Clash Collaborations

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Re: Clash Collaborations

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2021, 3:51pm
10 years later...here it is.

https://mega.nz/file/NtwkTKLS#sCHisPahb ... 2Eg1lX6lQc
Hi Marky, I remember also an other collaboration between Topper Headon an the Bush Tetras. Anyway you did an incredible excellent work !!

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 6:45am
Marky Dread wrote:

Hi Marky, I remember also an other collaboration between Topper Headon an the Bush Tetras. Anyway you did an incredible excellent work !!
I think Topper played live with them and produced the B-side "You Can't Be Funky".

The object of the comp was to include tracks that Clash members played on whilst still in The Clash. To my knowledge Topper doesn't play on the track but is listed as producer only.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 9:56am
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think Topper played live with them and produced the B-side "You Can't Be Funky".

The object of the comp was to include tracks that Clash members played on whilst still in The Clash. To my knowledge Topper doesn't play on the track but is listed as producer only.
I would Like to Know why is not included "I need your love" (as you Know there is Mick voice) and wich is Topper work in Ian Hunter album. In wich tracks Topper plays drums?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

APACHES67 wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 8:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I would Like to Know why is not included "I need your love" (as you Know there is Mick voice) and wich is Topper work in Ian Hunter album. In wich tracks Topper plays drums?
I couldn't find out just how many tracks Mick etc played on for Ian's album. So I chose my favourites from the album that he (they) do feature on. Though I expect a few more tracks feature Mick I only wanted to highlight some not all tracks. I could've included loads more from Pearl Harbour's album also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 8:42pm
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I couldn't find out just how many tracks Mick etc played on for Ian's album. So I chose my favourites from the album that he (they) do feature on. Though I expect a few more tracks feature Mick I only wanted to highlight some not all tracks. I could've included loads more from Pearl Harbour's album also.
Thanks For Your explaination Marky. My favourite Song from that album is "i need Your love" Great Song and it's nice to hear Mick voice in that...i thought it was among Your favourite too Marky

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

APACHES67 wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 12:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:

Thanks For Your explaination Marky. My favourite Song from that album is "i need Your love" Great Song and it's nice to hear Mick voice in that...i thought it was among Your favourite too Marky
When I bought the album (vinyl) my favourite track was "Gun Control" and I was surprised that track didn't have Clash members on it as it seemed the most Clash like song on the album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 1:21pm
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

When I bought the album (vinyl) my favourite track was "Gun Control" and I was surprised that track didn't have Clash members on it as it seemed the most Clash like song on the album.
Hello,

Short Back and Sides has always been my favorite Ian Hunter album - agreed on Gun Control being the most Clash-like (Theatre of the Absurd is my 2nd favorite - probably the most Sandinista-like song). Ian's later stuff is still pretty good - he hasn't mellowed but musically he's softened a bit.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 4:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 1:21pm
APACHES67 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
APACHES67 wrote:

Hello,

Short Back and Sides has always been my favorite Ian Hunter album - agreed on Gun Control being the most Clash-like (Theatre of the Absurd is my 2nd favorite - probably the most Sandinista-like song). Ian's later stuff is still pretty good - he hasn't mellowed but musically he's softened a bit.
Yes I agree with this mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Maxym
Corner Soul

Post by Maxym »

Was Joe Strummer actually involved in the Sex Machine cover or only House of the Ju-Ju Queen?

+ Would have liked to download but link is offline.
Used to be on Clash forums in early 2000s (different nickname), then they closed and/or I lost track (I don't remember exactly).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Maxym wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 11:34am
Was Joe Strummer actually involved in the Sex Machine cover or only House of the Ju-Ju Queen?

+ Would have liked to download but link is offline.
Just juju queen, iirc. Theres a demo version with Joe singing it as well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Maxym
Corner Soul

Post by Maxym »

Flex wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 11:46am
Thank. Yes, Ju-Ju Queen confirmed and there is indeed a Joe Strummer demo.
But I'm asking about Sex Machine because it's in the tracklist in the first post (though I guess it was included just to keep it together with Ju-Ju Queen.
Another possibility is Strummer "produced" the whole single?
Used to be on Clash forums in early 2000s (different nickname), then they closed and/or I lost track (I don't remember exactly).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Maxym wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 11:49am
Flex wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 11:46am
But I'm asking about Sex Machine because it's in the tracklist in the first post (though I guess it was included just to keep it together with Ju-Ju Queen.
Joe, Mick and Paul play on both tracks with Joe producing both tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Funnily enough, I interviewed Janie Jones herself about this very subject, when I was trying to get my initial book idea off the ground. She told me that Joe not only produced, he paid for the whole thing, and chose the studio, as well as offering to write a song for her -- that became Ju-Ju Queen.

They ended up doing Sex Machine, because they needed a B-side, of course, and they were running out of time, so Joe decided to go with the James Brown song to solve that problem. The single was credited as "House Of The Lash" to avoid contract issues with CBS.

There's also a clipping from back in the day, commemorating her release from prison, and it mentions the possibility of the band collaborating on an original song, to be titled Vice Is Nice, but nothing came of it. Janie couldn't quite recall what happened to that, but she suspected they got too busy to make good on that idea.

Here's how I summarized this particular interlude in my own track, Blackout For Janie Jones, which you can enjoy as follows:

http://chairmanralph.com/@/SpokenWordT ... sample.mp3

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 9:41pm

Funnily enough, I interviewed Janie Jones herself about this very subject, when I was trying to get my initial book idea off the ground. She told me that Joe not only produced, he paid for the whole thing, and chose the studio, as well as offering to write a song for her -- that became Ju-Ju Queen.

They ended up doing Sex Machine, because they needed a B-side, of course, and they were running out of time, so Joe decided to go with the James Brown song to solve that problem. The single was credited as "House Of The Lash" to avoid contract issues with CBS.

There's also a clipping from back in the day, commemorating her release from prison, and it mentions the possibility of the band collaborating on an original song, to be titled Vice Is Nice, but nothing came of it. Janie couldn't quite recall what happened to that, but she suspected they got too busy to make good on that idea.

Here's how I summarized this particular interlude in my own track, Blackout For Janie Jones, which you can enjoy as follows:

http://chairmanralph.com/@/SpokenWordT ... sample.mp3
Janie Jones & The Lash.

This cd has some excellent info in the booklet.
Attachments
R-2436653-1473430527-5969.jpg
R-2436653-1473430527-5969.jpg (140.85 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
R-2436653-1473430551-9947.jpg
R-2436653-1473430551-9947.jpg (118.07 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.