101Walterton
The Best

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 12:07pm

Opinions? I think it grabs the eye quite well, especially given that it's so busy in terms of colour and objects. The only thing I don't like is the curve of his name. Get rid of that entirely and it'd be quite satisfying.
I think it's great especially after some of the dour covers he's had in recent times. It's bright and fun and it's busy just the right amount. No problem with the curved name logo it works also.
Don’t like it at all.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 4:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Opinions? I think it grabs the eye quite well, especially given that it's so busy in terms of colour and objects. The only thing I don't like is the curve of his name. Get rid of that entirely and it'd be quite satisfying.
I think it's great especially after some of the dour covers he's had in recent times. It's bright and fun and it's busy just the right amount. No problem with the curved name logo it works also.
Don’t like it at all.
How about now you grumpy old buzzard.
Attachments
Paul McCartney - Egypt Station M.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 4:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 4:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Don’t like it at all.
How about now you grumpy old buzzard.
Haha get rid of all that colour stuff, bit more black and white and a few checks 👍

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Yikes. No argument here.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 1:33pm
Yikes. No argument here.
Agreed. There is nothing more dangerous (design wise) than someone who "thinks" they know what they're doing (and has access to Adobe CC)! ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 1:46pm
Kory wrote:
Yikes. No argument here.
Agreed. There is nothing more dangerous (design wise) than someone who "thinks" they know what they're doing (and has access to Adobe CC)! ;)
The bane of my existence.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 4:21pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yikes. No argument here.
*ahem* I am the bane of your existence.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yikes. No argument here.
I have a minor in graphic design (and in fact - I was working towards majoring in design until I decided I was better with words) so I can relate. I find a lot people who think that it's easy to be creative and that anyone can just do it and the fact is they can't. You have an eye for it or you don't.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 6:47pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yikes. No argument here.
I have a minor in graphic design (and in fact - I was working towards majoring in design until I decided I was better with words) so I can relate. I find a lot people who think that it's easy to be creative and that anyone can just do it and the fact is they can't. You have an eye for it or you don't.
Eye eye.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yikes. No argument here.
I agree, with the caveat that having an eye for it is just one factor in addition to having a solid grounding in design basics (as you know from minoring in it!). There's very little substitute for education unless somebody is some kind of magically talented dilettante.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 8:03pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yikes. No argument here.
I agree, with the caveat that having an eye for it is just one factor in addition to having a solid grounding in design basics (as you know from minoring in it!). There's very little substitute for education unless somebody is some kind of magically talented dilettante.
Yup. I was actually working towards a degree in graphic design - along with my sister who is a year younger - until I realized she had a better overall knack for it - and that I was better at words...so I ended up majoring in marketing/advertising/media...but thought it would be a good idea to grab the minor...especially since I'd already invested several semesters!!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 8:25pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yup. I was actually working towards a degree in graphic design - along with my sister who is a year younger - until I realized she had a better overall knack for it - and that I was better at words...so I ended up majoring in marketing/advertising/media...but thought it would be a good idea to grab the minor...especially since I'd already invested several semesters!!
For sure, if you're in marketing it helps to be able to speak design language so you can communicate with your designers! There's nothing worse than a marketing manager asking me to make it "pop," "sizzle," or "can you make it more design-y?"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 9:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

For sure, if you're in marketing it helps to be able to speak design language so you can communicate with your designers! There's nothing worse than a marketing manager asking me to make it "pop," "sizzle," or "can you make it more design-y?"
I am my designer... :mrgreen:

I work for a large company...but the corporate marketing/design team is small...so a lot if required of us at the divisional level. Especially if you do have a design background as some of the divisions have marketing managers who don't have that skill set. They rely heavily on the handful of corporate designers that we have. Personally, I like the arrangement as it allows me the opportunity to be creative!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 9:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

People truly underestimate the importance of graphic designers, too. You all come up with stuff that people wouldn't even think of. We have a great graphic designer at my organization that we contract with, and the difference he has made is remarkable. And none of us would have even thought of it. It also seems remarkably simple, but it's not. It's like that cliche about art when people say "Oh, I could have painted THAT." "Yeah, but you didn't."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy