The Future of the Republican Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 3:06pm
My god. You seriously can't make this stuff up!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 3:55pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 3:06pm
My god. You seriously can't make this stuff up!!
Well, when conservatism has spent the last several decades making a virtue of stupidity, this does tend to be the end result.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Just wanted to take a moment to savor the defeat of Scott Kevin Walker. I figured it would be a tight race. I went to bed with things essentially knotted up...but was very, very, very happy to wake up and see that the race had been called for his challenger, Tony Evers.

He has been a horrendous governor and a very horrible human being. He pushed through Act 10 - a bill that aimed to destroy collective bargaining for public workers. He pushed to make Wisconsin a "right-to-work" state. He signed a horrible voter ID law. He defunded Planned Parenthood. He refused federal money to fund healthcare, roads, and mass transit. He was horrible for education and for the environment. He was fleeced by a Taiwanese company called Foxxconn to build a huge plant - we're basically building this gigantic, environmental disaster for them and they're going to "repay" us by bringing "thousands of good paying jobs" to Wisconsin...except they're already drawing back plans and expectations.

He has been a failure and I thought maybe we had him when we tried to recall him in 2012. We had the signatures to force a recall election, but we ran the wrong candidate. We kept running the same candidate and it felt a little hopeless...but his failed 2016 presidential run hurt him and in the end I think enough people in Wisconsin were just tired of his shtick.

We also re-elected Tammy Baldwin to the United States senate and bounced out our corrupt waste of an attorney general.

My only disappointment was that we didn't take back WI-1, which was Paul Ryan's old seat. The GOP elected a goofier looking clone of Ryan - but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Wisconsin is one of the worst gerrymandered states in the country.

Anyway - I'm happy.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:53am
Just wanted to take a moment to savor the defeat of Scott Kevin Walker. I figured it would be a tight race. I went to bed with things essentially knotted up...but was very, very, very happy to wake up and see that the race had been called for his challenger, Tony Evers.

He has been a horrendous governor and a very horrible human being. He pushed through Act 10 - a bill that aimed to destroy collective bargaining for public workers. He pushed to make Wisconsin a "right-to-work" state. He signed a horrible voter ID law. He defunded Planned Parenthood. He refused federal money to fund healthcare, roads, and mass transit. He was horrible for education and for the environment. He was fleeced by a Taiwanese company called Foxxconn to build a huge plant - we're basically building this gigantic, environmental disaster for them and they're going to "repay" us by bringing "thousands of good paying jobs" to Wisconsin...except they're already drawing back plans and expectations.

He has been a failure and I thought maybe we had him when we tried to recall him in 2012. We had the signatures to force a recall election, but we ran the wrong candidate. We kept running the same candidate and it felt a little hopeless...but his failed 2016 presidential run hurt him and in the end I think enough people in Wisconsin were just tired of his shtick.

We also re-elected Tammy Baldwin to the United States senate and bounced out our corrupt waste of an attorney general.

My only disappointment was that we didn't take back WI-1, which was Paul Ryan's old seat. The GOP elected a goofier looking clone of Ryan - but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Wisconsin is one of the worst gerrymandered states in the country.

Anyway - I'm happy.
My favorite thing about Scott Walker is that he was part of putting in a law that made recounts more difficult and as a result he cannot ask for one. Good on Curd-istan!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 10:45am
WestwayKid wrote:

Anyway - I'm happy.
My favorite thing about Scott Walker is that he was part of putting in a law that made recounts more difficult and as a result he cannot ask for one. Good on Curd-istan!
It's all good, though...Republican legislature is already looking at ways to "limit the power" of the incoming governor:

https://www.tmj4.com/news/the-vote/vos- ... s-governor

Republicans are the sorest losers around. It sure was funny for them when they could laugh at all of the "snowflakes" after 2016 - but it's becoming clear to me that they're the fragile ones. Thin skinned to the core.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 11:31am
Republicans are the sorest losers around. It sure was funny for them when they could laugh at all of the "snowflakes" after 2016 - but it's becoming clear to me that they're the fragile ones. Thin skinned to the core.
Given that so much of modern conservatism comes down to "muh privilege!," yeah, they are a bunch of whiney babies intolerant of pluralism and genuine competition with others. If there were some kind of intellectual heft behind it, I'd grant it some kind of respectful curiosity, but it's a bunch of entitled spoiled brats being told they're going to have to stick with last year's model of iPhone and them losing their nut over it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

FOR KIDS!

https://keepandbear.com/

We are pleased to announce the launch of a brand new line of toys: MAGA building blocks! This set comes with more than 100 pieces including President Trump in a MAGA hard hat!

A mob of 10,000 Central American migrants is marching through Mexico and heading toward El Paso, Texas. Mexican border agents attempted to stop them at the Mexican border, but to no avail.

We understand why they want to flee Honduras and live and work in America. After all, we are the greatest nation on earth.

In the interest of national security, however, we cannot allow just anyone and everyone to cross our borders. While there are good people attempting to enter our nation, there are also gangs, criminals, and terrorists. Everyone who wants to enter our country must enter legally for the safety of all.

The wall must be built. The wall will keep America safe and strong. Only then will we be able to help those in need.

We are pleased to announce the launch of a brand new line of toys: MAGA building blocks! This toy makes a great Christmas gift for your kids and grandkids!

3 figures included in this set (Trump, Hillary and a Joker. Comes with stand, MAGA hat interchangeable with Trump's hair, and interchangeable heads to create the Hillary for Prison character from the joker figure.)

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 12:00pm
FOR KIDS!

https://keepandbear.com/

We are pleased to announce the launch of a brand new line of toys: MAGA building blocks! This set comes with more than 100 pieces including President Trump in a MAGA hard hat!

A mob of 10,000 Central American migrants is marching through Mexico and heading toward El Paso, Texas. Mexican border agents attempted to stop them at the Mexican border, but to no avail.

We understand why they want to flee Honduras and live and work in America. After all, we are the greatest nation on earth.

In the interest of national security, however, we cannot allow just anyone and everyone to cross our borders. While there are good people attempting to enter our nation, there are also gangs, criminals, and terrorists. Everyone who wants to enter our country must enter legally for the safety of all.

The wall must be built. The wall will keep America safe and strong. Only then will we be able to help those in need.

We are pleased to announce the launch of a brand new line of toys: MAGA building blocks! This toy makes a great Christmas gift for your kids and grandkids!

3 figures included in this set (Trump, Hillary and a Joker. Comes with stand, MAGA hat interchangeable with Trump's hair, and interchangeable heads to create the Hillary for Prison character from the joker figure.)
Dear god...I thought maybe this was a parody...but I went to the website and it appears to be a legit product?? WTF!? These people are truly insane...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 12:00pm
This toy makes a great Christmas gift for your uncle whom you see only at Thanksgiving!

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

WestwayKid wrote:

Anyway - I'm happy.
I grew up in Wisconsin.

It was a progressive state for all the time I lived there, from 1964 to 1978.

How it turned into a GOP shithole starting in the 2000s, I never could fathom. The best I can come up with is inbred German-American rural yahoos getting fired up by the usual right-wing tropes.

But, like you, I'm so glad to see Walker tossed onto the political garbage heap.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politics ... index.html

She must have found out that her hubby, Mr. Tiny Hands, fucked her.

I'm serious.

BostonBeaneater

Spiff wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 5:16pm
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politics ... index.html

She must have found out that her hubby, Mr. Tiny Hands, fucked her.

I'm serious.
It sure sounds that way. Shame upon any woman who would fuck that thing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I know this applies to anything in this White House, but can you imagine the shitstorm that Fox News would launch if Michelle Obama openly intruded in high administration staffing like that? The word "uppity" would be uttered at least once within the first twenty-four hours, guaranteed.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

But they wouldn't actually say "uppity" -- no, they would use a dogwhistle word or phrase like "not her place" or "overstepping" amirite?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 6:36pm
But they wouldn't actually say "uppity" -- no, they would use a dogwhistle word or phrase like "not her place" or "overstepping" amirite?
One of them would say uppity, in addition to the more coded terms you cite. Maybe not one of the hosts, but one of the regular guests. They're racists and they're also pretty fucking dumb and clumsy about it.