Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 8:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 3:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 1:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 12:47pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 11:54am
Q. What would you say to forming The Beatles - The Next Generation, with Sean Lennon, Dhani Harrison and Zak Starkey [Ringo Starr's son]?

I don't think it's something that Zak wants to do. Maybe Jason [another of Starr's sons and also drummer] would want to do it. I'd be up for it. Sean seemed to be into it, Dhani seemed to be into it. I'd be happy to do it.

Q. Has it been mooted?

Yeah, a little bit.

Q. Do you think it could happen?

Yeah, hopefully, naturally. I don't know, you'd have to wait and see. The will of God, nature's support, I guess. So yeah, maybe.

Dear universe, please let this never happen. Thank you.
Awfulicious!
Of course Zak doesn't want to do it. He actually has a musical career. I think if this were to happen - and I truly hope it does not - that it would be really, really sad.
I’m sick of seeing the offspring of successful people given every opportunity and careers on a plate on the back of their parents. Not just music you see it acting and sports as well.
Best not mention him.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 9:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 8:13pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 3:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 1:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 12:47pm

Awfulicious!
Of course Zak doesn't want to do it. He actually has a musical career. I think if this were to happen - and I truly hope it does not - that it would be really, really sad.
I’m sick of seeing the offspring of successful people given every opportunity and careers on a plate on the back of their parents. Not just music you see it acting and sports as well.
Best not mention him.
mens-calum-best-for-men-eau-de-toilette-100ml-fragrance-p29943-56311_image.jpg
I think when you've gotten your own fragrance you've made it... ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Riffing on the Beatles topic...I wonder if they would have managed to stay relevant if they had stayed together in the 70's? Would being The Beatles have been enough? Would they have been able to change with the times musically and culturally? The 1970's were a different beast than the 1960's. How would they have reacted to punk, for instance?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 7:59am
Riffing on the Beatles topic...I wonder if they would have managed to stay relevant if they had stayed together in the 70's? Would being The Beatles have been enough? Would they have been able to change with the times musically and culturally? The 1970's were a different beast than the 1960's. How would they have reacted to punk, for instance?
One of the arguments in Devin McKinney's Magic Circles that I find persuasive is that after the rush of Beatlemania, the band and their fans were largely moving in opposite directions in terms of what they wanted. The band's basic pacifism and desire for coexistence was at odds with an increasingly fractured, selfish, and conflict-driven youth culture. Even if they had stayed together, I suspect their position within popular culture would have been not that different from what it was as solo performers—kind of relics for a happier time, but less relevant to present needs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 8:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Q. What would you say to forming The Beatles - The Next Generation, with Sean Lennon, Dhani Harrison and Zak Starkey [Ringo Starr's son]?

I don't think it's something that Zak wants to do. Maybe Jason [another of Starr's sons and also drummer] would want to do it. I'd be up for it. Sean seemed to be into it, Dhani seemed to be into it. I'd be happy to do it.

Q. Has it been mooted?

Yeah, a little bit.

Yeah, hopefully, naturally. I don't know, you'd have to wait and see. The will of God, nature's support, I guess. So yeah, maybe.

It would likely be just another crappy band that I'd ignore. They couldn't be worse than Phil Collins.
Nothing could be worse than Phil Collins.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 8:36am
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 7:59am
One of the arguments in Devin McKinney's Magic Circles that I find persuasive is that after the rush of Beatlemania, the band and their fans were largely moving in opposite directions in terms of what they wanted. The band's basic pacifism and desire for coexistence was at odds with an increasingly fractured, selfish, and conflict-driven youth culture. Even if they had stayed together, I suspect their position within popular culture would have been not that different from what it was as solo performers—kind of relics for a happier time, but less relevant to present needs.
Kind of my thought, too.

Interesting point about the band and their fans moving in opposite directions. I had never thought about that - but I think it rings true. I wasn't born until 1977 - so I obviously missed out on the whole Beatlemania thing - but as I think about the story arc of the 1960's - the world that ushered in Beatlemania was gone by the time the band ceased to be in 1970.

Trying to think of bands that were big in the 1960's that managed to retain (if not grow) their popularity in the 1970's. It's a short list. The Stones. The Who (maybe?).

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:20am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Q. Has it been mooted?

Yeah, a little bit.

It would likely be just another crappy band that I'd ignore. They couldn't be worse than Phil Collins.
Michael Bolton.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've been listening to Harrison's solo catalog over the past couple of days. I really did like Cloud 9 when it came out and I still do - but man, it sounds a lot like ELO - which called to mind a great post by Steve Hoffman:

Funny, I CAN'T STAND non-ELO Jeff Lynne produced records.

Why?

I'll tell you:

HE MAKES EVERYTHING SOUND LIKE ELO!!!!!!

He makes Tom Petty sound like ELO.
He makes Roy Orbison sound like ELO.
He makes George Harrison sound like ELO.
He makes the friggin' BEATLES sound like ELO on FREE AS A BIRD.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:34am
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:20am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Q. Has it been mooted?

Yeah, a little bit.

Michael Bolton.
Nope. He at least knows he sucks.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Interesting point about the band and their fans moving in opposite directions. I had never thought about that - but I think it rings true. I wasn't born until 1977 - so I obviously missed out on the whole Beatlemania thing - but as I think about the story arc of the 1960's - the world that ushered in Beatlemania was gone by the time the band ceased to be in 1970.
When I chatted with McKinney about his book, he pointed me to this clip, saying that he wrote the book, in essence, for the last kid.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:44am
WestwayKid wrote:
When I chatted with McKinney about his book, he pointed me to this clip, saying that he wrote the book, in essence, for the last kid.
Fascinating clip.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:37am
I've been listening to Harrison's solo catalog over the past couple of days. I really did like Cloud 9 when it came out and I still do - but man, it sounds a lot like ELO - which called to mind a great post by Steve Hoffman:

Why?

I'll tell you:

This is a (gentle) complaint I have about John/George's early solo stuff — so much of it sounds like it should be billed as Phil Spector feat. Lennon/Harrison. Still pretty great, though. 😎

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 12:05pm
This is a (gentle) complaint I have about John/George's early solo stuff — so much of it sounds like it should be billed as Phil Spector feat. Lennon/Harrison. Still pretty great, though. 😎
I really don't care for the drum sound on those early Lennon records. Too prominent in the mix and icy(?) for my liking. Odd how Ringo can sound like a detriment.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:37am

Why?

I'll tell you:

In essence he makes everything sound like The Beatles. ELO started out with Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood trying to emulate a Beatles style of pop baroque.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

In terms of sound, I always thought Oasis were much more ELO than Beatles.