Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pete Jones' autobiography just showed up in the mail. Great blurb on the back: "He wasn't that good, but it helped …" - J. Lydon
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 11:41am
Pete Jones' autobiography just showed up in the mail. Great blurb on the back: "He wasn't that good, but it helped …" - J. Lydon
Sounds like John's sarcasm.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, I don't take it as anything more than him being amusingly cantankerous.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, I don't take it as anything more than him being amusingly cantankerous.
Yeah that's it. I know John has had some fantastic falling outs with ex PiL members through the years but I think he's always appreciated the musicianship.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

In that vein, I'm a huge fan of MacGowan's blurb on James Fearnley's memoir. "It's exactly how I imagine I'd remember it."

Very generous, that, as rumour has it that Shane felt that the author had been completely misunderstanding him for thirty years after reading it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:49pm
In that vein, I'm a huge fan of MacGowan's blurb on James Fearnley's memoir. "It's exactly how I imagine I'd remember it."
What a wonderful turn of phrase. Pithy and graceful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From David J's memoir, meeting Lydon at a club in the mid-90s.
A fan picked up on this suggestion and offered to buy John a drink.
‘Thanks, mate. I’ll ’ave two beers, and my brother will ’ave two ’n’ all.’
Another poor unfortunate sycophant appeared soon after.
‘John! John! I don’t mean to bug you but I’m your greatest fan!’
‘’Ello, greatest fan,’ Lydon replied, ‘goodbye, greatest fan, fuck off!’
With that, the poor fellow slumped off into the throng. The beers arrived, and we all clinked bottles with gusto, spilling the foaming brew all over the place.
I tugged at Lydon’s sodden lapel. ‘John,’ I began. ‘I’m not your greatest fan but’—again with that pop-eyed screw—‘I have to tell you, and I know you must get this all the time, but it’s fuckin’ true: you changed my life when I saw the Pistols at the 100 Club back in ’76. Without that, I wouldn’t be in a band right now. So, cheers!’
The former Johnny Rotten crooked his index finger, beckoning me to come close. With a degree of apprehension, I complied. He then planted a big wet smacker on my cheek. I grinned and repaid in kind. Mmmmmmmwah! Lydon shook up his bottle, spraying a torrent of beer over me, himself, and the crowd.
Love every part of this anecdote.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 7:52am
With that, the poor fellow slumped off into the throng. The beers arrived, and we all clinked bottles with gusto, spilling the foaming brew all over the place.
I tugged at Lydon’s sodden lapel. ‘John,’ I began. ‘I’m not your greatest fan but’—again with that pop-eyed screw—‘I have to tell you, and I know you must get this all the time, but it’s fuckin’ true: you changed my life when I saw the Pistols at the 100 Club back in ’76. Without that, I wouldn’t be in a band right now. So, cheers!’
The former Johnny Rotten crooked his index finger, beckoning me to come close. With a degree of apprehension, I complied. He then planted a big wet smacker on my cheek. I grinned and repaid in kind. Mmmmmmmwah! Lydon shook up his bottle, spraying a torrent of beer over me, himself, and the crowd.
Hah.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 8:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 7:52am
Hah.
It's hard not to at least like Lydon - despite his oftentimes boorish behavior. He truly is one of a kind and yes - despite not getting into the Pistols until well after they had split (they played the Winterland gig on my 1st birthday) - they did help chart my course when I was an angry, directionless young teenager.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 11:43am
It's hard not to at least like Lydon - despite his oftentimes boorish behavior. He truly is one of a kind and yes - despite not getting into the Pistols until well after they had split (they played the Winterland gig on my 1st birthday) - they did help chart my course when I was an angry, directionless young teenager.
No matter how much his views have changed (or at least how he's enunciating them) and I've changed, mostly going in opposite directions, the guy changed my life when I, too, was an angry, directionless young teenager. Gave me a healthier way of dealing with the anger and encouraged me to me more critical and curious. I'll still shit on him for his wretched views and behaviour, but it's mainly because of how instrumental he was to freeing my mind decades ago.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I haven't liked him for a lot of years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 12:05pm
Hasn't been my cup of tea since he failed to do a proper follow up to Psycho's Path. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 12:46pm
Heston wrote:
Hasn't been my cup of tea since he failed to do a proper follow up to Psycho's Path. :shifty:
Goddammit, Hoy … wait, Flex? Fucking hell.

Last genuinely solid thing he's done is "Open Up" with Leftfield. Over twenty years ago. So be it. He's got a couple eternal records to his name and a few really good ones, too.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 12:58pm
Flex wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 12:46pm
Heston wrote:
Goddammit, Hoy … wait, Flex? Fucking hell.

Last genuinely solid thing he's done is "Open Up" with Leftfield. Over twenty years ago. So be it. He's got a couple eternal records to his name and a few really good ones, too.
The last two PiL albums have some fine tunes on them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 1:14pm
The last two PiL albums have some fine tunes on them.
Yeah, actually I thought the recent PiL stuff was probably a lot better than it had any right to be (which isn't to say "great" necessarily, but no embarrassments that I can think of).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!