So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by gkbill »

Flex wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 10:14am
Saw the Stones at Broncos Stadium in Denver last night. Nathaniel Rateliff, who I've seen a few times now, opened. Great performances from both artists, the Stones definitely look like they're having a lot of fun on stage. Song mix was quite good, with the preponderance of tunes coming from that killer 67-73 timeframe. Technically, the latest album represented was Stripped with a cover of Like a Rolling Stone that the band and audience all got a real kick out of. A few long jams like when they played Midnight Rambler, so they weren't just going through the motions. A better set and performance than when I saw them at Desert Trip a few years ago, I reckon. Setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-roll ... f9630.html

Downside: I've never been to the stadium for a concert (or anything else) before and the sound mix was absolutely terrible. 3/4 of Rateliff's set was genuinely unlistenable until they made a few fixes and it became tolerable. Really too bad for him since he's so good (and he's a big name, so the audience was into his songs too). The Stones were marginally better but everything was slammed and distorted and the mixing was all off all night (I remember one time the camera panned to the sax player jamming out and you couldn't make the instrument out at all in the sound mix). I've been generally impressed with how good the sound is at arenas, outdoor festivals, etc. throughout my concert going life, but this was probably the worst sounding venue I've ever paid money to be in. Maybe it was better for the super rich down on the field, but us peasants got a lousy job at the mixing board.

Other minor grievances include: apparently in other tour stops the Stones worked with the venues to provide reusable cups that could be returned at the end of the night for a return on deposit. Not here! The stadium was hawking their $11 Broncos plastic cups and apparently didn't agree to do whatever it was the Stones arranged elsewhere. Nice to see the malignant Republican ownership of the NFL franchise blocking even a modest gesture towards reducing waste at the event. I also tried to get a (regular) cup of ice and was told it would cost $5, lol.

And finally, we had a little drama with security. We checked ahead of time for the written policies of what we could bring in and followed the website's instructions, which mirrored NFL policy. When we got there, security told is they were following a more restrictive policy and we had to throw away some stuff we had, take it back to the car (more than a 20 minute walk one way), or pay for a security locker (still a 10 minute walk one way away and a charge) and then go through the security line again. All that would have made us easily miss all of Rateliff and possibly the beginning of the Stones set. It was admittedly frustrating since we'd read all the rules (and I had them with me on my phone to show security!) Ahead of time specifically to do the right thing. It took asking for a supervisor and then manager to finally get someone who helped us stash the (apparently) verboten gear in a corner that we could pick up on the way out. Hate doing the "can we speak to a manager" thing, but that still only took a fraction of the time that leaving and reentering would have (or throwing away, I dunno, $40-$50 worth of umbrellas, binocular cases, random stuff like that). But I was probably more argumentative than I should have been, so I still feel kinda bad.

That said, I doubt the Stones are ever coming back to Colorado, and the quality of their performance was good enough to overcome the lousy venue, so worth it in the end. I'd be hard pressed to ever go see a concert at the Stadium ever again, but in the grand scheme of things the problems will fade and I'm glad for the great live music and a fun night out, so all good.
Hello,

I'm glad you enjoyed the show! I have't seen a stadium show in so long as I'm not sure I'd really enjoy it.

I'm also glad/appreciative you asked for the manager. It sounds like you were rational and had supporting evidence - rational arguments and evidence are what changes policy.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Cool Flexo!

I got my eyeballs on Stones tix for tomorrow. Yesterday the cheapest was $220, today it's $135, so I'm going to wait as long as I can. That's PLUS fees, though, so add $40 or $50 ea to that.
Last edited by tepista on 21 Aug 2019, 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
When we got there, security told is they were following a more restrictive policy and we had to throw away some stuff we had,
When I saw thh Misfits at the soccer stadium a few months ago (who knew we had a soccer stadium?) I buried my cigarettes and zippo in a pile of rocks and it was still there when I got out. I know better than to bring my zippo to show, duh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 7:52pm
Flex wrote:
When we got there, security told is they were following a more restrictive policy and we had to throw away some stuff we had,
When I saw thh Misfits at the soccer stadium a few months ago (who knew we had a soccer stadium?) I buried my cigarettes and zippo in a pile of rocks and it was still there when I got out. I know better than to bring my zippo to show, duh.
What does your lady do when she's sitting on your shoulders during the ballads?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 8:35pm
tepista wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 7:52pm
Flex wrote:
What does your lady do when she's sitting on your shoulders during the ballads?
I guess "Come Back" would be the Misfits ballad?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Should I go see Adam Ant on September 6th?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 9:48am
Is he giving a concert or is this a stalker question?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
He's here on the 4th. I thought about it - but ticket prices are a bit more than I'd want to pay to see Mr. Ant.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 10:27am
JennyB wrote:
Can't it be both?

Just kidding. Concert.
Got a Rake? Sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 11:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Can't it be both?

Just kidding. Concert.
Yes, I've seen him 5 or 6 times over the last 5 years, he's fantastic. However, I was skipping this year because he was gonna do Friend or Foe in its entirety, not my fave record.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 11:40am
JennyB wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 11:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Can't it be both?

Just kidding. Concert.
Yes, I've seen him 5 or 6 times over the last 5 years, he's fantastic. However, I was skipping this year because he was gonna do Friend or Foe in its entirety, not my fave record.
I was most looking for your input. I will talk to VH!
Got a Rake? Sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

i didnt go.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 5:46pm
i didnt go.
They played some songs.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 6:03pm
tepista wrote:
i didnt go.
They played some songs.
So...a friend of mine posts a photo of the stage and captions it "It's no hanging matter, it's no capitol crime" but today I checked the setlist and they did NOT perform Stary Cat Blues. Irresponsible post from my friend, right?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 6:05pm
revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 6:03pm
tepista wrote:
i didnt go.
They played some songs.
So...a friend of mine posts a photo of the stage and captions it "It's no hanging matter, it's no capitol crime" but today I checked the setlist and they did NOT perform Stary Cat Blues. Irresponsible post from my friend, right?
Do they still play that? Did they update the lyrics to something like.

I can see that you're fifty years old
No I don't want your I.D.