Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 10:05am
Our aquarium (which has been housing our betta, Finny and nerite snail, Gordon) now has pest snails. I got a live aquatic plant that was supposed to be snail free, but I have since learned that one can never be guaranteed snail free (damn you, capitalism!). Right now, they are tiny, but I fear the tank will soon be overrun with them.

Anyone like escargot? :shifty:
I wasn't aware that could be a problem. So is the solution just to keep scooping 'em out once they get big enough to be noticed?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 10:15am
JennyB wrote:
Our aquarium (which has been housing our betta, Finny and nerite snail, Gordon) now has pest snails. I got a live aquatic plant that was supposed to be snail free, but I have since learned that one can never be guaranteed snail free (damn you, capitalism!). Right now, they are tiny, but I fear the tank will soon be overrun with them.

I wasn't aware that could be a problem. So is the solution just to keep scooping 'em out once they get big enough to be noticed?
Welllllll...here's the thing. You have to kill them. You can't just flush them or set them free, because they are considered invasive. And guess who can't bring herself to kill them. I'm not trying to be a sanctimonious PETA type - I'm a carnivore - I just have a hard time killing things myself. I don't crush bugs, I put them on a piece of paper and let them outside. So I think this will have to be a job for VH. And he will have to do it without me knowing. :)
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 10:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Welllllll...here's the thing. You have to kill them. You can't just flush them or set them free, because they are considered invasive. And guess who can't bring herself to kill them. I'm not trying to be a sanctimonious PETA type - I'm a carnivore - I just have a hard time killing things myself. I don't crush bugs, I put them on a piece of paper and let them outside. So I think this will have to be a job for VH. And he will have to do it without me knowing. :)
I feel ya'. I would also have a hard time killing them myself. I also rescue bugs and the like. It makes me feel sad. I'm always mindful of the fact that we're sharing this world with the rest of creation. I won't kill a spider simply because it's in my house - I'll just take it outside.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 11:10am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I feel ya'. I would also have a hard time killing them myself. I also rescue bugs and the like. It makes me feel sad. I'm always mindful of the fact that we're sharing this world with the rest of creation. I won't kill a spider simply because it's in my house - I'll just take it outside.
Mosquitoes are the only bug that I kill without hesitation (no, wait, also wood lice). Ants and spiders and wasps all get secured and delivered outside.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 11:31am
WestwayKid wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Mosquitoes are the only bug that I kill without hesitation (no, wait, also wood lice). Ants and spiders and wasps all get secured and delivered outside.
I will slap a mosquito if it's on my person, but then and only then. I like to encourage the dragonfly population. They are pretty and they eat those shitheads. Bats, too. I love those damn sky puppies.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 12:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I will slap a mosquito if it's on my person, but then and only then. I like to encourage the dragonfly population. They are pretty and they eat those shitheads. Bats, too. I love those damn sky puppies.
We've looked into buying or building a place for bats to roost in our backyard, but haven't had too much luck.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 12:20pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
JennyB wrote:

We've looked into buying or building a place for bats to roost in our backyard, but haven't had too much luck.
Same! Sometimes I think we share a brain, Doc.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 12:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm tellin' ya, we would have hung out in high school.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 12:37pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

We would have sat on the smoker's hill and made fun of all the jocks.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 12:37pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

We would have sat on the smoker's hill and made fun of all the jocks.
I'd bet decent money that a third of the people I hung out with in high school are either dead or have criminal records.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Someone has to call their band The Sky Puppies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

My wife had a pet story in the Globe today.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2 ... story.html

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Lately, I've been wiping a damp paper towel over my cat's fur, and they love it. Not sure if it's because it's hotter than a mofo or if it mimics mom's tongue or what. Licorice loves it which is unusual as she hates to get that intense level of grooming.