So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 4:23pm
cool, I saw the Zombies give a free summer show at the Santa Monica pier about 5 or 6 years ago. There were 1000s upon 1000s there, the word "free" brings out everyone.
They were really fantastic - maybe the best 60's band still touring.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20190928_095238.jpg
A whole week in the DC area where I missed several shows I wanted to attend and then I by chance went to Annapolis and wandered around into this. A good hour plus of just him and his electric guitar at full speed. Tremendous energy and fire. Great show.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20190928_124734.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 12:48pm
20190928_124734.jpg
Great stuff rev. I haven't seen him since he came over here with his Black Sheets of Rain album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 3:24pm
revbob wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 12:48pm
20190928_124734.jpg
Great stuff rev. I haven't seen him since he came over here with his Black Sheets of Rain album.
After a crappy week it was pretty awesome to go to something like this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Was it solo solo, or did he have a backing band?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 5:05pm
No band. Just him and his guitar. I saw Billy Bragg do this years ago which was also great.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 6:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
No band. Just him and his guitar. I saw Billy Bragg do this years ago which was also great.
There's something very cool about musicians who are up there all alone and generating a great racket and mood.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 6:55pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
There's something very cool about musicians who are up there all alone and generating a great racket and mood.
I was telling my brother (who is a musician and has written a few good tunes) about it and how I sort of dragged along two people who I was pretty sure would hate it and his response was :
"Solo acoustic lets the songs speak for themselves."

To which I explained no this was an electric set and still really powerful not just musically thru the force of his guitar and vocals but emotions as well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 8:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was telling my brother (who is a musician and has written a few good tunes) about it and how I sort of dragged along two people who I was pretty sure would hate it and his response was :

To which I explained no this was an electric set and still really powerful not just musically thru the force of his guitar and vocals but emotions as well.
There's a nakedness to it, a vulnerability. One person, limited noise support, nowhere to hide. Folkies understood that intimacy and trust, that greater equality with the audience.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 8:44pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

There's a nakedness to it, a vulnerability. One person, limited noise support, nowhere to hide. Folkies understood that intimacy and trust, that greater equality with the audience.
No acoustic guitar? Judas!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 5:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

No better symbolic moment to demonstrate how fans are assholes.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 6:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Agreed. That whole thing just makes me laugh. I'm sure the guy who shouted it out has long since felt embarrassed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 8:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 6:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Agreed. That whole thing just makes me laugh. I'm sure the guy who shouted it out has long since felt embarrassed.
The next lecture I'm working on (hopefully starting tomorrow) will be about the Beatles, Dylan, and fans. In essence, about how both artists invited and encouraged a lot of intellectual and psychological liberation to their listeners, but then a significant number of fans started to resist—they want that initial thrill to last forever, not for the artist to continue to explore. Basically, I'm ripping off Devin McKinney's Beatles book.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

I saw Massive Attack on Thursday night and realized just how much Banksy wishes he were The Clash. Total sensory overload. Extraordinarily loud. Plus, I'm pretty sure everyone who saw them is now a mind-controlled sleeper agent.

PS Epilepsy warning....