Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 9:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 8:57am
gkbill wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 8:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 8:46am
We all separate art from artist to various degrees because we know that most musicians hold dubious views or have behaved in morally awful ways. Lennon was a domestic abuser. Elvis had a thing for young girls—hell, most rock musicians in the 60s and 70s probably committed statutory rape (and in some cases unqualified rape) with groupies. So we pick and choose what lines are sacrosanct and rationalize or ignore other things. It doesn't make us hypocrites, only that a commitment to absolutes and purities is best spent alone in a cave.
Hello,

Play that funky music, a**hole!
I'm not following. Am I an asshole here?
I doubt very much he means you. The asshole in this case I expect being the whiteboy.
But I'm a white … *checks, shrugs* … boy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 9:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 8:46am
We all separate art from artist to various degrees because we know that most musicians hold dubious views or have behaved in morally awful ways. Lennon was a domestic abuser. Elvis had a thing for young girls—hell, most rock musicians in the 60s and 70s probably committed statutory rape (and in some cases unqualified rape) with groupies. So we pick and choose what lines are sacrosanct and rationalize or ignore other things. It doesn't make us hypocrites, only that a commitment to absolutes and purities is best spent alone in a cave.
Hello,

I doubt very much he means you. The asshole in this case I expect being the whiteboy.
Yes you are a white asshole but you didn't rip off no black man and get to number 1 with a song that's more funky than a black funk song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 9:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Yes you are a white asshole but you didn't rip off no black man and get to number 1 with a song that's more funky than a black funk song.
Only because my record company wouldn't promote me properly. :angry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I was only thinking about this question a few days ago in relation to Eric Clapton. We all know Clapton is a bit of a doofus with a dark history of racism and other xenophobic nonsense, maybe he has repented all that shameful history, not sure about that. But while not a fan and never actually buying any clapton output, there are about 3 or 4 videos on youtube i've watched that are pretty damn awesome and no amount of character defects on the performers resume changes or downgrades that fact. Maybe the moral question is should i refuse to listen to them and pretend they dont exist? Should i feel dirty and ashamed for actually deriving pleasure from the listening? Since the songs themselves dont contain anything morally dubious or offensive, i'm not sure why that should be so. Same with Morrissey, i heard him do a cover version the other day (joni mitchells dont interrupt the sorrow) which i reckoned was one of the best things i've heard in ages and that grieved me terribly because i've always despised the horrid son of a bitch with a passion. But it was totally awesome so what could i do except enjoy it for what it was?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 9:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Bloody record companies know nothing. Mind you ripping off Barry White and calling yourself Barry Black may have been what swung their opinion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mick Jagger - It's the singer not the song.
Marky Dread - It's the song not the singer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A couple examples of my own, each going a different way. Some of you might know an Australian collage artist who goes by the name Pogo. He samples mostly animated films to create rather cool electronic music ("Alice" from Alice in Wonderland is fucking fantastic). Last year or the year before, he was outed as a pretty nasty homophobe, revelling especially in violence against queer people more generally. I've listened to him once since then and the magic was gone.

Several years ago, Michael Gira of Swans was accused of rape by a woman on his record label and who, I think, he was producing. He said he thought it was consensual. Given the nature of his lyrics and angry past, I thought it was more than plausible that he was guilty. As details emerged, the veracity of her story started to tilt the other direction. Nobody else came forward to accuse him of similar behaviour (as often happens), members of her old band stated that she had a history of falsely accusing people of rape, and Gira's wife claimed that she had texts from the woman that would prove she was lying. And after that the whole thing went quiet. It's not 100% exonerating, but I think the needle points towards his version. But if that kind of evidence hadn't emerged, would I have continued to be a Swans fan? Likely not, even tho part of the band's appeal for me is that he's a guy wrestling with a fuckload of demons. But I can't rule out the possibility I wouldn't have put blinders on and gone with art/pleasure over artist.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Bloody record companies know nothing. Mind you ripping off Barry White and calling yourself Barry Black may have been what swung their opinion.
They were the ones that suggested the name!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 11:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well obviously but did you really think you would get away with that skin tight white lycra suit?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 11:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Well obviously but did you really think you would get away with that skin tight white lycra suit?
It was the 80s! All the hair metal bands did it!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 11:02am
I was only thinking about this question a few days ago in relation to Eric Clapton. We all know Clapton is a bit of a doofus with a dark history of racism and other xenophobic nonsense, maybe he has repented all that shameful history, not sure about that. But while not a fan and never actually buying any clapton output, there are about 3 or 4 videos on youtube i've watched that are pretty damn awesome and no amount of character defects on the performers resume changes or downgrades that fact. Maybe the moral question is should i refuse to listen to them and pretend they dont exist? Should i feel dirty and ashamed for actually deriving pleasure from the listening? Since the songs themselves dont contain anything morally dubious or offensive, i'm not sure why that should be so. Same with Morrissey, i heard him do a cover version the other day (joni mitchells dont interrupt the sorrow) which i reckoned was one of the best things i've heard in ages and that grieved me terribly because i've always despised the horrid son of a bitch with a passion. But it was totally awesome so what could i do except enjoy it for what it was?
Hello,

You can avoid this dilemma by contributing to Citizens Against Stupid Hatred. Citizens Against Stupid Hatred (CASH) works to educate artists such as these. Please send a check to support Citizens Against Stupid Hatred to me (made out using the acronym CASH) to help this cause. You'll be contributing to a happier world (at least, my happier world).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 11:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well maybe you still had some hair back then. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Some. :sad: I once used a Spin cover from the 80s in the lecture. Can't recall who was on the cover—Jim Kerr, I think—but the guy had serious 80s hair. Smart-ass student asked me whether I had that much hair when I was young.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Some. :sad: I once used a Spin cover from the 80s in the lecture. Can't recall who was on the cover—Jim Kerr, I think—but the guy had serious 80s hair. Smart-ass student asked me whether I had that much hair when I was young.
I hope you gave that student a straight A.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I hope you gave that student a straight A.
He was very much a fucknut who earned his D or D+ wholly on merit.