Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Counterpoint: the earth's yellow sun does not count as a Performance Enhancing Drug.
A point of contention: Kal-El's physiology is attuned to a red sun; that's what's natural to him. So a yellow sun's effects are unnatural, they are artificial. Just because he's not injecting doesn't mean he ain't doping.
A polite disagreement: You are stretching the definition of PED to the breaking point. While it may be unusual for a Kryptonian to be exposed to the effects of a yellow sun, it is not unnatural. Besides, Kal-El's adopted home since infancy is the earth, and therefore is the only real home* he knows. The yellow sun is "normal" for him. He has not "chosen" to use it to his advantage, any more than Michael Jordan "chose" to have a superior vertical leap. Barrold Bonds was not raised from near birth on the cream and the clear, and chose to take advantage of a loophole in the rules - like Lex Luthor.

*Unless you're saying that adopted children have no real home. And that would be monstrous.
A Gore-like sigh: Anything other than the red sun's effects on a Kryptonian's physiology is unnatural. Kryptonian evolution is based on a red sun environment. Kal-El is operating in an unnatural environment to a Kryptonian, and that unnatural environment gives him an advantage over those whose physiology is not augmented in the natural environment of a yellow sun. Intent has nothing to do with it, only natural physiology being artificially augmented.

And adopted children are carriers of AIDS and scurvy and should be ground into top soil for our farms.
A burying of my head in my hands: "'roided up," by it's very nature, implies intent.

Also, does this look like the behavior of a "Boy Scout?":

The correct answer: Yes. An AWESOME Boy Scout.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:A burying of my head in my hands: "'roided up," by it's very nature, implies intent.
A rolling of the eyes: Roided up is a state of existence—you either are or are not; it is wholly divorced from intent. To yellow sun physiologies, it almost always necessitates intent (unless you're Gary Sheffield), but not to a red sun physiology.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:A burying of my head in my hands: "'roided up," by it's very nature, implies intent.
A rolling of the eyes: Roided up is a state of existence—you either are or are not; it is wholly divorced from intent. To yellow sun physiologies, it almost always necessitates intent (unless you're Gary Sheffield), but not to a red sun physiology.
A thbbt: Thbbt.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A thbbt: Thbbt.
A nyah: Nyah.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

An agreement: As usual, I'm with the poet on this one.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:An agreement: As usual, I'm with the poet on this one.

A question: So you think that the red-yellow sun issue is irrelevant?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

A clarification: I never said it was irrelevant. I just questioned your use of steroids as an analogue to the yellow sun.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

An affirmation: yes. Putting aside the issue of intent (which wolterpoet is correct about), there aren't even any rules on the books regarding what kind of sun rays Supes can soak up! Without the JLA or something clearly defining what sources of superpowers are allowable, as well as outlining the punishments for breaking those rules - Supes gets a free pass.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

An affirmation: yes. Putting aside the issue of intent (which wolterpoet is correct about), there aren't even any rules on the books regarding what kind of sun rays Supes can soak up! Without the JLA or something clearly defining what sources of superpowers are allowable, as well as outlining the punishments for breaking those rules - Supes gets a free pass.
Great job, Wesley Dodds!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:An affirmation: yes. Putting aside the issue of intent (which wolterpoet is correct about)
Explain further. If I've been unknowingly fed steroids, it doesn't make me any less juiced up. Whether Kal-El wants to the yellow sun to have that effect on him, it doesn't change that effect.
there aren't even any rules on the books regarding what kind of sun rays Supes can soak up! Without the JLA or something clearly defining what sources of superpowers are allowable, as well as outlining the punishments for breaking those rules - Supes gets a free pass.
I'm not following this at all. I'm not talking about the results being criminal or not.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:An affirmation: yes. Putting aside the issue of intent (which wolterpoet is correct about)
Explain further. If I've been unknowingly fed steroids, it doesn't make me any less juiced up. Whether Kal-El wants to the yellow sun to have that effect on him, it doesn't change that effect.
there aren't even any rules on the books regarding what kind of sun rays Supes can soak up! Without the JLA or something clearly defining what sources of superpowers are allowable, as well as outlining the punishments for breaking those rules - Supes gets a free pass.
I'm not following this at all. I'm not talking about the results being criminal or not.
A conclusion: then you should avoid loaded terms like "'roided up."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A mistake: That people would take me so literally. I meant roided up as akin to any PED. Just because he can't control the effect doesn't lessen solar radiation's PED-like effect on him.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A mistake: That people would take me so literally. I meant roided up as akin to any PED. Just because he can't control the effect doesn't lessen solar radiation's PED-like effect on him.
An ad hominem attack: Just admit it, you hate our freedom.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
An ad hominem attack: Just admit it, you hate our freedom.
An obvious answer: Of course I do—that's why Canada didn't send troops to Iraq. But that doesn't change my position otherwise.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Confession, Realization, Conclusion, Question, Disgust: I seem to be growing patches of wiry shoulder hair now. It never used to grow there before. This disturbs me greatly because I'm about to turn 30. Am I going to grow lots more of this shit on my shoulders as I age? Fucking hell. :yuck: