movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: movies

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 1:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 9:46am
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 1:46pm
Ford V. Ferrari was a blast. I'm a gear head, but I think even non-gear heads will like it. They blur the truth a bit, but the essence of the true story remains. Christian Bale is fantastic as the very much underrated Ken Miles: the Birmingham born engineer/driver. Matt Damon is fantastic as the fast talking Texan Carroll Shelby.
I have to make time for this. I’m not big on movie theaters but something like this needs the big sound.

Was it on par with Rush?
Hard to imagine anything measuring up to this.
Husker Du the glam years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 10:53am
Saw Knives Out on Wednesday, GREAT movie. Inventive, engaging and surprisingly funny Agatha Christie type whodunnit. Every cast member shines. I don't want to give one iota of anything away, but I'll say that the movie is also an absolutely fantastic examination of class solidarity among the wealthy and I think very easily explores the kind of terrain around class relations that some people think Joker tried to do. Top 5 movie of the year, easily.

On the other hand, we watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night after pie. Obviously great performance but I found the whole emotional core of the film being about a gay man and the heterosexual love of his life to be absolutely abhorrent. A film designed to satisfy homophobic fans of Queen AND folks who don't want Freddie Mercury's unwillingness to speak out about AIDs problematized at all. Rami Malek aside, the movie was really disappointing.
Late to the party on this, but would Knives Out be appropriate for my 10 year old to see?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 11:08am
laxman wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 10:25am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 8:36pm
I watched half of the Irishman last night. It was great and all but it was hard to pretend these actors were not geriatric. There was something plastic about it. It would have been much better if they made it 20 years ago.
I've started watching it too, and know what you mean. There was one scene where De Niro went to beat up a guy in a store. He got him out in the street and started kicking him and stamping on his hand. I thought De Niro was going to collapse, he looked very unsteady on his feet. I reckon the guy could have escaped by walking briskly away!
De Niro is 76
Pecino is 79
Pesci is 76

Even Ray Romano at 61 was a little too old for the role.
It was crazy that De Niro kept getting called 'kid' by anyone at all.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 2:09pm
Late to the party on this, but would Knives Out be appropriate for my 10 year old to see?
Probably. There's one line from Daniel Craig about referring to the alt right kid masturbating in the bathroom (it's a joke, nothing like that is depicted) and there's some depicted pot use, both those are brief. But I don't recall much salty language and despite the murder plot it's not really violent or anything. Very minimal blood in one scene. No scenes of sex or whatever. Definitely calibrated to be a movie the whole family can go to.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 8:28pm
JennyB wrote:
Probably. There's one line from Daniel Craig about referring to the alt right kid masturbating in the bathroom (it's a joke, nothing like that is depicted) and there's some depicted pot use, both those are brief. But I don't recall much salty language and despite the murder plot it's not really violent or anything. Very minimal blood in one scene. No scenes of sex or whatever. Definitely calibrated to be a movie the whole family can go to.
Looking forward to this, hopefully this week.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Kory wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 8:46pm
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Looking forward to this, hopefully this week.
We saw it over the weekend. Altho it took a few frames to adjust to Daniel Craig's southern accent the ensemble cast was really something, and Christopher Plummer is the Keith Richards of actors - he just keeps going and going.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Anyone seen Jojo Rabbit?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 7:53am
Anyone seen Jojo Rabbit?
No but I will. I love comedies with buffoonish Nazis.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Cool, thank you! That joke would probably fly over VH, jr.'s head, and I don't care about salty language (I mean, his favorite band is the Violent Femmes and he has actually never said a curse word himself). I just wanted to make sure there was no gratuitous violence or anything. Thank you!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2014, 3:15pm
Okay, these summaries are a bit long, but they're taken from my own recaps drawn from my notes. No commentary or analysis is offered, just a summary. I'm going chronologically thru my list, so these first three aren't jd films per se, but rather re exploitation flicks that have some relation to what is to come. I imagine a lot of you have seen the first two movies. Tomorrow I'll be starting proper jd movies, beginning with City Across the River.

Marihuana, dir. Dwain Esper (Roadshow Attractions Corporation, 1936). The rise and fall of Burma, aka Blondie, the “queen of the snow peddlars.” Burma Roberts is the youngest of two daughters, raised in a large suburban California home. Her sister Elaine is engaged to “popular young bachelor Morgan Stewart” (according to a newspaper headline) and is favoured by their mother. Burma is more of a party girl, who dreams of marrying her boyfriend Dick—once he gets rich. One night, a sinister moustached man named Tony comes into the beer hall where the kids hang out and invites them over to his beach house next Saturday for a real party. That night, the gang have a great time dancing and drinking. Then Nick, Tony’s partner who speaks with a thick Italian accent, puts out some of “the funniest cigarettes I ever tasted,” and all the girls try some. They immediately start giggling and chase each other around. This leads to the girls stripping down for some ocean skinny-dipping (full frontal alert!). Tony looks to Nick and says, “Well, it’s one way of creating business. When they’re that age, they’re not suspicious, and easily hooked.” However, Joan drowns in the surf and Nick tells everyone to keep quiet about the party.

Burma is distraught over Joan’s death, but her mother is more concerned about what it might mean to the family name, especially with Elaine getting married right away. An upset Burma leaves the house and meets Dick outside. She wants to get married, but he says he doesn’t have the money to support them. She then tells him that, no, “you must marry me.” (you know, pre-marital wocka wocka). Dick agrees and says he’ll talk to Tony about a job. And good ol’ Tony just happens to have work for him. A shipment of marijuana has come in at the docks and they need to transport it. However, the police show up. Everyone gets away except Dick, who is shot dead. Burma tells Tony that he has to accept responsibility for what happened to Dick. He convinces her that the smart play is to go away and have the baby, and he’ll handle everything. She writes her mother that she needs to go away for awhile and, anyway, she loves Elaine more.

Nine months later, Burma has her baby and Tony convinces her to give it up for adoption and work for him. She agrees and he says he’ll handle everything. Burma becomes Tony’s best drug pusher and is living the high life (that’s a pun, because she’s both living in relative luxury and she’s developed a heroin habit). While delivering to one of her customers, she sees Elaine and her husband with a little girl, and hatches a plan. She goes back to Tony and Nick and says that they’ll kidnap the girl and ransom her for $50,000. The best part, she says, is that her sister would never turn her in to the cops. It’s foolproof! The kidnapping goes off perfectly, but while Burma meets with Morgan to get the money, the police, operating on a separate tip, arrest Nick and Tony. Morgan, meanwhile, refuses to pay the ransom, telling Burma (whom he doesn’t see) that the child is actually his sister-in-law’s, adopted after she went missing. Burma goes back to the apartment, fortifying herself with a quick shot of H. Tony, Nick, and the cops are waiting for her as she walks in, sees her daughter, and collapses.

Reefer Madness [originally Tell Your Children], dir. Louis Gasnier (G and H Productions, 1936). The granddaddy of drug fear exploitation flicks and deserving of its rep. It begins with Dr. Alfred Carroll speaking before a PTA about the need for unity to “stamp out this frightful assassin of our youth.” The only way is through compulsory education. And he knows what he’s talking about, as he relates the story of what happened at a nearby high school, where he just so happens to be the principal. Near the high school is a large apartment operated by Mae and Jack, where they sell drugs and offer a place to smoke up and dance. They also employ Ralph, a college student, as a pusher. Ralph as a think for Mary, a high school student, but she’s going with Bill, the most gee-whiz-swell teen you could ever hope to meet. Bill and Jimmy, Mary’s brother, meet up with Ralph and Blanche at the soda shop, and they encourage them to come to Mae and Jack’s. Bill is obviously disconcerted by the out-of-control laughter and hyperactive partying, especially the make-out sessions going on around him. Blanche gives Bill a joint, but he hesitates until she says, “I thought you were a sport. Of course, if you’re afraid ….” Meanwhile, Jimmy gives Jack a ride downtown in exchange for reefer, which he smokes while Jack talks to his boss. When Jack comes out and they drive off, Jimmy is out of control and hits and kills a pedestrian. Jack says to keep quiet and all will be fine.

Some time passes and Mary is upset that Bill is spending all his free time at Mae’s. In fact, that day, Bill gets stoned and ends up in bed with Blanche. Mary shows up and Ralph gives her a joint, then proceeds to try to rape her. Bill emerges from the bedroom as she fights him off, but in his drug-addled mind, he thinks she’s initiating things with Ralph. Bill loses his nut and attacks Ralph. Jack comes in to break up the fight and in the process Marry is shot dead and Bill is knocked unconscious. Ralph and Jack set up Bill, who takes the fall for Mary’s murder.

Bill goes on trial for the “Marijuana Slaying,” in which his principal, Dr. Carroll, tells the jury that Bill used to be an all-American boy, but then he became erratic, almost certainly due to marijuana. The jury convicts because they need to set an example to other teens that drug insanity is no defense. Meanwhile, Ralph is in hiding and going squirrelly because he needs reefer. Jack’s boss tells him that Ralph is becoming a liability and needs to be bumped off. Mae finally gives in and let’s Ralph have a puff. The laughing madness again consumes him, as he orders Blanche to play the piano faster … faster … FASTER! Jack shows up and pot’s apparent ESP powers allows Ralph to conclude that he’s there to kill him. Instead, Ralph kills Jack. The police arrive and arrest a catatonic Ralph. Blanche is questioned by the police, which leads to a montage of drug busts throughout the city. Blanche also clears Bill of his crime and pleads guilty to “fostering moral delinquency.” As she’s being led to her cell, she breaks free of her guard and, in a fit of remorse, leaps out a window to her death. At his trial, Ralph is totally unhinged. Both his lawyer and the prosecutors agree that he’s permanently insane due to marijuana use and placed in an asylum for the rest of his miserable life.

The story returns to Carroll and the PTA, where the old man points throughout the room that the next victim could be yours or yours or [pointing at the camera] yours.

Delinquent Daughters, dir. Albert Herman (PRC Pictures, 1944). The movie opens with a newspaper headline that announces the suicide of Lucille Dillerton, 17. Kids at school sit around discussing it and blaming their own parents. The police show up to question the kids about what they know, but Sally tells everyone not to trust the cops and keep their mouths shut. And, indeed, they offer nothing to the police. Afterwards, Sally and Jerry offer June a ride home. First, tho, Jerry has to stop at a candy store and rob it. They drive off, chased by the police—the same cops who questioned them at school—and in the process Jerry hits a pedestrian in front of the Merry-Go-Round Club, a teen hangout operated by a gangster named Nick. Jerry hides his car and they go in. The cops show up and take a walk through. Det. Hanahan doesn’t like all these unchaperoned kids, telling Steve the reporter that these clubs are the cause of half the juvenile delinquency in the country. June says she needs to get home, but instead Sally phones June’s dad and pretends to be her own mother, saying that June is studying with Sally and then sleeping over. Rocky, Jerry’s friend, shows up and pawns his dad’s gun to Nick for $3. The cops show up again and become suspicious when Nick leaves out the back way. Hanahan tells all the kids to get out and go home.

June goes home and her father tells her he knows that she wasn’t at Sally’s place. He slaps her and tells her to get out. She wanders down to the river where Lucille killed herself, where she meets Rocky. She tells Rocky what happened with her father and he says somebody should punch him instead. Then he says, “This is all wrong. Nobody ever gives a darn about us kids. We have feelings the same as grown-ups do. I wish we both could get out of this town. June, let’s get married.” Instead, Hanahan shows up and wants to take them to see the judge. However, Sally and Jerry see them and push Hanahan in the river. June and Rocky leave, while Sally and Jerry pull a couple stick-up jobs. As they count the money, Jerry thinks they should hope a train car and leave town, maybe get married. Sally agrees but wants to go hope to pack. She hitchhikes and robs the man who gives her a ride. She then returns to Jerry and says that she can make too much money robbing people in town, so they abandon running away. Sally goes home and his scolded by her parents for being out so late. They exchange harsh words and Sally goes to bed, sobbing over how they once broke up her and a boy named Jimmy.

June and Rocky are walking together and Hanahan nabs them once again, and takes them to the judge’s home despite the late hour. The judge listens and has their parents come over immediately, where he scolds them for not being more supportive of their kids and resorting to violence too quickly. He also scolds a boy named Roy, whose mother works nights to support the family. Roy agrees: “The trouble with us kids is we never stop to think enough.” The judge tells everyone that Lucille’s death should be on everyone’s mind, that if she only had someone to support her, she’d still be alive. Everyone is free to go.

The next day, Nick tells Jerry he needs his help on a payroll robbery, and gives him Rocky’s dad’s gun. That night, they hold-up a place and take the payroll bag. Sally is the getaway driver, but only Nick makes it back, as Jerry is shot (perhaps fatally). The police trace the gun to Rocky’s dad, and bring him in. Then Rocky and June are questioned, and Rocky admits that he pawned it to Nick. They are, again, free to go, and follow the police to Nick’s club. Nick and Sally flee the police and a chase ensues through winding roads (the same footage used over and over). Rocky and June take a short cut and get in front of Nick and Sally, whose car goes over the cliff and kills them. Steve the reporter, who is riding with Hanahan for some reason, looks down at the wreck and declares the case closed.

In the final scene, the club has reopened under new management—the kids themselves!—with the judge, Hanahan, and Steve tending the non-alcoholic bar. Everyone is having a good time.
Watched Reefer Madness today. It has a reputation as a terrible film (and it is hysterical to the nth degree) but as a movie about a terrifying fictional substance, it's actually okay. It also seems like the fiftiesist movie ever, despite predating that decade by 14 years.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 1:19pm
Watched Reefer Madness today. It has a reputation as a terrible film (and it is hysterical to the nth degree) but as a movie about a terrifying fictional substance, it's actually okay. It also seems like the fiftiesist movie ever, despite predating that decade by 14 years.
Excellent observation! That's because in the 1950s, low-budget movies emulated the exploitation films of the 1930s and 1940s—take a social problem that's in the news, sensationalize it, but present the whole thing as being in the public interest (often with a little wink that there are forces out there covering up the problem). That the US in the 1950s was especially obsessed with proper conformist thinking and rooting out deviancy, these films were ideal for satisfying and encouraging that kind of anxiety.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

"It’d be funny if it weren’t funny at all. Most of the time, corporations have to pay people to lay down this kind of Astroturf on their behalf. This is what nerds are now: a volunteer army of PR freelancers for the biggest media companies in the world, shouting down anybody who refuses to read “BLACK WIDOW EQUALS FEMINISM” or “BABY GROOT IS AWESOMESAUCE” off a cue card held by a dancing Spider-Man. To these poor souls I recommend carving out a few hours of the waning decade for a movie called The Irishman, in which a guy commits for life to an institution that doesn’t care about him at all, and realizes too late that he’s absolutely powerless."
Full article: https://gen.medium.com/the-decade-comic ... 19b732a660

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 2:51pm
"It’d be funny if it weren’t funny at all. Most of the time, corporations have to pay people to lay down this kind of Astroturf on their behalf. This is what nerds are now: a volunteer army of PR freelancers for the biggest media companies in the world, shouting down anybody who refuses to read “BLACK WIDOW EQUALS FEMINISM” or “BABY GROOT IS AWESOMESAUCE” off a cue card held by a dancing Spider-Man. To these poor souls I recommend carving out a few hours of the waning decade for a movie called The Irishman, in which a guy commits for life to an institution that doesn’t care about him at all, and realizes too late that he’s absolutely powerless."
Full article: https://gen.medium.com/the-decade-comic ... 19b732a660
It's a weird evolution where one could go from hiding their love of superheroes because they'd look a wimp to hiding it for fear that people will think one is a seething racist/misogynist/fascist.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 3:20pm
It's a weird evolution where one could go from hiding their love of superheroes because they'd look a wimp to hiding it for fear that people will think one is a seething racist/misogynist/fascist.
Or even just a corporate stooge. Nerds are a little boomerish in the counter-culture->mono-culture transition, imho, and all the bundles of insecurities and imagined ongoing persecutions that animates both groups.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 3:20pm
Or even just a corporate stooge. Nerds are a little boomerish in the counter-culture->mono-culture transition, imho, and all the bundles of insecurities and imagined ongoing persecutions that animates both groups.
When comic book nerds said that they wanted their love of the genre to be accepted, that they didn't want to be made to feel diminished for it, it turns out that what they actually wanted was for that love to dominate and not be shared or inclusive. Keep the segregation, but flip the status.