A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by BitterTom »

Ok so let's give this a go again, we take it in turns to post 3 tracks of our choice every week and the rest of us review. Reviews can be short/long/contain a mark out of 10, whatever you fancy and no rules on choosing all different artists for your 3, just pick 3 tracks ideally we all may not be familiar with and we'll have a good chat about them.

This is the list from the Bunch of Fives although gkbill and myself have swapped as he was ready with his 3, anyone not mentioned and would like to be involved let me know and you'll be added to the list, likewise if you're on the list and you don't want to be involved, no worries let me know.

gkbill
Tom
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
Olaf
Medulla
Kimmelweck
Last edited by BitterTom on 09 Feb 2022, 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

Hooray!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Into it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Fuck yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Who's turn is it this week?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This is great! I will try to stick to new bands/artists but may occasionally slip to something older that hasn't received much exposure.

Los Bitchos - The Link is About to Die. A new instrumental group which is kind of psychedelia but western soundtrack-ish and surf-ish

Wolfmen - Urban Voodoo. Really good straight-ahead guitar rock

Guardian Singles - Tea Lights Exploding. Guitar rock but kind of new-wave-ish. They have a bunch of influences I can't really nail down but they sometimes get pretty arty.

Thanks, Tom, for resurrecting this worthwhile endeavor (that was pretty formal sounding). I hope these are new to people.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

The Link is About to Die - Los Bitchos. Good start, very cool and a nice chord progression. Cowbell heard, always a good sign. Had this on during the dpg walk, felt instantly cooler. Great start and already added one to the playlist. 9/10

Urban Voodoo - Wolfmen. Opening is good but goes downhill for me. Dislike the vocals, the verse and chorus could be from 2 separate songs, felt all over the place, sometimes a bit of disorder is good, not here. 4/10.

Tea Lights Exploding - Guardian Singles. Really like the sound here, love a few unconventional chords put to good use and they've done it really well here, interesting track. Slowed down ending underused, works well here aside from the Dr Who noise right at the end. You know what, it's going on the playlist. 8/10

Solid start! Cheers for these gkbill!
Last edited by BitterTom on 09 Feb 2022, 4:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Nice.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

BitterTom wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 12:48pm
Ok so let's give this a go again, we take it in turns to post 3 tracks of our choice every week and the rest of us review. Reviews can be short/long/contain a mark out of 10, whatever you fancy and no rules on choosing all different artists for your 3, just pick 3 tracks ideally we all may not be familiar with and we'll have a good chat about them.
Tom, I didn’t really participate in the Fives thread as I kinda signed up after it was well under way. I skimmed a lot of good music from it though. I’d like to participate in this thread if you want to add me to the list. Thanks.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Los Bitchos – I like this a lot and will definitely listen to it again. 8.5/10

Wolfmen – Do I hear a bit of Rancid to their sound, at least vocals-wise? Not bad, but I probably won’t be adding it to any playlists. 5/10

Guardian Singles – Decent tune, but kinda middle of the pack for me. I like the guitars. Would probably give this another spin and it might grow on me. 6/10
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 5:52pm
BitterTom wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 12:48pm
Tom, I didn’t really participate in the Fives thread as I kinda signed up after it was well under way. I skimmed a lot of good music from it though. I’d like to participate in this thread if you want to add me to the list. Thanks.
Yeah, course mate, added.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Los Bitches – I kept waiting for someone to start singing despite reading that it was an instrumental. I liked the reverb on the guitar, gave it a warm, retro feel. It’s not for me, however. A little too “incidental movie music” for me: 5/10.

Wolfmen – The lead singer sounds a bit like a wolfman. I think his voice is off putting. Some solid energy, but it doesn’t really stand out to me: 6/10.

Guardian Singles – The winner of the bunch for me. It sounds like it could have come out of the mid-80’s (which isn’t a bad thing). Could use a bit more guitar: 7/10.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 1:41pm
Hello,

Los Bitchos - The Link is About to Die. A new instrumental group which is kind of psychedelia but western soundtrack-ish and surf-ish

Wolfmen - Urban Voodoo. Really good straight-ahead guitar rock

Guardian Singles - Tea Lights Exploding. Guitar rock but kind of new-wave-ish. They have a bunch of influences I can't really nail down but they sometimes get pretty arty.

Thanks, Tom, for resurrecting this worthwhile endeavor (that was pretty formal sounding). I hope these are new to people.
Glad to have this pack. Three songs should be easier to keep up.
Los Bitchos -Real cool instrumental. Reminds me of stuff sampled on Paul's Boutique. Generally not too into these types of instrumentals on their own, but this is a lot of fun. 7.5/10.
Wolfmen - Love the guitar riff and drums to kick it off. The vocals are a turn off for me though. It reminds me a bit of Lars Frederiksen and I really don't care for his voice. Love an unexpected slide guitar solo so instrumentally I really dig this, I just wish the vocal was stronger. 6/10.
Guardian Singles - Love me some peppy lo-fi guitar rock. A bit amateurish, but the peppiness makes up for it. Solid stuff, I like it. 7/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

For the new thread I was going to try three word reviews but that's just dumb (maybe it would work for a few songs but no doubt end up gimmicky.) Then I thought I'd review the songs in order of preference (favourite first etc) but I can't really split Wolfmen and Guardian Singles so thats out.

So, you get what you get

Los Bitchos did not sound like I expected at all. I thought I'd be getting surf rock but it's such a mish-mash yet still entertaining. Not sure how much I could take without going onto auto-pilot and somewhat tuning it out though.

Both Wolfmen and Guardian Singles have enough going for them to rise above the average. For Wolfmen, I really like that little break at about 2:14 --> 2:21. 7 seconds of weirdness that stopped me in my tracks and made me pay closer attention while I was "multitasking." For Guardian Singles I definitely get a mid 90s feel and can imagine it being played on Gary Crowley's radio show where I found so much stuff I like and still listen to. I love the slowed pace at the end (and the Dr Who effects :) )

FWIW, I'd not heard of any of these so thanks
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 8:36pm
For the new thread I was going to try three word reviews but that's just dumb (maybe it would work for a few songs but no doubt end up gimmicky.)
Challenge accepted, you sombitch! (I reserve the right to make up words to evade the self-imposed rule.)

Los Bitchos, “The Link is About to Die.” Awesome. Groovtastic. Cinematic.

Wolfmen, “Urban Voodoo.” Sizzling. Funpunk. Spacey.

Guardian Singles, “Tea Lights Exploding.” Direct. 1981. Nervous.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft