Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The KISS thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 9:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 6:09am
Kids, if you thought getting an STD would protect you from covid, think again.
https://calgaryherald.com/entertainment ... r-covid-19
Was he swapping spit with Paul again? :mrgreen:
There may have been common fluids somewhere in the chain, yes, tho whose and of what legality is unknown.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Weirdly, Simmons was not antivax or anti mask apparently.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:16am
Weirdly, Simmons was not antivax or anti mask apparently.
Right? I wasn't prepared to agree with Gene Simmons today.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's like finding out Axl Rose was ardently anti-Trump. It's such a "huh!" moment that makes you feel a little bad about prejudging them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:48pm
It's like finding out Axl Rose was ardently anti-Trump. It's such a "huh!" moment that makes you feel a little bad about prejudging them.
I prefer to think Gene is an artisanal asshole, and scoffs at these trend-following amateurs.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I prefer to think Gene is an artisanal asshole, and scoffs at these trend-following amateurs.
Yup, that's definitely our eumaas … :shifty:

With Simmons, you go with what Deep Throat said: follow the money. And a pandemic fucks with the KISS revenue machine. The sooner the virus is controlled (or as close as it'll ever be controlled), the sooner he can get back to lightening wallets.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 1:05pm
Wolter wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yup, that's definitely our eumaas … :shifty:

With Simmons, you go with what Deep Throat said: follow the money. And a pandemic fucks with the KISS revenue machine. The sooner the virus is controlled (or as close as it'll ever be controlled), the sooner he can get back to lightening wallets.
Pretty much. He's savvy enough to know there's no long term money in anti-mask/anti-vax for him.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

KISS
KISS
kiSS

Pure primal rock und roll

This is how I coose to remembr them

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 10:25pm
KISS
KISS
kiSS

Pure primal rock und roll

This is how I coose to remembr them

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Digging deeper into their fruitful 80s period:

I missed one shot in the beginning of the video and was so damn confused. Basically the chick decides to burn Paul's car, but then there are shots of her in a towel dancing in a mirror. Rewatched and figured out she's mad at Paul. Probably for the VD.

Anyway, the song is okay for the standards of monster ballads of the day. Some interesting key changes between the minor key verse, major key chorus. There are better ones out there, but worse too. The fashion isn't too ridiculous compared to their other videos at the time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 5:48pm

I missed one shot in the beginning of the video and was so damn confused. Basically the chick decides to burn Paul's car, but then there are shots of her in a towel dancing in a mirror. Rewatched and figured out she's mad at Paul. Probably for the VD.
I read this paragraph to the Boss; she chortled.
Anyway, the song is okay for the standards of monster ballads of the day. Some interesting key changes between the minor key verse, major key chorus. There are better ones out there, but worse too. The fashion isn't too ridiculous compared to their other videos at the time.
I'm not sure I can think of a single metal ballad that I don't loathe. Just wretched, stinky cheese by form.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 5:56pm
matedog wrote:

I'm not sure I can think of a single metal ballad that I don't loathe. Just wretched, stinky cheese by form.
I'm the board Warrant apologist, so I have a remarkable acceptance of this style.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 6:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm the board Warrant apologist, so I have a remarkable acceptance of this style.
That's one fuck of a blind spot.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 6:34pm
matedog wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 6:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

That's one fuck of a blind spot.
I want it known that while I’m an occasional metal apologist, metal ballads are godawful. I’m here for the headbanging, not some fucking thorny rose or silent lucidity.