What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:03pm
laxman wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:18pm
laxman wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 6:35pm
Haven’t ever listened to that album, but I do have a compilation album which I think includes nearly all of it. Was lucky enough to be at the Manchester Justice Tonight show when Brown and Squire made their Roses comeback.
Which comp do you have as the sound on some of the Roses comps is appalling plus some tracks are shortened. I'd recommend this as a stand alone album as the track selection makes sense in the right order. It is like listening to s/t UK version or Essential Clash.
The two-disc re-release of that first album is all a person needs. It avoids the shoddy edits of those compilations, plus it allows one to pretend they fell into a volcano before that wretched second album.
stone roses.jpg

This one. The Complete Stone Roses, although clearly not really Complete!
Yep I have that CD it is a pile of shit!!!
If you listen to it through headphones it is like white noise tracking track.
Sound aside it only has 5 of the 11 excellent tracks on The Stone Roses and they are out of sequence and badly edited.
Apart from that a good comp :mrgreen:
I haven’t listened to it through head phones and haven't had a problem with it but clearly need to listen to the first album. Thanks all for your advice.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
laxman wrote:
Haven’t ever listened to that album, but I do have a compilation album which I think includes nearly all of it. Was lucky enough to be at the Manchester Justice Tonight show when Brown and Squire made their Roses comeback.
Which comp do you have as the sound on some of the Roses comps is appalling plus some tracks are shortened. I'd recommend this as a stand alone album as the track selection makes sense in the right order. It is like listening to s/t UK version or Essential Clash.
The two-disc re-release of that first album is all a person needs. It avoids the shoddy edits of those compilations, plus it allows one to pretend they fell into a volcano before that wretched second album.
I have the 4 disc version from maybe 10 years ago. The original album, disc of demos, disc of b-sides, and then a live DVD which I've never watched. I honestly don't hate Second Coming. It does feel unfinished and half baked at times - but there are some moments where they really catch fire. Squire has some inspired moments. The album was never going to live up to the hype...but I'll still put it on now and then.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 10:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
laxman wrote:
I have the 4 disc version from maybe 10 years ago. The original album, disc of demos, disc of b-sides, and then a live DVD which I've never watched. I honestly don't hate Second Coming. It does feel unfinished and half baked at times - but there are some moments where they really catch fire. Squire has some inspired moments. The album was never going to live up to the hype...but I'll still put it on now and then.
Second Coming is no The Stone Roses however I like it. It has some good tracks on it and 10 Storey Love Song is a great Roses track.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

TMBG, Glean. It's remarkable that they can still sound so quirky and so good after all these years.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 8:13pm
From memory there was a couple of good tracks Du Cane Road?
Or maybe that is the only track name I can remember and not because it was my home address!!!! Although was Toppers for a stretch obviously.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 8:22pm
Heston wrote:
Or maybe that is the only track name I can remember and not because it was my home address!!!! Although was Toppers for a stretch obviously.
It is mostly terrible. I was about to turn it off but "Time Is Tight" has just came on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 8:48pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 8:22pm
Heston wrote:
It is mostly terrible. I was about to turn it off but "Time Is Tight" has just came on.
That album reminds me that for all the ridiculous and borderline racist things nsc said, his craziest opinion was that Waking Up was the best post-Clash album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

that will soft rock for mossad van humbug
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 8:57pm
that will soft rock for mossad van humbug
If you can decode this phrase, you are inner circle IMCT.

Also, it's been a long time since I've listened to that album and probably a long time yet before I do again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Everyone knows what the best post-Clash album is. Any other opinion is lunacy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 9:02pm
Gotcha.

(Love you, Joe, but, lord, you had a rough patch for, well, most of the 80s.)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
the good, the bad and the queen liker has logged on, i see
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 9:29pm
Heston wrote:
Gotcha.

(Love you, Joe, but, lord, you had a rough patch for, well, most of the 80s.)
I'm not gonna lie I played the shit out of my cassette copy back in the day. I still don't hate it.