Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 5:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 5:28pm
tepista wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 5:10pm
That poor dog bet his life savings on a dumb hunch bet.
But his name was "Who's a Good Boy", how could he lose?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

File this under "Cats Don't Make No Sense": During the summer months, Licorice doesn't exactly embrace food like she does any other time, so we've begun our "her leaving and Mimi begging her to come back to her bowl and eat your food dance routine." Since I put extra water in her food, her bowl gets messy and there's wet food kind of all over the bowl. When she doesn't eat, I try to scrape the food into a small pile in the middle of the bowl so she can see there's still more left. I put the bowl back down on the floor. She sniffs it and walks away. We do this a few times. So, wanting to clean up the breakfast dishes, I take what's left in her food bowl and put it in a clean bowl. She eyes this activity with curiosity and meows. I put the bowl down. She scarfs it down. I don't know if she thought this was new food or if she just didn't like her messy bowl or what. *sigh*

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 8:42am
File this under "Cats Don't Make No Sense": During the summer months, Licorice doesn't exactly embrace food like she does any other time, so we've begun our "her leaving and Mimi begging her to come back to her bowl and eat your food dance routine." Since I put extra water in her food, her bowl gets messy and there's wet food kind of all over the bowl. When she doesn't eat, I try to scrape the food into a small pile in the middle of the bowl so she can see there's still more left. I put the bowl back down on the floor. She sniffs it and walks away. We do this a few times. So, wanting to clean up the breakfast dishes, I take what's left in her food bowl and put it in a clean bowl. She eyes this activity with curiosity and meows. I put the bowl down. She scarfs it down. I don't know if she thought this was new food or if she just didn't like her messy bowl or what. *sigh*
So is it maybe a case of requiring a completely clean bowl each time? When you first put the food in, is that a clean bowl? Also, what's the bowl made of? I've heard of cats being finicky over plastic or metal.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 8:58am
Mimi wrote:
So is it maybe a case of requiring a completely clean bowl each time? When you first put the food in, is that a clean bowl? Also, what's the bowl made of? I've heard of cats being finicky over plastic or metal.
I don't know. She's not like this except during the summer. Initially the food in the bowl is a blob right in the middle and when she starts eating it spreads all over the bowl. The bowl is ceramic with low sides because I figured out she has whisker sensitivity. I even had to change the water bowl to a low-sided bowl so she would drink out of it without her whiskers getting tickled.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 9:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I don't know. She's not like this except during the summer. Initially the food in the bowl is a blob right in the middle and when she starts eating it spreads all over the bowl. The bowl is ceramic with low sides because I figured out she has whisker sensitivity. I even had to change the water bowl to a low-sided bowl so she would drink out of it without her whiskers getting tickled.
Maybe summer heat and humidity is altering the texture/smell of the food? You might experiment with other types of bowls. We use metal because we read plastic can give cats blackheads (figure that out!). The other option is that it's just about putting you thru your paces, so when she walks away, pull up the bowl and hide it for a few seconds and then put it down again as if it were new.

Finicky cats are the worst. You know that this shit is all free, right? You don't have to hunt to survive? Being that picky is a seriously dick move.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 9:41am
Mimi wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 9:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Maybe summer heat and humidity is altering the texture/smell of the food? You might experiment with other types of bowls. We use metal because we read plastic can give cats blackheads (figure that out!). The other option is that it's just about putting you thru your paces, so when she walks away, pull up the bowl and hide it for a few seconds and then put it down again as if it were new.

Finicky cats are the worst. You know that this shit is all free, right? You don't have to hunt to survive? Being that picky is a seriously dick move.
:lol: She has that game figured out.
I kind of believe this has everything to do with the heat and very possibly it changes the smell of the food. Oh, according to the vet I just broke up with, cats aren't picky. She said so. :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 9:51am
Oh, according to the vet I just broke up with, cats aren't picky. She said so. :rolleyes:
So, she's admitting she's never met a cat before. Christ, one of the things that stand out for Luke is that he will eat anything. He's stolen peanuts, cauliflower, and granola before. He's more than food motivated; he's obsessive. (Weirdly, he doesn't push anyone out of their bowls; he patiently waits until they're done to inspect.)

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 10:38am
Mimi wrote:
Oh, according to the vet I just broke up with, cats aren't picky. She said so. :rolleyes:
So, she's admitting she's never met a cat before. Christ, one of the things that stand out for Luke is that he will eat anything. He's stolen peanuts, cauliflower, and granola before. He's more than food motivated; he's obsessive. (Weirdly, he doesn't push anyone out of their bowls; he patiently waits until they're done to inspect.)
No, what's sad is she owns several cats. (This is the owner of the vet's office and not the cat's regular doc in the same building)

I see all the cats on instagram that'll eat anything (strawberries, broccoli, watermelon, whatever) and I get jealous. Butters will eat just about anything but he draws the line at fruits and vegetables.

Peanuts, though? Did Luke actually eat it?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 10:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
No, what's sad is she owns several cats. (This is the owner of the vet's office and not the cat's regular doc in the same building)

I see all the cats on instagram that'll eat anything (strawberries, broccoli, watermelon, whatever) and I get jealous. Butters will eat just about anything but he draws the line at fruits and vegetables.

One of our cats likes to attempt to eat peanuts now and then. He seems to struggle to chew them, however, so he just licks at them and then leaves them mostly intact on the floor.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 10:46am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

One of our cats likes to attempt to eat peanuts now and then. He seems to struggle to chew them, however, so he just licks at them and then leaves them mostly intact on the floor.
Salt, maybe?

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

My little goblins (the ones that partake of the meatcans anyway) always squish half of the food into the corners of the bowl, and then act like there's NO WAY IN HELL of possibly recovering it, leaving me no choice but to scrape it back into the middle of the bowl, which they then treat (most of the time anyway) like a whole new meal...
You gotta give the people something good to read...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

He'll crack open the shell and nibble a bit at the peanut. As WWK suggested, he probably just can't chew them properly and there isn't quite enough appeal to work at it.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Joe Public wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 11:14am
My little goblins (the ones that partake of the meatcans anyway) always squish half of the food into the corners of the bowl, and then act like there's NO WAY IN HELL of possibly recovering it, leaving me no choice but to scrape it back into the middle of the bowl, which they then treat (most of the time anyway) like a whole new meal...
:lol: Licorice, most of the time.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
That's part of the "cat games", our 3 pull similar stunts with both wet & dry food regularly. Sometimes I have to put some of the wet on the tip of my finger in order to get them to taste it, then the little light comes on inside their pea brains and they go "food" and start devouring it. Go figure.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Cat parents: Masochists or saints?