What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 10:05am
Heston wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 9:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 9:09am
This fabulous new EP by two of my musical heroes.
No lead vocal from Andy?
Track 3 "Got Me..." has a joint vocal. The rest have lead vocals from Robyn with Andy singing various back ups.

The tracks remind me of the 2nd Dukes album and Nonsuch.
Cheers, I will investigate further.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Empty, Hope and the Loss of It. Stumbled upon this newish post-hardcore band by accident. Never been keen on the vocal-cord-shredding yelling style, but otherwise I'm digging this.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/opt ... k-edition/

This is a really excellent comp so far, with a lot of stuff I've never heard before. My spiritual home. :approve:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 2:05pm

This is a really excellent comp so far, with a lot of stuff I've never heard before. My spiritual home. :approve:
Hello,

I just learned of this a few days ago. It does look really good. Does it live up to that billing?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 3:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 2:05pm

Hello,

I just learned of this a few days ago. It does look really good. Does it live up to that billing?
If you're into the weirder stuff from the post-punk period that leans more avant than pop, yeah. The kind of music that looked at punk and then said, Okay, where do we go from here?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Pretty cool rockabilly with cool female vox from the land of Flex.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

All this jazz.
Attachments
echo1_800x.jpg
echo1_800x.jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

While listening to that Optimism/Reject compilation, my ears were really attracted to a song by Normil Hawaiians, whom I'd never heard of. I learned that their limited recording life was just remastered and re-released, so I bought all three albums, and found vinyl rips of a few singles and an ep. They remind me a bit of A Certain Ratio (but better)—that sparse funk-oriented sound. There's also a certain Durutti Column feel in there, too.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 1:12pm
While listening to that Optimism/Reject compilation, my ears were really attracted to a song by Normil Hawaiians, whom I'd never heard of. I learned that their limited recording life was just remastered and re-released, so I bought all three albums, and found vinyl rips of a few singles and an ep. They remind me a bit of A Certain Ratio (but better)—that sparse funk-oriented sound. There's also a certain Durutti Column feel in there, too.
I can remember them on the Peel show many moons ago. They struck me at the time as a poor man's Gang of Four. Maybe they deserve another listen.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 1:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can remember them on the Peel show many moons ago. They struck me at the time as a poor man's Gang of Four. Maybe they deserve another listen.
Other than a couple songs, they aren't rock-oriented enough, I think, to be properly compared to Go4 or the Au Pairs. There was always enough pop sensibility within those groups that isn't here, even tho they share that funk sensibility. Spotify's got their three albums if you're curious. You'll probably be able to figure out better comparisons than my ACR and DC ones. There's another Factory band that I'm struggling to recall.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 1:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Other than a couple songs, they aren't rock-oriented enough, I think, to be properly compared to Go4 or the Au Pairs. There was always enough pop sensibility within those groups that isn't here, even tho they share that funk sensibility. Spotify's got their three albums if you're curious. You'll probably be able to figure out better comparisons than my ACR and DC ones. There's another Factory band that I'm struggling to recall.
I may check out further. They are on the list.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 2:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can also hook a brother up if need be. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 2:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 2:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can also hook a brother up if need be. :shifty:
Thanks for the offer appreciated mate. However I don't have a full internet connection to download stuff. I will most likely give 'em a go on Spotify. Cheers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Screaming Blue Messiahs - Gun Shy. It's been a while since I've listened to these guys. Give them a listen - you're overdue.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

That Optimism set reminded me of this for no apparent reason.