movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:53am
WestwayKid wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:41am
This is one of my fave Queen tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB4t9tL2vkA
One of my favorites off that album.
That album really kind of sums up my interest in Queen. There are some truly great songs: Death on Two Legs, Love of My Life, You're My Best Friend, Bohemian Rhapsody and then some fun, quirky, weird songs like Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon and Good Company...but also a fair amount of filler that I just can't get that interested in: The Prophet's Song and 39. It's all over the place.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I still want to see the movie, BTW. I think Rami Malek is an incredible actor, so I would watch anything he is in.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 1:05pm
I still want to see the movie, BTW. I think Rami Malek is an incredible actor, so I would watch anything he is in.
I agree on both points!

I'm also interested in seeing the upcoming Elton John film. Not sure if it's a straight up biopic or not...but looks fun.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I like Fat Bottomed Girls, You're My Best Friend, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Stone Cold Crazy, Tie Your Mother Down, Dragon Attack. Then some other ones are OK.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 1:05pm
His transformation to Freddie is freaky. And he deserves an Oscar for his performance.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched this this morning. I really want to enjoy this more. I can appreciate and endorse both the purposeful anachronisms to bind the 1850s to the 1980s, as well as the farcical aspects as a way of deflating smug American moralism and imperialism. But in wanting to be both mocking and provoking moral outrage, it's at cross-purposes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 8:35am
Watched this this morning. I really want to enjoy this more. I can appreciate and endorse both the purposeful anachronisms to bind the 1850s to the 1980s, as well as the farcical aspects as a way of deflating smug American moralism and imperialism. But in wanting to be both mocking and provoking moral outrage, it's at cross-purposes.
I tried watching it once, dont remember it at all. The soundtrack has made a greater impression on me for sure.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 9:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I tried watching it once, dont remember it at all. The soundtrack has made a greater impression on me for sure.
That's one thing I noticed—I enjoyed the soundtrack even more in the context of the movie than just listening to it as an album.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Good subject to make a film about. Poorly executed and feels rushed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 10:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Definitely agree about the rushed part. Perhaps that's related to the more mocking part of the approach.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 10:40am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 10:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Definitely agree about the rushed part. Perhaps that's related to the more mocking part of the approach.
I guess you are correct. To me that's what spoils the film. I think that Alex Cox should've stuck with the mocking aspect of the movie. Walker fails where Straight to Hell achieves in as much as it's comedic effect being a spoof western and none of it's participants are comedy actors just adds to the farce.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 11:48am
I think that Alex Cox should've stuck with the mocking aspect of the movie. Walker fails where Straight to Hell achieves in as much as it's comedic effect being a spoof western and none of it's participants are comedy actors just adds to the farce.
Right, whether a person find StH funny or not, you know that the point is to be a spoof. That clarity does make StH the better film.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Haven't watched this since shortly after it was released. Thought it mostly crap then and, well, yeah, the assessment stands. A few amusing bits, but it's bafflingly painful given that it's an extended Mr. Show episode.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) Remember those Tarantino influenced films that were released in the late 90's, Two Days in the Valley, City of Industry? BTATER fits that genre. A really well done film where each character (Jeff Bridges, Dakota Johnson, John Hamm) has a specific reason for checking into this particular motel. The storytelling is non-lineal in some sequences and the payoff towards the end is excellent.

The Girl in the Spiders Webb (2018) I loved the TGWTDT with Rooney Mara. This one has a new Lisbeth(Claire Foy) who is very good, but the film is more like a spy thriller/action film. There are car chases, fight scenes and near death situations for the heroine. Still worth seeing IMHO.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

daredevil wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 2:34pm
Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) Remember those Tarantino influenced films that were released in the late 90's, Two Days in the Valley, City of Industry? BTATER fits that genre. A really well done film where each character (Jeff Bridges, Dakota Johnson, John Hamm) has a specific reason for checking into this particular motel. The storytelling is non-lineal in some sequences and the payoff towards the end is excellent.

The Girl in the Spiders Webb (2018) I loved the TGWTDT with Rooney Mara. This one has a new Lisbeth(Claire Foy) who is very good, but the film is more like a spy thriller/action film. There are car chases, fight scenes and near death situations for the heroine. Still worth seeing IMHO.
How does Girl in the Spider's Web compare to the original Swedish trilogy? Those were great films. I wasnt able to bring myself to watch the US version. I find Daniel Craig to be pretty bland.