The Big Express" next on the list but they can't locate all the outtakes/demo master reels. Also they have to pay for someone to locate them in the archive.
Sad that English Settlement probably won't be among them, I read that they can't find multitracks to work from. Looking forward to Big Express though, I've never even heard it. I'll probably get the last Ape House master of it in the meantime.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53169
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:09pm
Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:58pm
How funny, I was just about to look for this thread—I wound up getting the Steven Wilson remasters, and it's opened up a whole new world for me since I've never been familiar with anything beyond Mummer. What a crazy band.
I've got the Steven Wilson remasters with the blurays and instrumentals etc. I'm looking forward to the next remaster. The last one was The Dukes of Stratosphear set. The remasters are not as loud as the Virgin CDs.

I think they had "The Big Express" next on the list but they can't locate all the outtakes/demo master reels. Also they have to pay for someone to locate them in the archive.
Sad that English Settlement probably won't be among them, I read that they can't find multitracks to work from. Looking forward to Big Express though, I've never even heard it. I'll probably get the last Ape House master of it in the meantime.
Big Express is an album that is probably underrated despite being the least likely XTC album for me to reach for (well, probably tied with Go2. Because XTC is good enough that the weaker stuff is still amazingly strong.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12088
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:09pm
Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:58pm
How funny, I was just about to look for this thread—I wound up getting the Steven Wilson remasters, and it's opened up a whole new world for me since I've never been familiar with anything beyond Mummer. What a crazy band.
I've got the Steven Wilson remasters with the blurays and instrumentals etc. I'm looking forward to the next remaster. The last one was The Dukes of Stratosphear set. The remasters are not as loud as the Virgin CDs.

I think they had "The Big Express" next on the list but they can't locate all the outtakes/demo master reels. Also they have to pay for someone to locate them in the archive.
Sad that English Settlement probably won't be among them, I read that they can't find multitracks to work from. Looking forward to Big Express though, I've never even heard it. I'll probably get the last Ape House master of it in the meantime.
Big Express is an album that is probably underrated despite being the least likely XTC album for me to reach for (well, probably tied with Go2. Because XTC is good enough that the weaker stuff is still amazingly strong.
I don't know why it took me so long to explore the later stuff. I just heard Lemons and Oranges for maybe the second time ever yesterday.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 45633
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The XTC Song You're Thinking About Right Now Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 3:11pm
Wolter wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:42pm
Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:09pm
Kory wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:58pm
How funny, I was just about to look for this thread—I wound up getting the Steven Wilson remasters, and it's opened up a whole new world for me since I've never been familiar with anything beyond Mummer. What a crazy band.
I've got the Steven Wilson remasters with the blurays and instrumentals etc. I'm looking forward to the next remaster. The last one was The Dukes of Stratosphear set. The remasters are not as loud as the Virgin CDs.

I think they had "The Big Express" next on the list but they can't locate all the outtakes/demo master reels. Also they have to pay for someone to locate them in the archive.
Sad that English Settlement probably won't be among them, I read that they can't find multitracks to work from. Looking forward to Big Express though, I've never even heard it. I'll probably get the last Ape House master of it in the meantime.
Big Express is an album that is probably underrated despite being the least likely XTC album for me to reach for (well, probably tied with Go2. Because XTC is good enough that the weaker stuff is still amazingly strong.
I don't know why it took me so long to explore the later stuff. I just heard Lemons and Oranges for maybe the second time ever yesterday.
Oranges and Lemons is an incredible record.

English Settlement is great also. All their albums are really excellent and repay you by repeated listens. The more I listen the more I hear and fall in love with. One of the few band's where their back catalogue covers all the sounds I love most.
Image

Post Reply