End of the Century

General music discussion.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

End of the Century

Post by JennyB »

End of the Century was on Showtime last night. It's been a couple of years since I watched it, and I forgot about how good it was. There were many touching moments, like when they named the street after Joey, and it was, of course, great to see Joe. I loved the fact that I recognized his voice before he even came on. Not that it's a big deal to anyone around here, but the friend with whom I was watching the movie was surprised. And if Johnny wasn't the biggest dickhead on the planet, I don't know who was (talented as hell, but damn he must have been a nightmare). And of couse, I think I miss Dee Dee the most. But not his hip-hop career.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Re: End of the Century

Post by Suzanne H. »

I'd like to see End Of The Century. I've been looking for it for awhile.

I know what you mean about Dee Dee. He put the 'punk' into the group, in my opinion. The hip hop thing of his was a complete 180....it's a shame.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Suzanne H. wrote:I'd like to see End Of The Century. I've been looking for it for awhile.

I know what you mean about Dee Dee. He put the 'punk' into the group, in my opinion. The hip hop thing of his was a complete 180....it's a shame.

Eh, it was Dee Dee wanting to be Dee Dee. I see no harm.

The film is pretty widely available and absolutely worth seeing.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
Suzanne H. wrote:I'd like to see End Of The Century. I've been looking for it for awhile.

Yeah, what he said. He felt handcuffed by the Ramones, all the way down to the haircut.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
matedog wrote:

Yeah, what he said. He felt handcuffed by the Ramones, all the way down to the haircut.
I agree -- I love him for trying it, but it was painful. But almost so painful that it was good.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

The rap stuff doesn't bother me that much because I never took Dee Dee seriously anyway.

One of my favorite moments in the documentary was the early footage of them arguing on stage. "I don't wanna play I don't wanna go down to the basement" "fuck you" "1 2 3 4!"

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

got to be my favourite rock movie ever!

johnny was a twat
should have hit him with a bat.

dee dee's bay city roller t-shirt was the
birth of the uncool cool.

In A Rut
Dirty Punk

Post by In A Rut »

I love Standing in the Spotlight.....even though I did do a faceplant off my bike while listening to it in 1989. I guess you could say that that album scarred me for life. It should be re-released on CD with the Funky Man 12" as bonus tracks!

Dee Dee's version of "The Crusher" is better than the version on Adios Amigos.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

In A Rut wrote: Dee Dee's version of "The Crusher" is better than the version on Adios Amigos.
I like the Cramps version of the Crusher. But I'll give the Ramones the edge on Surfin Bird
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Post by Suzanne H. »

Dee Dee's 'Time Bomb' has to be one of the best, if not THE best, '80s punk song.

This is what I've decided.

In A Rut
Dirty Punk

Post by In A Rut »

Suzanne H. wrote:Dee Dee's 'Time Bomb' has to be one of the best, if not THE best, '80s punk song.

Sorry that spot has already been taken by Rikk Agnew's "OC Life".

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

In A Rut wrote:
Suzanne H. wrote:Dee Dee's 'Time Bomb' has to be one of the best, if not THE best, '80s punk song.

That is a great song. But there was an embarassment of riches in 80s punk. At least from 1980-1984ish.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
In A Rut wrote:

That is a great song. But there was an embarassment of riches in 80s punk. At least from 1980-1984ish.
Yeah, I was trying to think of better stuff - but even my CompuBrain got overloaded and - and that was only thinking of bands out of California. Never mind the rest of the country and then moving onto the rest of the world.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
In A Rut wrote:

Yeah, I was trying to think of better stuff - but even my CompuBrain got overloaded and - and that was only thinking of bands out of California. Never mind the rest of the country and then moving onto the rest of the world.
Same here. I actually almost got flustered just keeping in in SoCal.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

In A Rut
Dirty Punk

Post by In A Rut »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
In A Rut wrote:

Same here. I actually almost got flustered just keeping in in SoCal.
agreed. for me though that song says it all perfectly. you got to give the guy (rikk agnew) credit, especially for the fact that he played all the instruments himself on that song (& album). i don' t think he gets enough credit for how amazing a guitar player he is/was (whatever). long live the Socal "black cloud" guitar!