What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"The Dog-End of a Day Gone By" is like heroin for me. Psychedelic, grinding guitar and a mesmerizing, overwhelming drum sound. Fuckin glorious.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Generally not a fan of glitchy electronica, with all those pops and clicks—it tends to induce a certain anxiety in me—but I do like Múm quite a bit. Can't say what they do differently that works for me, but nevertheless I dig this record.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

This album is king. 10 times better than their debut in my opinion. Such a great sound to it, nothing tinny, just hard, solid tunes. UnBiloTitled and Unstookie Titled are world class tracks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190903-210814_Deezer.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 7:53pm
"The Dog-End of a Day Gone By" is like heroin for me. Psychedelic, grinding guitar and a mesmerizing, overwhelming drum sound. Fuckin glorious.
Peach of a track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 4:11pm
This album is king. 10 times better than their debut in my opinion. Such a great sound to it, nothing tinny, just hard, solid tunes. UnBiloTitled and Unstookie Titled are world class tracks.
Very solid album... I like those first two Babyshambles ones a lot (and the first Dirty Pretty Things one despite it sounding like it was recorded in a toilet)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

oliver wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 4:52pm
BitterTom wrote:
Very solid album... I like those first two Babyshambles ones a lot (and the first Dirty Pretty Things one despite it sounding like it was recorded in a toilet)
Yeah.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just listened to the new Pixies album and can report, my friends, that it is not good. This is been the most "Frank Black"-like record they've done. None of the old Pixies charm anywhere.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 2:27pm
Just listened to the new Pixies album and can report, my friends, that it is not good. This is been the most "Frank Black"-like record they've done. None of the old Pixies charm anywhere.
No Kim, no Pixies as far as I'm concerned.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Tho that's not an uncommon view, I've never quite understood it. She's cool as fuck, but Black Francis wrote/writes the music and sings most of the songs, and its Joey Santiago's guitar sound that is the most distinctive to me. I scratch my head at what makes her irreplaceable.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 3:12pm
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Tho that's not an uncommon view, I've never quite understood it. She's cool as fuck, but Black Francis wrote/writes the music and sings most of the songs, and its Joey Santiago's guitar sound that is the most distinctive to me. I scratch my head at what makes her irreplaceable.
I agree. I've seen them twice in concert with her replacement, and, aside from the weirdness of someone else singing Gigantic, I really didn't notice much of a difference. And I LOVE Kim Deal.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

oliver wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 4:52pm
BitterTom wrote:
Accurate on the DPT album. Extremely so.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Big Deal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not entirely a musical thing... kind of like when Davo replaced Dan Donovan on the BAD re-union tour. I still loved them but it wasn't truly BAD for me. And there's an argument to be made that he at least improved the sound.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not entirely a musical thing... kind of like when Davo replaced Dan Donovan on the BAD re-union tour. I still loved them but it wasn't truly BAD for me. And there's an argument to be made that he at least improved the sound.
No, I understand that even if I don't experience it myself (at least not with Pixies). It's the idea of a group being a singular thing, not a collection of individuals.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I liked Frank Black's solo work and the Catholics stuff. I found it weird that he seemed to just stop making music in favor of touring endlessly with this Pixies cabaret. From 2004 on he seemed to just stop recording anything, until... this crap. All three records since the reformation have been boring as hell. You wonder what happened.