What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 6:36pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 6:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 3:08pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 7:27pm
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! So fucking good. It energizes and elates, soothes and moves. I can't recommend this album enough.
I have a friend that almost got into them, I never did. Where would one start?
That one. Seriously, I rank it as a Top 5 album of this decade. Then try Yanqui UXO, Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress, and Lift Your Skinny Fists …. But Allelujah! is sublime. Sit in the dark with headphones on kind of thing.
That's high praise indeed
I'm surprised that you're not into these guys already, actually, as they seem right up your alley.
I wish I had more time
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 6:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 1:53pm

I have a friend that almost got into them, I never did. Where would one start?
That one. Seriously, I rank it as a Top 5 album of this decade. Then try Yanqui UXO, Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress, and Lift Your Skinny Fists …. But Allelujah! is sublime. Sit in the dark with headphones on kind of thing.
I'm surprised that you're not into these guys already, actually, as they seem right up your alley.
I wish I had more time
Make better choices!

(Seriously, I'll be a bit annoyed if you shrug at this album. Not seriously so, but a wee bit.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 7:20pm
Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 6:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wish I had more time
Make better choices!

(Seriously, I'll be a bit annoyed if you shrug at this album. Not seriously so, but a wee bit.)
i'll see if I can get to it this week. I'll want to have some time with it rather than just listening at work, of course.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 4:53pm
Isn't that compulsary at least once a week?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 5:14pm
Heston wrote:
About 3 times a year for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Underrated band and album...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 5:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
I'm the same by the end of January.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 5:53pm
Heston wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 5:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
I'm the same by the end of January.
John Squire is the only rock legend I've ever met. Seahorses show in Milwaukee back in maybe 1997/98. Chris Helme did a short solo set and Squire was just standing off to the side of the stage (it was a small club) and I walked up and said hello. Seemed like a really nice guy. Chatted for a few minutes. I think he was a little surprised that some young kid from Wisconsin knew so much about the Roses! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Haven’t ever listened to that album, but I do have a compilation album which I think includes nearly all of it. Was lucky enough to be at the Manchester Justice Tonight show when Brown and Squire made their Roses comeback.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 6:35pm
Haven’t ever listened to that album, but I do have a compilation album which I think includes nearly all of it. Was lucky enough to be at the Manchester Justice Tonight show when Brown and Squire made their Roses comeback.
Which comp do you have as the sound on some of the Roses comps is appalling plus some tracks are shortened. I'd recommend this as a stand alone album as the track selection makes sense in the right order. It is like listening to s/t UK version or Essential Clash.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:18pm
laxman wrote:
Which comp do you have as the sound on some of the Roses comps is appalling plus some tracks are shortened. I'd recommend this as a stand alone album as the track selection makes sense in the right order. It is like listening to s/t UK version or Essential Clash.
The two-disc re-release of that first album is all a person needs. It avoids the shoddy edits of those compilations, plus it allows one to pretend they fell into a volcano before that wretched second album.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
laxman wrote:
The two-disc re-release of that first album is all a person needs. It avoids the shoddy edits of those compilations, plus it allows one to pretend they fell into a volcano before that wretched second album.
stone roses.jpg
stone roses.jpg (55.56 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
This one. The Complete Stone Roses, although clearly not really Complete!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
laxman wrote:
stone roses.jpg

The two-disc has all of that and more, without the edits. Tho, I admit, because I don't do physical product anymore, the idea of single albums, meaning not having to change the cd, doesn't guide my judgment, so the convenience of one disc could hold some appeal.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
laxman wrote:
stone roses.jpg

Yep I have that CD it is a pile of shit!!!
If you listen to it through headphones it is like white noise tracking track.
Sound aside it only has 5 of the 11 excellent tracks on The Stone Roses and they are out of sequence and badly edited.
Apart from that a good comp :mrgreen: