Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 6:05am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 5:56am
I see the PiL on Check it Out clip of Chant / interview that Heston posted to YouTube is now on the God Save the Sex Pistols web page. Good work Heston. :approve:
I was wondering where all the hits were coming from.
See me when you are rich enough to buy Virgin records. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 4:34am
Simple Minds fronted by Mark E Smith
Marky wins.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From Keith Morris' essay in More Fun in the New World:
But first we were going to hit the kegs at Perkins Palace while Dream set up the stage for Public Image Limited, who were auditioning bass players. We were kicking back, having some beers, and watching these auditions, hearing the same songs over and over again, which didn’t bother us because we loved that first PiL record. Sometimes a guy would get up and start playing, and we could tell almost immediately that he wasn’t the right fit for the band. Then who should come up for his tryout but our friend Michael Balzary, a.k.a. Flea from The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea plugged in, and it was clear that the rest of the band didn’t know who he was, but in those days not many people did. But Flea meant business. He was really into the songs and nailing every note. A couple of minutes into the tryout the members of PiL started looking at each other like, “This is it! We found our bass player!” By the time they finished their last song it seemed like they’d made up their mind to invite Flea to join their band, but he beat them to the punch. “That was really fun!” Flea said. “You guys are great, but I can’t join your band!” It turned out Flea just wanted to jam with them! They didn’t like that at all, but we thought it was hilarious. I got to watch John Lydon storm out of the building, and I didn’t get the feeling I’d been cheated.
Given Lydon's rep for gleefully blowing up other musicians, I rather enjoyed that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 1:00pm
But first we were going to hit the kegs at Perkins Palace while Dream set up the stage for Public Image Limited, who were auditioning bass players. We were kicking back, having some beers, and watching these auditions, hearing the same songs over and over again, which didn’t bother us because we loved that first PiL record. Sometimes a guy would get up and start playing, and we could tell almost immediately that he wasn’t the right fit for the band. Then who should come up for his tryout but our friend Michael Balzary, a.k.a. Flea from The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea plugged in, and it was clear that the rest of the band didn’t know who he was, but in those days not many people did. But Flea meant business. He was really into the songs and nailing every note. A couple of minutes into the tryout the members of PiL started looking at each other like, “This is it! We found our bass player!” By the time they finished their last song it seemed like they’d made up their mind to invite Flea to join their band, but he beat them to the punch. “That was really fun!” Flea said. “You guys are great, but I can’t join your band!” It turned out Flea just wanted to jam with them! They didn’t like that at all, but we thought it was hilarious. I got to watch John Lydon storm out of the building, and I didn’t get the feeling I’d been cheated.
Given Lydon's rep for gleefully blowing up other musicians, I rather enjoyed that.
I've read that story many times over the years. But not with the end payoff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely chuckled.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 2:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely chuckled.
I hadn’t heard that before 😂

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 3:30pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely chuckled.
Oh boy that's great.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 3:30pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely chuckled.
I had many times apart from the Lydon storming out bit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 5:49pm
The best part of the story.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 5:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah maybe if the Lydon storming off bit is actually true.

Here's part of an interview with John about the recent PiL film/documentary "The Public Image is Rotten".

Interviewer:
In the documentary, Flea reveals that he auditioned to be in PiL. I didn't know that.
Lydon:
Fine chap. Very good fun, him. He's open and human. I never knew he was going to be in this documentary. That came as quite a surprise to me, when his face zinged up on the screen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 7:00pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Here's part of an interview with John about the recent PiL film/documentary "The Public Image is Rotten".

Interviewer:
In the documentary, Flea reveals that he auditioned to be in PiL. I didn't know that.
Lydon:
Fine chap. Very good fun, him. He's open and human. I never knew he was going to be in this documentary. That came as quite a surprise to me, when his face zinged up on the screen.
Wait what, I didn't know he was capable of niceties

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 8:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Interviewer:
Lydon:
Oh lord, check out his more recent memoir. It's a laughable as he describes how he loves everyone even tho so many people have screwed him over. Sure, John, there are differences between your private and public personas, and I don't doubt that you're loyal as fuck to those closest to you, but is everyone lying about your prima donna tendencies?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 9:03pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Interviewer:
Lydon:
Oh lord, check out his more recent memoir. It's a laughable as he describes how he loves everyone even tho so many people have screwed him over. Sure, John, there are differences between your private and public personas, and I don't doubt that you're loyal as fuck to those closest to you, but is everyone lying about your prima donna tendencies?
Not suggesting Keith Morris is lying Just take a look at that clip Heston posted of PiL on Check it Out to see how he was more than capable of walking off when he felt he was being set up. But I've read the Flea story loads but never heard the bit of Lydon sulking off. Also the way the story reads about they way Keith says he loves that first PiL album suggests it's early on but it isn't I reckon it's from around the period of TWIN . Now I've no doubt Flea might have improved the bass playing but not that album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 4:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:

Interviewer:
Lydon:
Not suggesting Keith Morris is lying Just take a look at that clip Heston posted of PiL on Check it Out to see how he was more than capable of walking off when he felt he was being set up. But I've read the Flea story loads but never heard the bit of Lydon sulking off. Also the way the story reads about they way Keith says he loves that first PiL album suggests it's early on but it isn't I reckon it's from around the period of TWIN . Now I've no doubt Flea might have improved the bass playing but not that album.
The story is from 1984, because right before that he's talking about how he and his friends were going to an Olympic soccer match in Pasadena. I just checked a PiL gigography and the band did play at Perkins Palace in Pasadena in 1984, but it was November, so that doesn't fit with the Olympics.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 7:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 4:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Interviewer:
Lydon:
The story is from 1984, because right before that he's talking about how he and his friends were going to an Olympic soccer match in Pasadena. I just checked a PiL gigography and the band did play at Perkins Palace in Pasadena in 1984, but it was November, so that doesn't fit with the Olympics.
That's interesting. I'm not suggesting for a second that Lydon doesn't play the contrary prima donna but I do understand some of the paranoia. After the Pistols he was set up on a few occasions.

I read in another post where revbob and your good self were discussing Jello and rev saying he understood why Jello was the way he was due to police raids . Well the same thing would happen to Lydon at Gunter grove, London. Police with sniffer dogs raiding his digs and even ripping apart his poor cat. Add to this the drug state of the band and his distrust of managers after McLaren's manipulations. Back to the story if I had paid to rehearse somewhere for a new bass player and I was paying for someone to turn up only to be told he wanted to jam so he can tell his friends I once jammed with PiL I doubt very much i'd be over impressed either. But it appears that Lydon likes the guy and respects him so fair play for that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia