Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 4:20pm
Marky, having said that who actually gets a share of royalties, Isn’t it just the song writer or whoever owns the publishing rights?
The songwriter gets the biggest cut but musicians get mechanical royalties for performing on the record, unless you are a session man and take a flat fee. Performance royalties are small in comparison though. A lot of writers sell their publishing rights as you know. Weller sold his a year or two back.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 6:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky, having said that who actually gets a share of royalties, Isn’t it just the song writer or whoever owns the publishing rights?
The songwriter gets the biggest cut but musicians get mechanical royalties for performing on the record, unless you are a session man and take a flat fee. Performance royalties are small in comparison though. A lot of writers sell their publishing rights as you know. Weller sold his a year or two back.
I didn’t know Weller sold his, how much did he get (before the maintenance got it).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 7:52pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I didn’t know Weller sold his, how much did he get (before the maintenance got it).
A fair bit of pretty green. But he lost it all in the fruit machine and jukebox. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 7:52pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Not sure but his songs suddenly started appearing in ads.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Do publishing rights cover syncing rights for placement in commercials and tv and so on? I'm having trouble researching which category that falls under.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 12:42pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Do publishing rights cover syncing rights for placement in commercials and tv and so on? I'm having trouble researching which category that falls under.
Most definitely, I think that's where the most money is made.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 12:51pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I'm trying to get bandleader to register my 16.6% of performance royalties with BMI before I quit the band, I'm wondering if that's even worth it or if I should quit now?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 12:54pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I'm trying to get bandleader to register my 16.6% of performance royalties with BMI before I quit the band, I'm wondering if that's even worth it or if I should quit now?
Given how generally unsatisfying the experience has been for you (I gather), sticking it out for some potential cash seems sensible. If delaying quitting meant losing out on a different opportunity, that be different, but it's basically about freedom from headaches for you, no?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 1:01pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Given how generally unsatisfying the experience has been for you (I gather), sticking it out for some potential cash seems sensible. If delaying quitting meant losing out on a different opportunity, that be different, but it's basically about freedom from headaches for you, no?
Migraines at this point, but yeah. I'm just so checked out at this point that even the thought of going to practice for these last two months sends me into a depression spiral like crazy. I'm just wondering if my 16.6% of performance royalties (I don't get any publishing) is really going to be worth it, even if the band does become somewhat known. And the thought of her still dragging her feet beyond November really gives me anxiety.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 1:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

Migraines at this point, but yeah. I'm just so checked out at this point that even the thought of going to practice for these last two months sends me into a depression spiral like crazy. I'm just wondering if my 16.6% of performance royalties (I don't get any publishing) is really going to be worth it, even if the band does become somewhat known. And the thought of her still dragging her feet beyond November really gives me anxiety.
Your mental and physical health are more than legit concerns, so it is a question of putting a dollar figure on that. The other thought is that maybe the record does take off, you'd still be in a position to sue after the fact. Document the fuck out of conversation re. her footdragging and how damned miserable the situation is. None of it is ideal, I know, but there are still possibilities after you leave.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 1:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Your mental and physical health are more than legit concerns, so it is a question of putting a dollar figure on that. The other thought is that maybe the record does take off, you'd still be in a position to sue after the fact. Document the fuck out of conversation re. her footdragging and how damned miserable the situation is. None of it is ideal, I know, but there are still possibilities after you leave.
I would be very nervous about losing a case like that, but yeah. I think I just have to play it by ear and hope that it gets done by what I hope will be my final show on Nov. 30. I think I'm out the door either way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I would be very nervous about losing a case like that, but yeah. I think I just have to play it by ear and hope that it gets done by what I hope will be my final show on Nov. 30. I think I'm out the door either way.
Whatever the case, I'll toast your freedom come December (perhaps to validate my own inclinations, I cheer on people who quit).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 1:50pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Whatever the case, I'll toast your freedom come December (perhaps to validate my own inclinations, I cheer on people who quit).
Thanks! I'm planning to do something big, what a relief it will be.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Watching Suggs on TV this morning talking about the new Madness book and the subject of money came up. Madness have always claimed that they haven’t / don’t make any money because it goes 7 ways but I can’t believe that.
They split it 50% to the songwriter and 50% to the performing members.
Some Madness songs have been huge over the past 4 decades, I know Suggs didn’t write Our House but as an example that song alone must have made a huge amount of cash.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 3:10pm
Watching Suggs on TV this morning talking about the new Madness book and the subject of money came up. Madness have always claimed that they haven’t / don’t make any money because it goes 7 ways but I can’t believe that.
They split it 50% to the songwriter and 50% to the performing members.
Some Madness songs have been huge over the past 4 decades, I know Suggs didn’t write Our House but as an example that song alone must have made a huge amount of cash.
I'm not a fan of that setup. I think everything in a band should be split equally. Fuck the songwriter.