IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Shoegazing Thread

Post by IkarisOne »

Kory wrote:
01 May 2019, 7:28pm
IkarisOne wrote:
01 May 2019, 6:19pm
Bands today have better technology to work with plus a larger body of inspiration to draw on. OG Gazers were making it all up as they went along so the songwriting was never as good as it should have been. The Cocteau Twins are really a phenomenon unto themselves and IMO the only band that approached their batting average writing-wise was Lush.

I met Miki Berenyi back on Lush's first US tour and she was so gorgeous and so charismatic it made you swoon. But in a live setting you realized she wasn't a very good singer.
I would add Slowdive to the list of good songwriters, but I like Lush too. Have you checked out Miki's new band Piroshka yet?
I haven't. I should. I interacted a couple times with Miki on Twitter and she's still a sweetheart. I think Split is one of the best albums of the 90s. But I also love how the Twins gave Lush a brushback pitch with "Smile." A bit of the old "don't forget who created this genre, dearies."

I like Slowdive very much but they get by more on the sound than melody per se.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

The Grail of 'Gaze, the Ur Text of Ethereal Wave, the Domesday Book of Dreampop.

https://mega.nz/#!gDpmma4R!Z2fMoLt2Qe-j ... FoHm2-dnLo

A++ recording, mind-boggling performance. Full show.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Little help? Hartfield was a Japanese shoegaze/dreampop band (okay, nothing spectacular). There's that weird little effect at 26 seconds in (and repeated throughout). I'm sure that's been sampled from somewhere but I can't identify it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The band sounds good, but I was not a fan of scatting EF.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 7:02pm

Wasn't she always scatting?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 7:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, sort of, with her made-up words and all, but live she seemed to abandon all melody for scatting. I recall Robin and Simon bemoaning her habit of sounding like a wounded dolphin.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 7:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, sort of, with her made-up words and all, but live she seemed to abandon all melody for scatting. I recall Robin and Simon bemoaning her habit of sounding like a wounded dolphin.
This doesn't auger well for my seeing her with Massive Attack in September.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 7:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wouldn't worry. I've got a boot of a show she did five or six years ago and she was more "normal." I wonder if her approach in the latter years of the Cocteaus was reflective of her unhappiness.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 7:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wouldn't worry. I've got a boot of a show she did five or six years ago and she was more "normal." I wonder if her approach in the latter years of the Cocteaus was reflective of her unhappiness.
That must have been no fun for anybody.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 7:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah, a former couple in a band, one a raging control freak and the other an emotionally damaged person. As much as I'd love for them to have gone on, for the health of all involved it was best for the them to quit.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Kory wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 7:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Liz was in terrible shape on that tour. She was hospitalized before the tour and hospitalized after. In the trauma ward.

The ridiculous amounts of drugs they were all taking at the time didn't help. Robin was visibly smacked out of his head on TV interviews. The band were at their all-time peak as a live unit two years later.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Been checking this album out, pretty good dreampop, a little more on the unique side.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 7:25pm
Been checking this album out, pretty good dreampop, a little more on the unique side.

Well, you didn't steer me wrong when you told me to invest in barley futures, so I'll give this a shot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Doc, are you a fan of these guys? The remaster just came out and destroys the original CD master.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 4:38pm
Doc, are you a fan of these guys? The remaster just came out and destroys the original CD master.

GODDAMN IT ACKNOWLEDGE MY GEODE