Today I learned …

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Today I learned …

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:41pm
Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:54pm
Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:49pm
Must've played hooky on that day.
Fine, have a nut.
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.
Palangi
White Scum?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 7:00am
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:54pm

Fine, have a nut.
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.
Palangi
White Scum?
White Yum.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Olaf wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 5:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 7:00am
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.
Palangi
White Scum?
White Yum.
Can’t it be both?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Today I learned about the Canadian Indian residential school system. It was pretty shitty and went on until 1996! I'm staying in Toronto and the First Nations people had an event all weekend in honor of the people who survived this. It was damn solemn.
Responsible for separating Indigenous children from their families and communities, this process was found by the TRC to be cultural genocide, a conclusion that echoed the words of historian John S. Milloy, who argued that the system's aim was to "kill the Indian in the child". As the system was designed as an immersion program, Indigenous children were in many schools prohibited from, and sometimes punished for, speaking their own languages or practicing their own faiths. The primary stated goal was to convert Indigenous children to Christianity and to civilize them.
Super! People are pretty disgraceful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 8:39pm
Today I learned about the Canadian Indian residential school system. It was pretty shitty and went on until 1996! I'm staying in Toronto and the First Nations people had an event all weekend in honor of the people who survived this. It was damn solemn.
Responsible for separating Indigenous children from their families and communities, this process was found by the TRC to be cultural genocide, a conclusion that echoed the words of historian John S. Milloy, who argued that the system's aim was to "kill the Indian in the child". As the system was designed as an immersion program, Indigenous children were in many schools prohibited from, and sometimes punished for, speaking their own languages or practicing their own faiths. The primary stated goal was to convert Indigenous children to Christianity and to civilize them.
And yet you still have people—predominantly on the right—who say it wasn't that bad and/or the price of “civilizing the savages.” The US, however, had the same idea with boarding schools (the Boss says they were the inspiration for the residential school here). But it's proof of the essential white supremacist foundation of this country … which is why it's denied by the most committed racists.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 9:21pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
And yet you still have people—predominantly on the right—who say it wasn't that bad and/or the price of “civilizing the savages.” The US, however, had the same idea with boarding schools (the Boss says they were the inspiration for the residential school here). But it's proof of the essential white supremacist foundation of this country … which is why it's denied by the most committed racists.
Yeah the English did the same in Australia too.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
We had them here in the US, too. The Carlisle school is probably the most infamous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_ ... ial_School

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 7:57am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
We had them here in the US, too. The Carlisle school is probably the most infamous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_ ... ial_School
That was the one that largely inspired Canada's res school program. As many people have observed before, it's amazing that indigenous and black people just want fair treatment today, not to murder every damned white person as payment for past crimes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:09am
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
That was the one that largely inspired Canada's res school program. As many people have observed before, it's amazing that indigenous and black people just want fair treatment today, not to murder every damned white person as payment for past crimes.
Fair treatment, honor the treaties...or just leave.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Treaties signed out of desperation and were massively advantageous to the colonial powers, yet they still couldn't live up to their end of the deal. Okay, you can live here rent-free but all I ask is that you water the plants once a week and put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Fuck you, you can take me to court if you think I'm going to have to water your fucking plants.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:43am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Treaties signed out of desperation and were massively advantageous to the colonial powers, yet they still couldn't live up to their end of the deal. Okay, you can live here rent-free but all I ask is that you water the plants once a week and put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Fuck you, you can take me to court if you think I'm going to have to water your fucking plants.
The other issues with treaties (as is the case with the Waitangi Treaty in NZ) is the interpretation / translation of the 2 languages which necessarily mean the same things.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:43am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

The other issues with treaties (as is the case with the Waitangi Treaty in NZ) is the interpretation / translation of the 2 languages which necessarily mean the same things.
And, at least until recently, the courts' habit of rejecting the indigenous signees' interpretation of what the treaties meant.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 9:21pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Jesus.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I always knew that Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys took guitar lessons as a kid from another neighborhood kid named John Maus...but just today I made the connection that John Maus was John Walker. He took "Walker" as his stage name because he was tired of people mispronouncing his last name - making him the "original" Walker Brother.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

… in 1982 G. Gordon Liddy and Timothy Leary went on a speaking tour together. The target audience for that would be … mixed.