Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 1:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 1:14pm
The last two PiL albums have some fine tunes on them.
Yeah, actually I thought the recent PiL stuff was probably a lot better than it had any right to be (which isn't to say "great" necessarily, but no embarrassments that I can think of).
That's where I'm at. Nothing that really stands out for me, but nothing wretched. Which is perfectly fine. I'm good with just enjoyable PiL records at this point.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm talking about him as a person, been a wanker for years now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:02pm
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 2:14pm
Heston wrote:
Unfortunately yes. Not sure when, but he crossed the line from curmudgeon to asshole.
Some of the old John still shines thru from time to time but yeah mostly asshole now.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I’d like to see who the real John Lydon is not the constant act he puts on. Or does he?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:25pm
I’d like to see who the real John Lydon is not the constant act he puts on. Or does he?
That's something he's said contributed to Sid's early death—he didn't understand that Sid Vicious was a public persona and that he didn't have to be him 24/7. Whether that means Lydon in private is more decent or not is something else, but he's certainly aware of personas and the importance of managing them.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:45pm
101Walterton wrote:
That's something he's said contributed to Sid's early death—he didn't understand that Sid Vicious was a public persona and that he didn't have to be him 24/7. Whether that means Lydon in private is more decent or not is something else, but he's certainly aware of personas and the importance of managing them.
Yes I don’t believe for one minute he behaves like he does at home. He should retire Rotten and speak as himself I am sure there would be some great insight.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yes I don’t believe for one minute he behaves like he does at home. He should retire Rotten and speak as himself I am sure there would be some great insight.
That's what pisses me off about him and also makes me sad for him too. At moments he can have clear insight when he's talking, genuine words. At other times he seems to "have to be" the Rotten guy and seems to have to say things in a "Rotten" way. That's like him being aware of the Sid Vicious problem but suffering from it too.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Interesting as I think Rotten as a persona didn't start until midway through PiL. Rotten in the Pistols never seemed to be an act to me and that's when he made most sense.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Reading Glen's book at the moment and it looks like that side of him was always there, even allowing for opposing personality types not realising when one was taking the piss out of the other.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 2:58am
Reading Glen's book at the moment and it looks like that side of him was always there, even allowing for opposing personality types not realising when one was taking the piss out of the other.
John didnt like Glen from day one. Glen tolerated John until the Pistols started to get their first slice of notoriety and then Glen claims it went to Johns head.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I think a lot of interviewers would say he crossed that line back at the beginning of PiL.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I think a lot of interviewers would say he crossed that line back at the beginning of PiL.
Speaking of asshole singers, last night I finished David J's Bauhaus memoir (mentioned above). Peter Murphy comes off as having some serious personality problems. He'd go from pleasant to deeply despondent and possibly suicidal to, as David J writes, Mr. Hyde. Totally belligerent to everyone around, massive chip on his shoulder, paranoid, treating the rest of the band as side men. Yet, J certainly doesn't deny his ability as a mesmerizing front man. But the psychological cost of being around him was so great that the rest of them nixed a world tour that would have made them all quite wealthy. If J is accurate, there's some psychological illness at work there.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 7:10pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Speaking of asshole singers, last night I finished David J's Bauhaus memoir (mentioned above). Peter Murphy comes off as having some serious personality problems. He'd go from pleasant to deeply despondent and possibly suicidal to, as David J writes, Mr. Hyde. Totally belligerent to everyone around, massive chip on his shoulder, paranoid, treating the rest of the band as side men. Yet, J certainly doesn't deny his ability as a mesmerizing front man. But the psychological cost of being around him was so great that the rest of them nixed a world tour that would have made them all quite wealthy. If J is accurate, there's some psychological illness at work there.
The recent reports of him throwing bottles at his audience would back this up.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 7:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 7:10pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The recent reports of him throwing bottles at his audience would back this up.
After I finished the book, I revisited an interview that a friend of mine conducted with PM around ten years ago, and he was utterly charming. It was done as a Skype because PM lives in Turkey, so my buddy sent me the video, and my memory was that he seemed in great humour, which is how the text read. It's hard not to think that there's something biochemical going on there.