A Language Question For The Linguists

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 6:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 2:37pm
End of year exam season his for school kids and as usual there is controversy.
It was in a Level 2 History exam. Level 2 would be equivalent of 1st year of A Levels in UK ( lower 6th year- penultimate school year).
The main essay question involved the word ‘trivial’ but apparently most kids did not know what trivial meant and thought it was the exact opposite of what it actually means (as that is the way the corriculum was taught.
So the essays will be marked whichever way the essay was written :huh:
Wait, what? Is there some other accepted definition of trivial?
Sorry no that is my bad grammar. What I meant to say was the corriculum was taught to focus on the important issues but the exam question was about the trivial issues(the reverse of the way it was taught).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Nov 2018, 1:32am
revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 6:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 2:37pm
End of year exam season his for school kids and as usual there is controversy.
It was in a Level 2 History exam. Level 2 would be equivalent of 1st year of A Levels in UK ( lower 6th year- penultimate school year).
The main essay question involved the word ‘trivial’ but apparently most kids did not know what trivial meant and thought it was the exact opposite of what it actually means (as that is the way the corriculum was taught.
So the essays will be marked whichever way the essay was written :huh:
Wait, what? Is there some other accepted definition of trivial?
Sorry no that is my bad grammar. What I meant to say was the corriculum was taught to focus on the important issues but the exam question was about the trivial issues(the reverse of the way it was taught).
By the way grammar boy it's "curriculum" not "corriculum". I know it's just a trivial thing. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 1:53pm
Shit joke

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 1:53pm
Shit joke
*snicker* Okay, that's a decent pun.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A friend from Saskatchewan just asked me if I knew what the term "booter" or "get a booter" means. As far as I knew it's a Western Canadian term, but I'm curious if anyone here knows what it means.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:08am
A friend from Saskatchewan just asked me if I knew what the term "booter" or "get a booter" means. As far as I knew it's a Western Canadian term, but I'm curious if anyone here knows what it means.
No idea!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:08am
No idea!
I should add that, apart from maybe any Canadians, people like Westway or Spiff would be decent bets to know the term.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Not a clue.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm gonna guess a beer.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 1:41pm
I'm gonna guess a beer.
What's James heading to the fridge for now?
Carnac.jpg
Carnac.jpg (22.27 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, the answer:

A booter mainly happens in spring, but sometimes winter, when you're wearing rubber boots and end up soaking your feet. It's mainly little kids, maybe walking on thin ice, falling thru into a puddle, and the water overflows. It was sometimes a good tactic to get sent home. Get a booter during recess, have to go home for dry socks. I still use the term even when wearing shoes and I step into a puddle.

To really get a sense of its usage, think about any of the yokels from Fargo saying it. Ya, I was walking to Lindgren's and got a booter when I stepped off the curb.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 2:24pm
Okay, the answer:

A booter mainly happens in spring, but sometimes winter, when you're wearing rubber boots and end up soaking your feet. It's mainly little kids, maybe walking on thin ice, falling thru into a puddle, and the water overflows. It was sometimes a good tactic to get sent home. Get a booter during recess, have to go home for dry socks. I still use the term even when wearing shoes and I step into a puddle.

To really get a sense of its usage, think about any of the yokels from Fargo saying it. Ya, I was walking to Lindgren's and got a booter when I stepped off the curb.
Funny, it really sounds like something the Limeys would come up with.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Okay, the answer:

Then it would involve biscuits and colonialism.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 4:00pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Okay, the answer:

Then it would involve biscuits and colonialism.
Yeah but there biscuits are cookies and crumpets are biscuits. And colonialism is divine.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc