Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:57pm
Kory wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 6:39am
This is wild: It's expected that vinyl sales will be greater than compact discs for the first time since 1986. A curious thing that downloads/streaming not only killed the cd (understandable) but revived vinyl.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/vinyl-se ... 86-2545781
For a medium to be dead, wouldn't that have to mean that it's not produced anymore? I can still get any new album on CD, and this includes well-crafted deluxe remasters.
I’d say at this point it’s a more niche industry, but not completely dead. It will last as long as people are still willing to purchase just enough to keep it profitable.
I'll do my part. The only place I've seen it truly dead is in single and EP releases by electronic acts. Which makes sense.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:57pm
Kory wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 6:39am
This is wild: It's expected that vinyl sales will be greater than compact discs for the first time since 1986. A curious thing that downloads/streaming not only killed the cd (understandable) but revived vinyl.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/vinyl-se ... 86-2545781
For a medium to be dead, wouldn't that have to mean that it's not produced anymore? I can still get any new album on CD, and this includes well-crafted deluxe remasters.
Not absolutely killed, but losing its dominant status. Vinyl was never dead-dead, but it was understood to be an archaic format by the 90s. Already back in the mid-2000s, a lot of cd pressing plants had to convert to manufacturing dvd's to stay operational.
It's a little weird thinking of the CD as a dying format. I'll admit to getting most of my music via download or stream these days - but there was nothing quite like browsing the racks. It was fun going into a record store. It was fun looking for something and then getting a real charge when they had it in stock. I will still go into local record shops just to browse through the used vinyl. In fact, my son has recently taken up an interest in it. We'll tag team the bins (he generally knows what will grab my interest).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My primary external HD crapped out on me a month or so back, so pretty much any non-CD music I'd acquired over the last 2.5-3 years is gone (I have an older backup of stuff up to that point). Really sucks - lots of vinyl downloads and limited time releases that are going to be next to impossible to fully replace. Luckily, anything I actually own on a CD I still have in 1:1 quality. I'd been gravitating back to CD or CD + LP over download-only or LP + download for exactly this fear.

I get the convenience factor and such of downloads, but if you're a sufficiently obsessed music fan the relatively high chance of HD failure rate should make reliance on it unacceptable.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 1:30pm
My primary external HD crapped out on me a month or so back, so pretty much any non-CD music I'd acquired over the last 2.5-3 years is gone (I have an older backup of stuff up to that point). Really sucks - lots of vinyl downloads and limited time releases that are going to be next to impossible to fully replace. Luckily, anything I actually own on a CD I still have in 1:1 quality. I'd been gravitating back to CD or CD + LP over download-only or LP + download for exactly this fear.

I get the convenience factor and such of downloads, but if you're a sufficiently obsessed music fan the relatively high chance of HD failure rate should make reliance on it unacceptable.
I have 3 backups in different locations for just such an event. Have you looked into cloud services that back up your entire HD and any externals that are connected to it? I use Backblaze, though I can't speak to its value since I haven't had to actually use it yet.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:

I've had enough HD failures that now everything gets backed up on dvd-r's (now blu-rays). It's a lot of work at first, but then it's only every few months that enough stuff is acquired to burn and file away.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:

Sorry to hear this Flex. I have to say that hard drives suck. I've had loads fail over the years. It's the real reason I still buy CDs that and the fact I love having the artwork.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And now Bauhaus is getting back together (tho only for one show right now): http://www.brooklynvegan.com/bauhaus-re ... announced/

I wonder if David J playing shows with Murphy this past year has been a test to see whether the others could deal with him. And/or maybe his heart attack is reminding everyone of their mortality.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

An observation: I'm researching for a lecture on rock music and the Vietnam War, and I'm surprised how little it shows up in the various histories of music and the Sixties. I already knew how overblown and romanticized it's been built into popular memory—any Boomer-centric movie about the SIxties would indicate that people spent all their time protesting, get stoned, and listening to "For What It's Worth"—but there's scant evidence that rock music played much of a role in antiwar protest in the US. However, there's plenty of material about the importance of rock in Vietnam itself, both to keep dissent in check and to promote dissent. Still, it's notable how reframed popular memory has become on the subject.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I was having beers with a friend last night who was completely unaware that Rock Art and the Xray Style, Global A Go Go and Streetcore even existed.

Kind of cool to be able to hear that stuff again for the first time.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 3:08pm
I was having beers with a friend last night who was completely unaware that Rock Art and the Xray Style, Global A Go Go and Streetcore even existed.

How long did he serve in prison?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 6:56pm
revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 3:08pm

How long did he serve in prison?
He's an older dude and other than the Clash and the Specials he's into other types of music plus he spent a fair amount of time in China and rural Vermont so it would be pretty easy to miss such things.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 1:33pm
Flex wrote:

I have 3 backups in different locations for just such an event. Have you looked into cloud services that back up your entire HD and any externals that are connected to it? I use Backblaze, though I can't speak to its value since I haven't had to actually use it yet.
I've gone the cloud route for now. Everything gets backed up. I'm a bit wary of the fact that the music is stored elsewhere. I eventually want to go the network attached storage route. I'm just not exactly sure how that tech works - though I think it is some sort of home based cloud storage.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, I should do that or at least go the DVD backup route. Cloud storage irritates me because I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee to store my music (on top of initial purchase plus paying for Internet). Of course, I'd rather have paid for that than lose a bunch of music, as I can attest.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 7:33pm
I've gone the cloud route for now. Everything gets backed up. I'm a bit wary of the fact that the music is stored elsewhere. I eventually want to go the network attached storage route. I'm just not exactly sure how that tech works - though I think it is some sort of home based cloud storage.
A NAS is just a local storage unit of some sort unless it also backs up to the cloud. At this point cloud backup is absolutely the best/safest in terms of not losing your files. A NAS can be good but it depends on the drives are they spinning discs or SSD? SSD while generally more reliable has a lifetime for writing to them as do discs in that a spinning disc will fail at some point. All media also degrades over time.