movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 2:17pm
revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 1:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 9:46am
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 1:46pm
Ford V. Ferrari was a blast. I'm a gear head, but I think even non-gear heads will like it. They blur the truth a bit, but the essence of the true story remains. Christian Bale is fantastic as the very much underrated Ken Miles: the Birmingham born engineer/driver. Matt Damon is fantastic as the fast talking Texan Carroll Shelby.
I have to make time for this. I’m not big on movie theaters but something like this needs the big sound.

Was it on par with Rush?
Hard to imagine anything measuring up to this.
Is that Rainbow

(See what I did there :shifty: )
You misidentified Rush for Rainbow?

Also the rest of the band is pretty short or Dio is standing on a step ladder.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 2:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 2:17pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Ford V. Ferrari was a blast. I'm a gear head, but I think even non-gear heads will like it. They blur the truth a bit, but the essence of the true story remains. Christian Bale is fantastic as the very much underrated Ken Miles: the Birmingham born engineer/driver. Matt Damon is fantastic as the fast talking Texan Carroll Shelby.
I have to make time for this. I’m not big on movie theaters but something like this needs the big sound.

Was it on par with Rush?
Is that Rainbow

(See what I did there :shifty: )
You misidentified Rush for Rainbow?

Also the rest of the band is pretty short or Dio is standing on a step ladder.
No not misidentified I was referencing the rainbow tick for the trans community

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Was it on par with Rush?
You had that handy, troubling.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 6:34pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Was it on par with Rush?
You had that handy, troubling.
My older brother had a similar Rush poster.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 8:28pm

I have an old friend who was a hippie, smoked tons of weed, and was into Rush. He's a Trumper now.

BostonBeaneater

I watched half of the Irishman last night. It was great and all but it was hard to pretend these actors were not geriatric. There was something plastic about it. It would have been much better if they made it 20 years ago.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 8:34pm
revbob wrote:

I have an old friend who was a hippie, smoked tons of weed, and was into Rush. He's a Trumper now.
That feels like validation for my serious dislike of Rush. I'd like to think that a Venn diagram of my musical loves would barely touch that of a Trurmpers'.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 8:34pm
revbob wrote:

Yeah, my brother is a musician so he certainly appreciated the musicality of Rush back in the day, he was big on prog rock in general and I think Rush tangentially touched on that. I dont know if he is still into that sort of thing anymore though
He's definitely not a Trumper though. He and I are perhaps the only two left leaning members of the family (other than our own progeny. Both sisters and cousins aunts/uncles seem to be pretty Trumpy. Im curious where my dad (a Nixon/Reagan Republican) would fall were he still alive because he HATED Trump back in the day, saw him for what he was.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Was it on par with Rush?
It was not as good as Rush. Rush (in my opinion) is a top-3 race film (along with Grand Prix and Le Mans). That said, it was a really good film. They do monkey with some of the details and there is a fair amount of Hollywood racing film cliches, but the story is really good. The acting is really good, too.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Queen and Slim was fantastic. Best film I've seen all year. It felt like a journey - both literal and emotional - that completely sucked me in. I've seen it compared a few times to Bonnie and Clyde, but I think it has more in common with Do the Right Thing because it's built on the core premise that justice differs depending on the color of your skin...as does the value society places on your life and humanity.

I can't believe many Trumpers will be down with this movie, but I really hope white America gives it a chance. It asks some powerful questions.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 8:36pm
I watched half of the Irishman last night. It was great and all but it was hard to pretend these actors were not geriatric. There was something plastic about it. It would have been much better if they made it 20 years ago.
I've started watching it too, and know what you mean. There was one scene where De Niro went to beat up a guy in a store. He got him out in the street and started kicking him and stamping on his hand. I thought De Niro was going to collapse, he looked very unsteady on his feet. I reckon the guy could have escaped by walking briskly away!

BostonBeaneater

laxman wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 10:25am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I've started watching it too, and know what you mean. There was one scene where De Niro went to beat up a guy in a store. He got him out in the street and started kicking him and stamping on his hand. I thought De Niro was going to collapse, he looked very unsteady on his feet. I reckon the guy could have escaped by walking briskly away!
De Niro is 76
Pecino is 79
Pesci is 76

Even Ray Romano at 61 was a little too old for the role.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 11:08am
laxman wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
De Niro is 76
Pecino is 79
Pesci is 76

I also watched half last night (wife fell asleep) and I also couldn't get over the makeup. It make 76 year old men look like they were 66. or 68. or 72.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
laxman wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
De Niro is 76
Pecino is 79
Pesci is 76

I also watched half last night (wife fell asleep) and I also couldn't get over the makeup. It make 76 year old men look like they were 66. or 68. or 72.
I wonder how it would have been had the movie been cast with age appropriate stars? Hoffa was 62 when he vanished. Sheeran was 55 in 1975.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 1:31pm
tepista wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:59pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
laxman wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
De Niro is 76
Pecino is 79
Pesci is 76

I wonder how it would have been had the movie been cast with age appropriate stars? Hoffa was 62 when he vanished. Sheeran was 55 in 1975.
I didn't even know his was based on true events until Hoffa showed up. I didn't know fuck about it except the cast and Marty.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak