WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 8:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 7:33pm
I've gone the cloud route for now. Everything gets backed up. I'm a bit wary of the fact that the music is stored elsewhere. I eventually want to go the network attached storage route. I'm just not exactly sure how that tech works - though I think it is some sort of home based cloud storage.
A NAS is just a local storage unit of some sort unless it also backs up to the cloud. At this point cloud backup is absolutely the best/safest in terms of not losing your files. A NAS can be good but it depends on the drives are they spinning discs or SSD? SSD while generally more reliable has a lifetime for writing to them as do discs in that a spinning disc will fail at some point. All media also degrades over time.
My worry about the cloud is what happens if the company goes away? I use pCloud and I've been happy with their service - but if they would suddenly go dark - my files would be gone (I think). Also, as Flex pointed out - there is a monthly fee involved (in my case it is $9.99). My concern with backing everything up either on external drives or some sort of media is that it does degrade and it can break.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 9:00pm
revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 8:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 7:33pm
I've gone the cloud route for now. Everything gets backed up. I'm a bit wary of the fact that the music is stored elsewhere. I eventually want to go the network attached storage route. I'm just not exactly sure how that tech works - though I think it is some sort of home based cloud storage.
A NAS is just a local storage unit of some sort unless it also backs up to the cloud. At this point cloud backup is absolutely the best/safest in terms of not losing your files. A NAS can be good but it depends on the drives are they spinning discs or SSD? SSD while generally more reliable has a lifetime for writing to them as do discs in that a spinning disc will fail at some point. All media also degrades over time.
My worry about the cloud is what happens if the company goes away? I use pCloud and I've been happy with their service - but if they would suddenly go dark - my files would be gone (I think). Also, as Flex pointed out - there is a monthly fee involved (in my case it is $9.99). My concern with backing everything up either on external drives or some sort of media is that it does degrade and it can break.
I hear you and I dont use the cloud either I'm a cheap fuck. But if you go cloud you want to have a company that won't fold overnight. I still buy a lot of CDs myself but I also figure most things if I lose them can be reacquired.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 9:15pm
I still buy a lot of CDs myself but I also figure most things if I lose them can be reacquired.
I operate on that assumption, too. That is, I have stuff that I ripped a long time ago at a lower rate because of limited space. But I've slowly upgraded a lot of those albums with better quality rips thanks to kind anonymous souls out there.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 9:19pm
revbob wrote:
I still buy a lot of CDs myself but I also figure most things if I lose them can be reacquired.
I operate on that assumption, too. That is, I have stuff that I ripped a long time ago at a lower rate because of limited space. But I've slowly upgraded a lot of those albums with better quality rips thanks to kind anonymous souls out there.
I only listen to vinyl in a dumpster behind the hippest club in St. Louis (an oxymoron, I know) you heathens.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 9:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 9:19pm
revbob wrote:
I only listen to vinyl in a dumpster behind the hippest club in St. Louis (an oxymoron, I know) you heathens.
Why would a dumpster have its own dumpster? Zing!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I just brought a turntable up from the basement. We reconfigured the living/dining room into more of a great room - including some space for a small library and I thought it would be a nice fit. I was also inspired by our recent trip to Toronto as we visited a handful of used record shops and I rediscovered how much fun it is to browse the racks.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 10:45am
I just brought a turntable up from the basement. We reconfigured the living/dining room into more of a great room - including some space for a small library and I thought it would be a nice fit. I was also inspired by our recent trip to Toronto as we visited a handful of used record shops and I rediscovered how much fun it is to browse the racks.
It really is.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Sounds like someone's been bitten by the Chilliwack bug. Make sure your will is up to date.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
Sounds like someone's been bitten by the Chilliwack bug. Make sure your will is up to date.
I'm currently working on a complete Chilliwack LP collection... :mrgreen:

We went to a really cool shop in Orillia and the owner talked my ear off about Bruce Cockburn.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:28am
WestwayKid wrote:
It really is.
I hadn't done it for years...but we walked past shops in Cleveland and Toronto this summer and both times went inside and browsed. I picked up a nice version of the first BAD LP in Cleveland.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
I'm currently working on a complete Chilliwack LP collection... :mrgreen:

We went to a really cool shop in Orillia and the owner talked my ear off about Bruce Cockburn.
Bruce "Feelgood" Cockburn.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 7:54pm
Yeah, I should do that or at least go the DVD backup route. Cloud storage irritates me because I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee to store my music (on top of initial purchase plus paying for Internet). Of course, I'd rather have paid for that than lose a bunch of music, as I can attest.
Yeah, Backblaze is only $5 a month, which is worth it for me in case ALL of my physical storage gets damaged somehow.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 12:35pm
Flex wrote:
Yeah, I should do that or at least go the DVD backup route. Cloud storage irritates me because I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee to store my music (on top of initial purchase plus paying for Internet). Of course, I'd rather have paid for that than lose a bunch of music, as I can attest.
Yeah, Backblaze is only $5 a month, which is worth it for me in case ALL of my physical storage gets damaged somehow.
How do you like Backblaze? $5 seems like a pretty decent price. How much storage does that get you?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 1:09pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
How do you like Backblaze? $5 seems like a pretty decent price. How much storage does that get you?
It's unlimited cloud storage, but I can't speak to its actual value since I've never had to use it. It bills itself as a sort of armageddon backup that protects you against your entire computer getting destroyed. So I can't actually stream my music from it, but if my HD takes a dive, I can theoretically download the whole thing into a new computer.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 1:29pm
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 1:09pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
It's unlimited cloud storage, but I can't speak to its actual value since I've never had to use it. It bills itself as a sort of armageddon backup that protects you against your entire computer getting destroyed. So I can't actually stream my music from it, but if my HD takes a dive, I can theoretically download the whole thing into a new computer.
Thanks for the info. With pCloud - I'm able to stream my music - which is a really nice feature.