movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 9:00pm
Kory wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 2:02pm
tepista wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 2:46am
Scanners (1981) A powerful renegade telepath (Michael Ironside) is out to kill corporate telepaths. An outsider telepath tries to help and uncovers conspiracies. Not my favorite Cronenberg movie, in fact, despite having seen this probably twice over the decades I remembered exactly zero from this movie, with the exception of arguably the greatest head explosion in cinema history. There were some fantastic make-up FX in the climactic scene, but none of Cronenberg’s signature perverted sex.
It doesn't help that Stephen Lack is a terrible actor.
More like Stephen Lacks TALENT! burn.
WHOA
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I had a hankering for Clue. Tim Curry is a gem.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Mimi wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 6:26pm
I had a hankering for Clue. Tim Curry is a gem.
Just watched this last weekend with the lady and the mother in law. I think the latter actually enjoyed it more than the former.

What a film.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Don’t Go in the House (1979) Donny is a pyromaniac who has conversations with his dead mother a la Norman Bates and lures young women to his home where he torches them with a flamethrower in a metal-lined room that he constructed. His co-worker seems to care a great deal about him, despite Donny never showing an ounce of care, personality, or humanity. He even get invited on a double date…and yeah, it goes up in flames! This was one of the original Video Nasties, though I thought I recalled it being a bit nastier when I saw it many years ago. The version currently on Amazon Prime might contain some mild edits, but I can’t be sure.

Cellar Dweller (1988) Whitney gets accepted into a school for gifted artists, that happens to take place in the former home of her favorite horror comic author, whose life ended in a notorious murder/suicide. Of course we know that the murders were really committed by the demon who came out of the artist’s pages! Now that Whitney is attempting to recreate the comic, the demon returns for more killings. Jeffrey Combs plays the artist in the opening scene, wearing a labcoat. Do comic artists wear labcoats, or were they trying to remind us that he’s also Herbert West? The movie was littered with Stuart Gordon posters anyway, being produced by Empire. Directed by John Carl Buechler, who is mostly known for FX, and the first screenplay credit for Don Mancini (under a fake name) who of course is the father of Chucky. Fair amount of blood and fair amount of boobs, fun watch.

Dr. Alien (1989) Billy is a high school nerd who suddenly becomes irresistible to women when he’s given an experimental dose by his mysterious, new, sexy biology teacher (Judy Landers, who you would recognize if you had a TV in the 70s). Mediocre time-waster from prolific B-Movie director David DeCoteau, but absolutely LOADED with nudity, including Michelle Bauer, Linnea Quigley and Ginger Lynn Allen to name a few.

The Possession of Hannah Grace (2018) A pretty graveyard shift mortician used to be a pretty cop, so when a mangled up body comes in her former cop instincts take over, leading her to open the drawer about a dozen times. The corpse does get out, does harm to others, and this sort of repairs it. The movie has all the basic contortion you’d see in a possession movie, and the corpse’s power are not very subtle, as in it will telepathically fling you across the room. Go with Autopsy of Jane Doe instead if you want a really creepy corpse-that-does-unexplainable-things movie.

Killer Workout aka Aerobi-Cide (1987) Rhonda’s Workout gym suddenly becomes the site of a daily murder, but that doesn’t keep the doors from staying open. Every scene seems to be reset with gratuitous close-ups of boobs and skinny butts in an aerobics class. Remember, skinny butts were in back then! Plenty of nudity and kills, this one is a lot of fun. Don’t expect much, just let it happen.

Murder Weapon (1989) Linnea Quigley and Karen Russell are rich girls who throw a party that the boys are dying to attend…get it? Edited in are the girls long boring conversations with psychiatrists (including Wonder Woman’s Lyle Waggoner, who gets top billed for about 15 minutes of screen time). Prolific B Movie director David DeCoteau does this one under a fake name. Lots of gore, and both girls undress constantly, but the best part is that one of the guys is Eric “Garbage Day” Freeman, himself! The film’s title and poster would have you believe it’s an action film, nope, horror all the way, albeit bad.

When a Stranger Calls Back (1993) Cutie-pie Jill Schoelen has a “Joan Jett” look going on in this one. She’s a co-ed who call the cops when it appears her apartment has tampered with, having been traumatized when she lost some kids as a babysitter five years prior. Carol Kane went through the same experience in the original film, she reprises her role as a school counselor who calls on old friend, retired cop Charles Durning, who reprises his role as well. Fred Walton returns to write and direct the sequel to his 1979 classic, which has much more of a thriller feel than horror, and just like the original, this one has a strong start and a strong finish.

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) Kat and Rose are two Catholic Boarding School students whose parents don't pick them up for winter break, for very different reasons. Rose intentionally misinforms her parents so she can sneak out at night, while the younger Kat believes her parents have been killed in an auto accident, as she had a premonition in a dream. Meanwhile, a young woman (Emma Roberts) with a mysterious past sits freezing at a bus station, when a married couple (The Warrior's James Remar and Dumb & Dumber's Lauren Holly) offer her a ride. How the story moves forward from there is all the fun, so I won't go any further, other than saying that this movie was fucking GREAT and I’ve now seen it three times. Oz (son of Anthony) Perkins' directorial debut has undeservedly sat on a shelf for two years.

The Return (1980) Cybil Shepherd is an astronomer who goes to small town New Mexico to look for a black hole. Jan-Michael Vincent is a deputy who drinks beer on duty from the crack of dawn til the end of the day. Martin Landau is his sidekick, and Raymond Burr is Cybill’s dad. What a cast for this clunker! Cybil is being blamed by locals for cattle mutilation, but it’s a cave dwelling yokel who was abducted 25 years ago and has now been brought back. He also starts killing people with like laser hands or something. Greydon Clark borrows a bit from Close Encounters, though he would direct a better space contact movie in the same year, Without Warning.

The Wildling (2018) Brad “Chucky” Dourif keeps his daughter sheltered in a remote cabin to protect her from “the Wildling” from infancy until Sheriff Liv Tyler rescues her and takes her in. The wonders of the modern world amaze her, but soon it’s apparent she’s not a normal girl. Incredibly predictable, and casting Liv Tyler as a cop probably make SyFy producers wonder why they didn’t think of that. Not recommended.

Monster Party (2018) Three robbers posing as caterers find their houseparty is really a support group for serial killers. Sounds hilarious? Well it’s not a comedy. The protagonists aren’t very likeable to begin with, but the killers are even worse, they’re like serial killers of the country club variety. Again, this is not a comedy. Some quick nudity at a strip club, and a fair amount of gore, but I couldn’t possibly recommend this one. The Craft’s Robin Tunney played the Serial Killer Mom, I didn’t even recognize her, and the cute babysitter from Halloween 2018 was the main girl. Blue Collar comedian Bill Engval plays a violent strip club owner. And this is not a comedy.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 4
Madman aka Madman Marz (1982)
A counselor scares the kids with a story of a murderous, deformed farmer who escaped the hangman’s noose long ago and still terrorizes these very woods. Turns out its all true. The older kids have a night of sex, booze and death to look forward too, as the title character tears apart, hangs and stabs them, one by one. Lots of unintentional laughs in this one, led by a self-professed ladies man named “T.P.” who wears a belt buckle with his initials. Not as good as its reputation.

Wolf Guy (1975) Streetfighter himself, Sonny Chiba is the title character, a werewolf/newspaper reporter. At least I think he was a reporter, he said he was, but I never saw him doing any reporting, but anyway…He sees a rock band torn to shreds one by one by an invisible tiger, which came from a curse from a former lounge singer who they gang raped on orders from Yakuza, and she’s now a junky with syphilis and somehow transforms into an invisible tiger! Let me catch my breath. Sonny takes an interest in her and protects her by using his pocket change as ninja stars, among other things. As the full moon grows closer, Sonny grows stronger and circumstances lead him to the land where his werewolf clan was massacred when he was a child. If I have one knock on this sleaze gem, he never actually shape-shifted, just possessed wolf-like instincts and tendencies. Lots of nudity and guitar solo-heavy score, this one had never a dull moment. Japanese with subs.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs Week 5:
Demon Wind (1990)
Outrageous low budget demon flick, about a guy who drags every friend he has to his grandparents possessed shack in the desert. Almost everyone dies. Highly entertaining garbage, although I forgot almost all of it despite having seen it less than a week ago. One set of boobs.

House of the Devil (2008) I did a rewatch of it after 10 years only a few months ago, and still came up with the verdict that it was dull. Joe Bob addressed the slow pace of the film, he thought it was tense, well written and well acted. Who am I to argue with Joe Bob? Unlikely I’d ever watch it again.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 6
Wolfcop (2014)
A small town alcoholic cop gets turned into a werewolf after an encounter with some Satanists. He soups up his car and goes on some Robocop-style crime stopping, and eventually comes head to head with the town’s evil little secret. It was fun, but something tells me it could have been even more fun. Maybe it will be, this little indie shot in Saskatchewan Canada has a sequel I haven’t seen yet. 2nd time around on this one for me, but if not for Joe Bob, very unlikely I’d have watched it again.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) Gruesome character study of Henry & Otis, based on real life serial killers has been a fave of mine since I saw a screening at the Nuart in West LA way back in…I wanna say 1988, but Joe Bob said it didn’t make the rounds til 1990. This film is a gut punch, and it still has a couple legit laughs in it too (fuck the Bears, Otis’ shiny shirt, buying stolen TVs, etc). I can’t believe I let 20 or so years slip by since I last saw this, I still have my VHS copy in a box somewhere. I had even forgotten that the Sonics garage anthem “Psycho” is featured!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Because I'm perpetually about three years behind whatever is cool, I finally got around to watching Get Out. Holy crap but it was every bit as excellent as the hype. The long history of simultaneous white possession and contempt for the black body in a compelling metaphor. And, I admit, most of the way thru I doubted whether Rose was a willing participant, that she might have been hypnotized, too. Maybe that was a cultural response on my part or maybe it was because introducing the viability of powerful hypnosis plants that seed of doubt as to who is in control of their own actions. I dunno. The only part that nagged was the happy (relatively so) ending. Yeah, Chris gets out alive, but he's still a black man who was present where a lot of rich white people died—he's going down for that. That is, he escaped one conspiracy but he ain't escaping the larger one.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A Hitchcock film I"d never heard of. A true story of a musician who is wrongly identified as an armed robber, the difficulties of proving his innocence, and the toll it takes on his wife. A few nice touches in terms of camera work, but it lacks Hitchcock's usual tension and dark humour. I don't think you're missing anything if you haven't seen it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Hey Tep, Last Drive In is great. I was watching his Phantasm X-Mas marathon late last night. It was like I was back in the 90's. Except the movies are unedited.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

...and the Blackcoat's Daughter is fantastic.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Bankrobber wrote:
19 May 2019, 3:56pm
...and the Blackcoat's Daughter is fantastic.
I can't stop watching it, I love it to death. I've seen it 3x, i usually like to put a few years between rewtches

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Bankrobber wrote:
19 May 2019, 3:55pm
Hey Tep, Last Drive In is great. I was watching his Phantasm X-Mas marathon late last night. It was like I was back in the 90's. Except the movies are unedited.
Yeah, he makes the movies so much better.

welcome back, by the way!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

This IMDB review on The Haunting of Sharon Tate has me in tears:

3/10
her huge nostrils.
kbohna18 April 2019
The movie is what it is. I can't say much about it cuz I was not there. What I will say I've looked at many a pictures of Sharon Tate who was absolutely gorgeous and what I can say is that when she styled her eyebrows like everyone should, they went to the actual point of where her eye is and that is how old woman's eyebrows should be styled it's something to do with symmetrical Beauty. I know nowadays girls are making their eyebrows bushy rather than their Birds but that is not the right way to do it unless your face does not accept it your eyebrows should always go to the point of your eye and by not doing this they ruined the whole look of Hilary Duff who could probably very well be a clone of Sharon Tate and made her not look genuine. The makeup was great the eyebrow extensions worked but the eyebrows were so close together and Sharon Tate never wore her eyebrows like that. On top of all of what I just said Hilary Duff has two different sized nostrils if you are a good director you will not film up her nose knowing that her nose is very imperfect. If I was directing something and saw that I could leave out the fact that my main star had a huge mole underneath her one knows hole but you couldn't see it as long as you didn't film straight up her nose then that's what I would do film it properly. If you look at Hilary Duff's knows she has one huge nostril and one little nostril which isn't anything to cry out about but if you're making a movie let's try to get things accurate right? So for my review I would like to just State a few things for eyebrows are completely wrong Sharon Tate's eyebrows did not look anything like that although they were thicker than a lot of women have worn years ago they did not go to the center of her nose Bridge. Women back then had a thing about being symmetrical and thank God they did because they taught us a lot of it's called the T-Zone is there anyone who doesn't know what the Tea Zone is it's the portion of the face when you're doing art or even if you're looking at where people might get pimples. When you're making a film how could someone leave out this crucial detail that Sharon Tate never wore her eyebrows like that although they were bushier and thicker than we wear today not like the weird women that we see in Fabutan. Or tanning salons. What's the proper way women are supposed to look and that is symmetrical and in doing so you always follow where the eye comes to a point and that's where you end the eyebrow on a female. Like I said some females faces are wider or shorter and you might have to adjust for this but the same principle applies and he ruined the move by not getting these details accurate and filming her huge nostrils.

then this:

10/10
Why I'm really here...
meghanndotta12 May 2019
I'm just here to write this because I stumbled upon the review that goes on and on about her eyebrows and her mid-shaped nostrils and the magic of t-zone? and I cannot stop laughing 🤣

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've never seen Hilary Duff closely enough to notice her different nostrils, but I guarantee that's all I'll look for now. Kind of like once I notice Shannon Doherty's one eye is lower (or higher) than the other, every time from there on in, the gap grew bigger to me until she looks like a Picasso painting.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:09pm
I've never seen Hilary Duff closely enough to notice her different nostrils, but I guarantee that's all I'll look for now. Kind of like once I notice Shannon Doherty's one eye is lower (or higher) than the other, every time from there on in, the gap grew bigger to me until she looks like a Picasso painting.
Holy shit yes it becomes all you can see.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Has anyone seen The Green Room? Punk band who witness a murder get hunted down by Neo-Nazis? Was thinking of watching it tonight but the reviews veer from brilliant to shite with nothing in between.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
27 May 2019, 8:29am
Has anyone seen The Green Room? Punk band who witness a murder get hunted down by Neo-Nazis? Was thinking of watching it tonight but the reviews veer from brilliant to shite with nothing in between.
I enjoyed it alright. Been a few years but I would put it at 6 or 7 out of 10. So for me that's in between. I don't remember anything that I'd be critical of other than the obvious. Interesting character turn for Patrick Stewart.

I'm pretty sure there is a Tep review