Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Here's an odd question that popped in my head while I was walking back from the grocery store: How long has your favourite song been your favourite song? And, if applicable, how many favourite songs have you had that have been displaced that you can recall?

For me, it's New Order's original release (the so-called 7" version) of "Ceremony," which I'd wager has been my favourite for about fifteen years, give or take a few years. Before that, dating back to the late 80s, it was Cocteau Twins' "Carolyn's Fingers," which is at #2. Before that, I'm not sure if I had one. I'd become obsessed with songs/groups, but actual durability? Not certain.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:39pm
Here's an odd question that popped in my head while I was walking back from the grocery store: How long has your favourite song been your favourite song? And, if applicable, how many favourite songs have you had that have been displaced that you can recall?

For me, it's New Order's original release (the so-called 7" version) of "Ceremony," which I'd wager has been my favourite for about fifteen years, give or take a few years. Before that, dating back to the late 80s, it was Cocteau Twins' "Carolyn's Fingers," which is at #2. Before that, I'm not sure if I had one. I'd become obsessed with songs/groups, but actual durability? Not certain.
Interesting! WMIHP has probably been my favorite song going on 25-30 years. Before that, it was Blasphemous Rumours since 8th grade. Before that, it was probably Like a Virgin or some shit. :)

Ceremony is such a great song. It's perfect in every way.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 3:24pm
Interesting! WMIHP has probably been my favorite song going on 25-30 years. Before that, it was Blasphemous Rumours since 8th grade. Before that, it was probably Like a Virgin or some shit. :)
That's had some staying power for you. That's kind of what I'm wondering. Do we reach a certain age and/or have a favourite song for a certain period of time so that there's pretty much no chance of us ever changing? Like, by the time you hit, say, 40 years old—that's it, your favourite song is permanent now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 3:43pm
JennyB wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 3:24pm
That's had some staying power for you. That's kind of what I'm wondering. Do we reach a certain age and/or have a favourite song for a certain period of time so that there's pretty much no chance of us ever changing? Like, by the time you hit, say, 40 years old—that's it, your favourite song is permanent now.
It maybe is because I'm just a creature of habit. Not sure!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I have favorite songs, and a favorite from each album but not a single all time favorite song. My first favorite was probably Black Sabbath's Iron Man. It is no longer my favorite but still a top 50 or less. I would never shut it off if it came on the radio.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I don't feel like I have individual songs but I do have favorite albums that haven't changed. J. Geils Band's Blow Your Face Out and the Clash's self-titled have been my favorites since I've heard them. Having said that, I don't listen to them all that much anymore as I keep looking for my new favorite album (I've got those two memorized already).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

If I have to name 1 song then it is WMIHP and has been for 41 years.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Complete Control and has been for about 35 years. Straight To Hell displaced it for 2 years in the late 2000s but it soon went back.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

White Man for 10 years then change of heart to Lost In The Supermarket a few years back.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 7:08pm
Same here. I was awestruck the first time I heard it, even though it got a hammering in one of the UK papers' reviews - maybe NME? But I was hooked. Before then I'd liked most of the punk singles which were coming out, still loved my Bowie, Mott, Faces and Who, but 'White Man' became stuck in my heart. Over 20 years later, at a Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros gig at Barrowlands, Glasgow, I thought it great that between songs some guys kept shouting, "1-2, 1-2-3-4" until the band eventually played the song right on cue. The guys turned out to be Heston and his mate!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

dave202 wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 9:51am
101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 7:08pm
Same here. I was awestruck the first time I heard it, even though it got a hammering in one of the UK papers' reviews - maybe NME? But I was hooked. Before then I'd liked most of the punk singles which were coming out, still loved my Bowie, Mott, Faces and Who, but 'White Man' became stuck in my heart. Over 20 years later, at a Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros gig at Barrowlands, Glasgow, I thought it great that between songs some guys kept shouting, "1-2, 1-2-3-4" until the band eventually played the song right on cue. The guys turned out to be Heston and his mate!
Ah, the only gig where I ever had to get oxygen off the St John's ambulance people at the side of the stage. Nearly 20 years ago now, unbelievable.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

See Emily Play.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I've been trying to think if I have a fave song. Fave bands and albums, for sure, but songs have always been a bit more rooted in time/place and subject to change. I suppose Know Your Rights - my intro to The Clash - is still as electrifying to me as when I first heard it coming out of my little bedroom stereo when I was pilfering through my dad's cassette collection (combat rock was hometaped on one side, can't remember what the second side was).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 12:25pm
I've been trying to think if I have a fave song. Fave bands and albums, for sure, but songs have always been a bit more rooted in time/place and subject to change. I suppose Know Your Rights - my intro to The Clash - is still as electrifying to me as when I first heard it coming out of my little bedroom stereo when I was pilfering through my dad's cassette collection (combat rock was hometaped on one side, can't remember what the second side was).
The best of the Dead. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 1:14pm
The best of the Dead. ;)
maybe!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!