Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 6:47pm
Kory wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 6:43pm
My entry point was PiL. Before it was anyone else's!
PiL would be mine, too, but in a roundabout way. Album to Sex Pistols to Second Edition and This Is What You Want.
You're weird.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 6:47pm
Kory wrote:
PiL would be mine, too, but in a roundabout way. Album to Sex Pistols to Second Edition and This Is What You Want.
You're weird.
It was the 80s, man. We did everything roundabout back then. Because of Reagan and leg warmers and feeding Africa as long as Phil Collins would fly on the Concorde. The Challenger is in there somewhere, too.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Hey Inder, you see this?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
I never listened to a word you said.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Researching for a lecture on nuclear imagery in rock music, so of course this Frankee Goes to Holywüd (that's what it said on Heston's shirt, anyway) song has to be discussed. Serious respect to the UK consumer that this fucker was #1 for nine straight weeks. One of the last gasps of pop songs being both successful and politically dissenting.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 7:26pm

Researching for a lecture on nuclear imagery in rock music, so of course this Frankee Goes to Holywüd (that's what it said on Heston's shirt, anyway) song has to be discussed. Serious respect to the UK consumer that this fucker was #1 for nine straight weeks. One of the last gasps of pop songs being both successful and politically dissenting.
Helped by the fact that each week a new 12" mix was released.

Regards your later comment don't forget the Manic Street Preachers "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" and "The Masses Against the Classes".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

My favourite nuclear related song has to be Sh-Boom, first heard it as a kid without ever knowing the fascinating history behind it and the significance it had in the development of rock 'n roll. Then again, it was the Darts version i first heard, so you're not exactly thinking of nuclear holocaust when you listen to Den and the boys!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 11:07am
My favourite nuclear related song has to be Sh-Boom, first heard it as a kid without ever knowing the fascinating history behind it and the significance it had in the development of rock 'n roll. Then again, it was the Darts version i first heard, so you're not exactly thinking of nuclear holocaust when you listen to Den and the boys!
Wow! I didn't realize there was a connection there, but just found a paper online about it. Thanks muchly for the tip!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 11:25am
Low Down Low wrote:
Wow! I didn't realize there was a connection there, but just found a paper online about it. Thanks muchly for the tip!
I'd heard the song probably a 1000 times and never realised the connection either, was reading some book about the whole Bikini Atoll business a few years back and it seems that half of the US pretty much figured on being wiped out of existence imminently around the early-mid 1950s and hence a glut of songs on the subject with an eerily upbeat tone, as in might as well just enjoy time we've got left kind of thing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 11:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 11:25am
Low Down Low wrote:
I'd heard the song probably a 1000 times and never realised the connection either, was reading some book about the whole Bikini Atoll business a few years back and it seems that half of the US pretty much figured on being wiped out of existence imminently around the early-mid 1950s and hence a glut of songs on the subject with an eerily upbeat tone, as in might as well just enjoy time we've got left kind of thing.
There's an amazing number of atomic songs from the 1950s, mostly in the country music genre. It's not until the 80s that rock really catches up. I've been quite surprised that there isn't much literature exclusively focused on music and nuclear anxiety. My lecture's going to end up having a lot more historical context than discussion of music that I expected.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:17pm
There's an amazing number of atomic songs from the 1950s, mostly in the country music genre. It's not until the 80s that rock really catches up. I've been quite surprised that there isn't much literature exclusively focused on music and nuclear anxiety. My lecture's going to end up having a lot more historical context than discussion of music that I expected.
I assume you're familiar with the Bear Family box set on the subject: http://www.atomicplatters.com/box_set.php
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Flex wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I assume you're familiar with the Bear Family box set on the subject: http://www.atomicplatters.com/box_set.php
Great list of songs there. Off topic a little but cant help noticing one of my old favourites, the Golden Gate Quartet, in there who are said to have recorded the first rap song way back in the 1950s.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't have it, but I know of it. If you've never seen the documentary The Atomic Cafe, it's also got a few choice tunes.

edit: Fun fact: "Thirteen Men," by Ann-Margret, was originally the a-side of a single by Bill Haley and the Comets. The single flopped, but the b-side, "Rock Around the Clock," did okay several months later when it was re-released

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More nuclear (or at least apocalyptic) songs I'm revisiting: R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)." Damn but this is good. As much of a (stereotypical) Gen X anthem as any other, with its ironic amused stance towards apocalypse and joyfully manic namechecking of popular cultural texts and people. There's a lovely defiance to the "and I feel fine" addition. I'm powerless to stop the insane games of insane presidents and premiers, but you can't hurt me because I'm numb to it all. But I'm especially drawn to the backing vocal line, "Time I had some time alone." Is it a desire to escape the cultural sensory overload that the lyrics express, or is it ironic satisfaction with the idea of massive depopulation? Both? It's not my favourite R.E.M. song ("Harbourcoat"), but it is the more significant one.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 6:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 7:26pm

Helped by the fact that each week a new 12" mix was released.

Regards your later comment don't forget the Manic Street Preachers "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" and "The Masses Against the Classes".
To be fair, neither of those Manics songs entered the British consciousness like Two Tribes, especially the latter. The Manics were always high entries, then dropped like a stone. Frankie may have hammered the 12" mixes but that was a memorable song with a great message, and they would have sold shitloads regardless of different mixes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board