The thread of musical shame...

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The thread of musical shame...

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 1:50pm
I've never heard this Scatman John song. Sounds very European.
I could have sworn "Scatman's World" charted in the U.S. but apparently not. The lead single from that album, "Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop)", cracked the Top 40 and placed highly on the various U.S. dance charts tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 1:55pm
matedog wrote:
I could have sworn "Scatman's World" charted in the U.S. but apparently not. The lead single from that album, "Scatman (Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop)", cracked the Top 40 and placed highly on the various U.S. dance charts tho.
The only Scatman I know:
91060_v9_ba.jpg
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 1:55pm
matedog wrote:
Was going to say no until I got to the chorus, definitely know that hook. But yeah, not something I was remotely interested in during the mid 90s.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 2:00pm
Was going to say no until I got to the chorus, definitely know that hook. But yeah, not something I was remotely interested in during the mid 90s.
The Blessed Decade is an ever-unfolding text that continues to reveal its riches even as the years go by.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 2:03pm
matedog wrote:
The Blessed Decade is an ever-unfolding text that continues to reveal its riches even as the years go by.
It is truly a barrel built without a bottom.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
First Space, now fake scat eurotrash techno.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 3:20pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
First Space, now fake scat eurotrash techno.
Ahhh, happy days...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 1:04pm

I vividly recall when ...But Seriously came out in 1989. You couldn't drive to the gas station without hearing one of the singles on the radio. I think most US stations were required to play Another Day in Paradise every hour. That seems to be about the time that it really started to become cool to not like Phil Collins and yes - a lot of it is probably his fault for trading in the rougher edges that had made him interesting for 100% slick, over-produced MOR schlock.
I must take exception with the two emboldened points above.

It has always been cool to hate Phil Collins and rough edges?

My first exposure was hearing "In the Air Tonight". I immediately hated it. Were the rougher edges before that?

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 4:22pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 1:04pm

I vividly recall when ...But Seriously came out in 1989. You couldn't drive to the gas station without hearing one of the singles on the radio. I think most US stations were required to play Another Day in Paradise every hour. That seems to be about the time that it really started to become cool to not like Phil Collins and yes - a lot of it is probably his fault for trading in the rougher edges that had made him interesting for 100% slick, over-produced MOR schlock.
I must take exception with the two emboldened points above.

It has always been cool to hate Phil Collins and rough edges?

My first exposure was hearing "In the Air Tonight". I immediately hated it. Were the rougher edges before that?
"Mama" has quite a rough-ass vocal, certainly compared to his ultra-smooth late 80s/90s sound.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Can remember hearing In the air tonight when it was released and really liking it. Still do. Generally dislike tv adverts but that gorilla one brought back what an impressive song this is.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 6:08pm
Can remember hearing In the air tonight when it was released and really liking it. Still do. Generally dislike tv adverts but that gorilla one brought back what an impressive song this is.
Revbob hates all pop music.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 1:16pm
When I read defenses of Phil Collins, I start wondering whether we gave up on punk Stalinism too quickly … :shifty:
I'm with you comrade.

But seriously I sometimes wonder and think there's something wrong with me that I don't just dislike but genuinely can't stand certain artists/songs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 6:20pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 6:08pm
Revbob hates all pop music.
Not true I like that one song by ummm, I'll think of it, you'll see. You'll all see!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 6:34pm
But seriously I sometimes wonder and think there's something wrong with me that I don't just dislike but genuinely can't stand certain artists/songs.
Don't let the mass insanity of others generate self-doubt.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 7:09pm
revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 6:34pm
Don't let the mass insanity of others generate self-doubt.
I have noticed along with Toto, the general public is trying to rehabilitate Phil Collins as well. I am not here for this.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"