The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32975
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:29pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

One of my older sisters had the 45 of this, so it was one of the first rock n roll records I ever heard. The version in your video is different than the version I grew up with (but has extra foxiness). This is the one I know:
Yeah, the version in the video I posted was new to me as well, but as you say, quite foxy. That video used to always be on the all night video channel I used to watch in the 90s but it had the original audio you speak of. It was the same video channel I was watching when I first cracked the Starship Code.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88034
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:29pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

One of my older sisters had the 45 of this, so it was one of the first rock n roll records I ever heard. The version in your video is different than the version I grew up with (but has extra foxiness). This is the one I know:
Yeah, the version in the video I posted was new to me as well, but as you say, quite foxy. That video used to always be on the all night video channel I used to watch in the 90s but it had the original audio you speak of. It was the same video channel I was watching when I first cracked the Starship Code.
A number of us have speculated that crack was involved.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12005
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

Rick Derringer became such a tool.

And the lack of a bra makes that video special.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32975
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 7:21pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 6:24pm
It's a lip-synch but a great video. Always puts a spring in my step this one...

Rick Derringer became such a tool.
Yeah, I never realised it was him until I googled them earlier.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88034
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »



This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32975
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
Totally brilliant. The fact radio plays Love Shack but ignores this says all you need to know about the insanity of this world.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88034
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
Totally brilliant. The fact radio plays Love Shack but ignores this says all you need to know about the insanity of this world.
Fuck do I hate "Love Shack." I mean, I'm glad it made the band a bunch of cash, but I can't stand hearing it. I just assume the universe is cleverly transferring funds to the "Rock Lobster" account.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15676
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Silent Majority »

Also, bonus, it ANNOYS THE FUCK out of anyone not into its mad surf party mutant vibe.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12118
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
I don't really like this band, but this song is objectively good.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88034
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
I don't really like this band, but this song is objectively good.
Everything up to and including Whammy! is superb, then, perhaps coincidentally after Ricky Wilson died, it gets really sketchy. Their first album was postmodern retro kitsch before anyone was able to categorize it. As vital an album as any other in that brilliant year 1979.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12118
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:20pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 6:35pm


This isn't my favourite song of all time, but, hand on heart, when it's playing I can't think of anything better. It's one of those songs where I stray into Greil Marcus cosmic hyperbole mode.
I don't really like this band, but this song is objectively good.
Everything up to and including Whammy! is superb, then, perhaps coincidentally after Ricky Wilson died, it gets really sketchy. Their first album was postmodern retro kitsch before anyone was able to categorize it. As vital an album as any other in that brilliant year 1979.
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88034
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 32975
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88034
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.
RL is archetypal B-52's tho "Planet Claire" is almost its equal.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12005
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 7:22pm
I suppose it's probably the kitsch factor that turns me away. It's not a quality that I generally am attracted to.
Generally speaking I agree with you, mainly because kitsch is too often applied in a dumb joke kind of way rather than a bewildering and intriguing raid-on-the-past manner. Like the difference between nostalgia and history.
I think everything great about the B-52s was distilled into that song. I like some of their other tunes but it was a one shot deal.
I lean towards this but I honestly haven't really delved into their catalog much. I tend to think of them as the musical wing of John Waters.

Post Reply