A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 4:58pm
Great choices rev.
Thanks Tom. Gogol Bordello making a comeback amongst the people.

One comment that has come up consistently is that people arent a fan of the vocals on the PV or GB tracks. Umm last I checked this was punk rock.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

PV - 6.5/10
Ever the contrarian, I like the vocals here but the lyrics I could make out sounded a bit 'angry 6th former.' Maybe that's how old they were when they wrote it though because I'm assuming they're not a new group. Not bad though, would listen again.

TL - 6/10
I saw Ted Leo live a while back and it was just him and an acoustic guitar so I'm happy to hear a more spiky version of him. I want to like him more but I find him a little forgettable. I did like the music though. Can't quite pin what it reminds me of though... Modern Lovers, maybe?

Bellrays 7/10
Seems like each band member could have a side gig in a band playing a completely different style of music (the guitarist is a mish-mash all on his own with his 'hard rock share the mic' bit and splits jump but wouldn't look out of place in a grunge band; if you told me the bassist was from Blink 182 I wouldn't argue) and I liked the vocals a lot. Not sure the style *entirely* worked for me but it's just about my favourite of the bunch

GB 7/10
Gets an extra point (I'm in a generous mood) for being the live version because I can't imagine ever listening to a studio album of theirs. Too much going on. The female voice freaked me out a bit TBH and I wanted to hear more of her rather than the 'rapper' (I put rapper in quotes not to denigrate him or rap, which I do love but to distinguish him from the shirtless singer)
I'd love to see them in a small venue but I think that opportunity has passed. Oh well. Can't imagine it works as well in a large setting

Weathermen 6/10
I want to call this ska-soul but that just sounds so wrong. Soul-ska sounds too Norwegian (one for the football fans there - don't say I never give you anything) - both are styles I can like when they press the right buttons but usually give a pass to. This one doesn't really do it for me but I did like the stuttering part after the chorus.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

oliver wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 9:13am
PV - 6.5/10
... the band has been around since the 80s but they took a hiatus and some members formed a different band, Ill include them in my next 5.
oliver wrote:
Bellrays 7/10
... I liked the vocals a lot. Not sure the style *entirely* worked for me but it's just about my favourite of the bunch
Lisa K has lent her vocals to a lot of projects. She has a powerful voice, she sang I Got a Right on the James Williamson album from a few years ago. Also does work with the guitar player, I think they are a couple. She also worked with Tim Kerr and some others on the Now Time Delegation which I think is worth checking out her vocals...
oliver wrote:
GB 7/10
They come here on every tour( where he started his music career) and play a decent sized club venue not huge by any means so you might have a chance of a small setting I would think. I enjoy them studio and live. They are a fun band.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

revbob wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 9:42am
They come here on every tour( where he started his music career) and play a decent sized club venue not huge by any means so you might have a chance of a small setting I would think. I enjoy them studio and live. They are a fun band.
Interesting... I'll look them up if things ever get back to normal.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 6:18pm
BitterTom wrote:
Great choices rev.
One comment that has come up consistently is that people arent a fan of the vocals on the PV or GB tracks. Umm last I checked this was punk rock.
IMCT has always been a Carly Rae Jepson board.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:27pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Great choices rev.
Except when it's an ABBA/Donna Summer board. And we all see what happens when Flex brings up the Exploited. Honestly, we're an anything-but-punk-rock board. That's what Sandinista! Side Seven looks like.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:32pm
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Great choices rev.
Except when it's an ABBA/Donna Summer board. And we all see what happens when Flex brings up the Exploited. Honestly, we're an anything-but-punk-rock board. That's what Sandinista! Side Seven looks like.
I don't really see the Clash as a punk band, and I'm not a huge fan of punk music with a few exceptions.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Great choices rev.
I don't really see the Clash as a punk band, and I'm not a huge fan of punk music with a few exceptions.
This board stopped being punk when Steve left. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Great choices rev.
Spirit and attitude they are a punk band. Musically after '78 I would agree.

But what is punk if not spirit and attitude.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:49pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:

Depends on what the spirit and attitude is. Can of worms: opened. :shifty:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:44pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:

I'll bet Steve has some thoughts about Qanon!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:56pm
revbob wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:44pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I'll bet Steve has some thoughts about Qanon!
It all makes sense now.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 2:49pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Depends on what the spirit and attitude is. Can of worms: opened. :shifty:
You can fuck off! Is that enough spirit and attitude for you. ;) :lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Great choices rev.
Thanks Tom. Gogol Bordello making a comeback amongst the people.
Thanks to you rev, introduced me to a number of great songs by Gogol Bordello. This is now my new favourite song.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Great choices rev.
Hestom.