Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 3:38pm
Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 3:37pm
BitterTom wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 3:32pm
Just me and Jen on our own. :meh:
With no one in a Rush to join you. Welcome to the lonely world of polls.
Tom is indeed your apprentice.
I'd be kicked off the scheme!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 3:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Even I never stooped to the depths of proclaiming love for the type of hideous power ballad that you have voted for. Even at my lowest point (probably KISS vs the Dolls) I had at least one person on my side.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:03pm
BitterTom wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Even I never stooped to the depths of proclaiming love for the type of hideous power ballad that you have voted for. Even at my lowest point (probably KISS vs the Dolls) I had at least one person on my side.
That was a Russian bot.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
IMCT has taught me to keep musical opinions to myself in my new job.

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:07pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

That was a Russian bot.
Matedog is human.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:08pm
IMCT has taught me to keep musical opinions to myself in my new job.
You do seem to have some strange taste in music, and believe me, that's probably not a compliment coming from me. ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:09pm
JennyB wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:07pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That was a Russian bot.
Matedog is human.
Technically.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Huey. The other two make my teeth hurt.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

It's weird that Jennifer Rush's song was the biggest selling single of the year in the UK in 1985 but hardly made an impression in the States. Especially when it fits almost every demographic for a huge US hit, and went to number one in almost every other country in the world. American singer, huge hair, massive AOR production, absolutely shit, all boxes ticked. These things always puzzle me. I know Celine Dion eventually had a hit in America with it but that was a few years later.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:34pm
It's weird that Jennifer Rush's song was the biggest selling single of the year in the UK in 1985 but hardly made an impression in the States. Especially when it fits almost every demographic for a huge US hit, and went to number one in almost every other country in the world. American singer, huge hair, massive AOR production, absolutely shit, all boxes ticked. These things always puzzle me. I know Celine Dion eventually had a hit in America with it but that was a few years later.
Read Fredric Dannen's Hit Men, about how payola worked in the 70s and 80s. It's possible that here record company just didn't apply the cash to the right people in the right places.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:37pm
Heston wrote:
Read Fredric Dannen's Hit Men, about how payola worked in the 70s and 80s. It's possible that here record company just didn't apply the cash to the right people in the right places.
Sometimes I don't want to see behind the Wizard of Oz's curtain, I want to believe what was presented to me back then. That every song got to where it got to on merit. Does sound an interesting book though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Sometimes I don't want to see behind the Wizard of Oz's curtain, I want to believe what was presented to me back then. That every song got to where it got to on merit. Does sound an interesting book though.
It's not a completely rigged game. People still buy records of their own free will. Even a heavily hyped song can bomb. But at the same time, if a record company doesn't grease the right palms because they believe it can be a hit, it stands little chance of getting airplay.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:54pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's not a completely rigged game. People still buy records of their own free will. Even a heavily hyped song can bomb. But at the same time, if a record company doesn't grease the right palms because they believe it can be a hit, it stands little chance of getting airplay.
I keep banging on about it but "Kissin' In the Back Row of the Movies" by the Drifters is always the one that puzzles me. That could have sold millions in America if all it took was a few palms to be greased. I'm still incredulous that it wasn't a hit over there, someone missed out on some big money.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:54pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I keep banging on about it but "Kissin' In the Back Row of the Movies" by the Drifters is always the one that puzzles me. That could have sold millions in America if all it took was a few palms to be greased. I'm still incredulous that it wasn't a hit over there, someone missed out on some big money.
On the other side of things, Dannen relates how the majors boycotted the pluggers—the middle men used to distribute payola—in the middle of the 80s because of costs and trying to assert control of the process. So the pluggers went to smaller, mostly UK labels. And the result was a summer of hits by unknowns like Johnny Hates Jazz, T'Pau, and Cutting Crew. Because they're labels took advantage of the situation. Even shitty songs can become a hit if that's all that's being promoted. And once the majors caved, we never heard from those bands again.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:32pm
And the result was a summer of hits by unknowns like Johnny Hates Jazz, T'Pau, and Cutting Crew. Even shitty songs can become a hit if that's all that's being promoted
Hey, don't knock Cutting Crew. Me and Tom love (I just Died) In Your Arms Tonight.