The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:29pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

One of my older sisters had the 45 of this, so it was one of the first rock n roll records I ever heard. The version in your video is different than the version I grew up with (but has extra foxiness). This is the one I know:
Yeah, the version in the video I posted was new to me as well, but as you say, quite foxy. That video used to always be on the all night video channel I used to watch in the 90s but it had the original audio you speak of. It was the same video channel I was watching when I first cracked the Starship Code.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:29pm
Heston wrote:

One of my older sisters had the 45 of this, so it was one of the first rock n roll records I ever heard. The version in your video is different than the version I grew up with (but has extra foxiness). This is the one I know:
Yeah, the version in the video I posted was new to me as well, but as you say, quite foxy. That video used to always be on the all night video channel I used to watch in the 90s but it had the original audio you speak of. It was the same video channel I was watching when I first cracked the Starship Code.
A number of us have speculated that crack was involved.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:

Rick Derringer became such a tool.

And the lack of a bra makes that video special.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 7:21pm
Heston wrote:

Rick Derringer became such a tool.
Yeah, I never realised it was him until I googled them earlier.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm

This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
Totally brilliant. The fact radio plays Love Shack but ignores this says all you need to know about the insanity of this world.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Totally brilliant. The fact radio plays Love Shack but ignores this says all you need to know about the insanity of this world.
Fuck do I hate "Love Shack." I mean, I'm glad it made the band a bunch of cash, but I can't stand hearing it. I just assume the universe is cleverly transferring funds to the "Rock Lobster" account.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Also, bonus, it ANNOYS THE FUCK out of anyone not into its mad surf party mutant vibe.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't really like this band, but this song is objectively good.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Everything up to and including Whammy! is superb, then, perhaps coincidentally after Ricky Wilson died, it gets really sketchy. Their first album was postmodern retro kitsch before anyone was able to categorize it. As vital an album as any other in that brilliant year 1979.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:20pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Everything up to and including Whammy! is superb, then, perhaps coincidentally after Ricky Wilson died, it gets really sketchy. Their first album was postmodern retro kitsch before anyone was able to categorize it. As vital an album as any other in that brilliant year 1979.
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.
RL is archetypal B-52's tho "Planet Claire" is almost its equal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I lean towards this but I honestly haven't really delved into their catalog much. I tend to think of them as the musical wing of John Waters.