Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 6:24pm
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:57pm
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:54pm

I like "Something" but it's all about the bass playing and the brilliant middle 8 for me.
Nothing too wrong with either of those but fine bass playing and a great middle 8 do not make it a good song.
The rest of it is decent enough imo. Better than the sitar crap he did. ;)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the overrated George song for me. The acoustic version on Anthology is nice but the LP version is just overcooked, and has added Clapton.
Agreed re. "Something," and I used to think "Guitar" was overrated, but when I heard the 2018 remaster, I was blown away. And I just pretend Clapton was busy treating backstage staff respectfully somewhere else, so they got, I dunno, Jimmy Page.

Clapton was not yet the tool he later became in 1968. Just adding that to the mix.
Perhaps, but I'm more invested in disliking the smelly old racist. My own version of printing the legend.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 6:55pm
IkarisOne wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 4:57pm

Nothing too wrong with either of those but fine bass playing and a great middle 8 do not make it a good song.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the overrated George song for me. The acoustic version on Anthology is nice but the LP version is just overcooked, and has added Clapton.
Agreed re. "Something," and I used to think "Guitar" was overrated, but when I heard the 2018 remaster, I was blown away. And I just pretend Clapton was busy treating backstage staff respectfully somewhere else, so they got, I dunno, Jimmy Page.

Clapton was not yet the tool he later became in 1968. Just adding that to the mix.
Perhaps, but I'm more invested in disliking the smelly old racist. My own version of printing the legend.
Is he still a racist? Or is he forever tarnished because of his stupid drunken rant in the 70s? I know he was in a bad state when he unleashed his unforgivable hate filled rant. I'm sure it was around the time he learned that his sister was actually his mother and he went off the rails.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 6:16pm
I'm thinking about how this was one of my favorite Beatles songs until someone told it wasn't the Beatles, many, many years later.

That guitarist is hot shit. Awesome fuzztone.
That is great. Straight on my YouTube list.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

cowink, I heard the other Knickerbockers song on the radio this morning, "One Track Mind"
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Is he still a racist? Or is he forever tarnished because of his stupid drunken rant in the 70s? I know he was in a bad state when he unleashed his unforgivable hate filled rant. I'm sure it was around the time he learned that his sister was actually his mother and he went off the rails.
Yeah, interesting question. Can someone grow, change who they are, accept they were wrong and become a better person? I believe so I've seen it in others. That aside I find Clapton's music to mostly be boring. I used to dig Cream way back when, but haven't listened to that in like 40 years and really have little desire to revisit it at this point in my life.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I gather he's made half-assed apologies since then, blaming external stuff like drugs, but I have a hard time thinking that supporting Enoch Powell just came out of nowhere. If it were me, I'd be spending the rest of my life proving unambiguously that that asshole then wasn't the real me, or was no longer me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

It's not just the racist thing with Clapton, I generally just dislike everything about him.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 7:25pm
It's not just the racist thing with Clapton, I generally just dislike everything about him.
I like The Yardbirds, Cream and Bluesbreakers. Would those band's have been as good without him...yeah most probably. The Yardbirds had Back and Page so that's a definite.

Whenever I've seen him in interview or read anything he strikes me as arrogant. I know he has said he doesn't recognise that person who did the horrible rant. But like doc said I would have gone out of my way to prove I had a meltdown and make great strides in showing my remorse.

Generally I think he's a twat.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 4:26am
Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 7:25pm
I like The Yardbirds, Cream and Bluesbreakers. Would those band's have been as good without him...yeah most probably. The Yardbirds had Back and Page so that's a definite.

Whenever I've seen him in interview or read anything he strikes me as arrogant. I know he has said he doesn't recognise that person who did the horrible rant. But like doc said I would have gone out of my way to prove I had a meltdown and make great strides in showing my remorse.

Generally I think he's a twat.
I agree. He's always come across as very smug and quite honestly I find a lot of his music to be pretty boring. I could name a few Clapton songs I like, but probably not enough to fill out a mix tape. Plus, the guy is seemingly everywhere. We spent a weekend in Chicago this summer and visited Chess Records and there's a photo of Clapton with Buddy Guy and there's a photo of Clapton with Muddy Waters and there's a signed Clapton guitar and the next day we went and saw Jacob Dylan's "Echo in the Canyon" film and there's Clapton talking about how much he was influenced by the Laurel Canyon sound and there's Clapton performing a cover of the Buffalo Springfield's "Questions".
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 7:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I gather he's made half-assed apologies since then, blaming external stuff like drugs, but I have a hard time thinking that supporting Enoch Powell just came out of nowhere. If it were me, I'd be spending the rest of my life proving unambiguously that that asshole then wasn't the real me, or was no longer me.
Exactly. When I'm drunk, I become a little more socially confident. I don't become racist. I know his substance abuse issues went beyond just being drunk, but still, you don't go on rants like that unless you hold those feelings deep down. I don't think he has ever officially apologized. Plus, he also made a lot of money off a song which I felt exploited his son's death - a son he barely saw. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he donated those proceeds to charity or anything, which would have at least made it more palatable. He's trash.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 11:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Exactly. When I'm drunk, I become a little more socially confident. I don't become racist. I know his substance abuse issues went beyond just being drunk, but still, you don't go on rants like that unless you hold those feelings deep down. I don't think he has ever officially apologized. Plus, he also made a lot of money off a song which I felt exploited his son's death - a son he barely saw. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he donated those proceeds to charity or anything, which would have at least made it more palatable. He's trash.
As I recall when reading for my RAR lecture, a couple years later he gave an interview where he still praised Powell as a good Christian family man who didn't hate anyone, only cared deeply about Britain.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 11:55am
JennyB wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 11:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

As I recall when reading for my RAR lecture, a couple years later he gave an interview where he still praised Powell as a good Christian family man who didn't hate anyone, only cared deeply about Britain.
Gross
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

he also opposed labour's ban on fox hunting. absolutely fuck eric clapton as a person.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 12:16pm
he also opposed labour's ban on fox hunting. absolutely fuck eric clapton as a person.
Fucker!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Didn't he stop playing Tears in Heaven recently because "it didn't resonate with him any more" or some bollocks like that?