The Bowie song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Bowie song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by coffeepotman »

Lazarus! Went to see the pro shot video of the play accompanied by the live band, it was amazing theatre! Hopefully it will get some kind of release. The band was hot and Lazarus the song would have been a monster if Bowie were still with us and able to play it live.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
03 May 2018, 9:01am
Lazarus! Went to see the pro shot video of the play accompanied by the live band, it was amazing theatre! Hopefully it will get some kind of release. The band was hot and Lazarus the song would have been a monster if Bowie were still with us and able to play it live.
:cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Just curious, anyone picked up those recently released Bowie box sets? They appear to cover his career a few years at a time: remastered albums, live recordings, and rare cuts (though most have already been released).

They're pricey - about $130 a pop on Amazon and I already own everything - some albums in multiple formats. I have the 1990 Ryko version of Diamond Dogs and the 2004 2CD version.

I really have no intention of picking up any of these sets, but I've been going through a recent Bowie revival and listening to him a lot and I'm curious about them because they look interesting.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Eatched a doco about Ronson recently. Although most of it was about Bowie still a good doco. He was seriously ripped off and died broke.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:44am
Just curious, anyone picked up those recently released Bowie box sets? They appear to cover his career a few years at a time: remastered albums, live recordings, and rare cuts (though most have already been released).

They're pricey - about $130 a pop on Amazon and I already own everything - some albums in multiple formats. I have the 1990 Ryko version of Diamond Dogs and the 2004 2CD version.

I really have no intention of picking up any of these sets, but I've been going through a recent Bowie revival and listening to him a lot and I'm curious about them because they look interesting.
I'm not bothering. The most interesting thing to me was the Gouster released on the second box, but I have the '99 masters and those are perfectly fine.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:

I have the first two and they are great in my opinion. Maybe get the 3rd one and I see the 4th with Let's Dance etc is about to get released but that one has very little I care for and will be a lot of live shows.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 4:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I have the first two and they are great in my opinion. Maybe get the 3rd one and I see the 4th with Let's Dance etc is about to get released but that one has very little I care for and will be a lot of live shows.
I’m very curious about the Never Let Me Down re-record (it’s not quite Cut the Crap being redone with Joe’s vocals, but it is a botched album that could be better), but I’m currently torrent-curious, not spend-money-curious.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 5:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 4:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I’m very curious about the Never Let Me Down re-record (it’s not quite Cut the Crap being redone with Joe’s vocals, but it is a botched album that could be better), but I’m currently torrent-curious, not spend-money-curious.
I wasn't aware of the NLMD re-record until I read this. I'm very intrigued...but yeah, not spend-money-curious at this point.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Just listened to the 2018 version of Zeroes and it is (in my opinion) a big improvement on the original. They seem to have kept the distinctive elements of the song (especially Peter Frampton's sitar) - but reworked much of the song. I think it sounds better and I definitely want to get my hands on the new version of the album.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I will say this: I love that they realized there’s not much on Tonight worth trying to save (the only two songs on it that don’t irredeemably suck don’t need fixing). NLMD is at least salvageable.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I picked up the second set from the library (don't actually have it, yet - but it is being transferred to my local branch for me). Curious to check it out. They also have the third set, but oddly not the first.

I can't imagine the sound is that much better than what has come before - but I still want to listen and look at the packaging.

Totally agree on Tonight. It is what it is. After hearing the remake of Zeroes - I have high hopes for the rest of the album. There are some good lyrics and sounds buried within.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I adore this track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I heard the "new"version of Bang Bang and was not impressed, I'm not sure David would have approved. It's pretty lame. I'm not sure anything can save that album or anything from the new box.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

coffeepotman wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 7:26am
I heard the "new"version of Bang Bang and was not impressed, I'm not sure David would have approved. It's pretty lame. I'm not sure anything can save that album or anything from the new box.
Yeah, I’ve heard the album...some of the shit songs are better, but some the good songs are worse!
Never Let Me Down (the song) is one song in particular that hasn’t been improved!